Syd Barrett Artwork Stolen from London Gallery

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Syd Barrett Artwork Stolen from London Gallery

Post by Keith Jordan »

A Syd Barrett self portrait painting was stolen from London’s Idea Generation Gallery on Saturday 9 April, it was part of the ‘Syd Barrett Arts & Letters exhibition.

Libby Gausden, the owner of the painting and a former girlfriend of Syd’s has issued a heartfelt plea for its return.

A reward of £2,000 has been offered for information leading to the painting’s safe return – callers should contact Ideas Generation Gallery on Tel: 020 7749 6850.

Syd Barrett painted the self portrait between 1961 and 1962 and gave it to Libby Gausden, his then girlfriend. This was the first exhibition to have shown the 31cm x 23cm painting.

Libby Gausden said, “I am very upset at the theft of the painting, it has huge personal value to me and I am appealing for its safe return.”

Eloise Rowley, Gallery Manager, confirmed that the painting was stolen from Idea Generation Gallery, 11 Chance Street, EC2, on Saturday afternoon between 2.15 – 3pm.

If you have any information about the theft, please do get in touch with the gallery at the phone number above, or contact NPF here.
stickman
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Syd Barrett Artwork Stolen from London Gallery

Post by stickman »

Ok which one of you has it ?????
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The artwork was posted back to the gallery this morning. Seems like the thief had a change of mind! :?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

The security must have been seriously lax if someone could just walk off with the painting. Anyway, it's good news that the thief returned it for whatever reason.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

snifferdog wrote:The security must have been seriously lax if someone could just walk off with the painting. Anyway, it's good news that the thief returned it for whatever reason.
Theres isnt any security there unfortunately. As you walk in theres a desk with 2 women sat at and they just ask you to sign in and out, thinking about it I never signed out so I hope no one goes back for me if theres a fire! :O It did strike me how easy it would be to walk out with many of the items on display. The only other people to keep an eye on you are the other punters. I didnt spot any cameras either come to think of it. Glad its been returned, the painting in question was quite large so they were certainly a bold thief, fortunately one with a concience too.