Incorrect Pleasures: "The Interesting Case of Syd Barrett"

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
swanlee
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Incorrect Pleasures: "The Interesting Case of Syd Barret

Post by swanlee »

One problem I have with theories about him having other conditions is the fact the dramatic change that everyone describes literally happened over a weekend. Rick Wright told a story how he literally changed over a 48hr period after having a bad trip. We can all see in the pics that during the summer and or fall of 67 his eyes changed completely he stayed in a permanent state of shock after that short period of time his eyes were completely dilated after that where his eyes were normal before.

Sorry I still think a horribly bad trip literally fried his brain and he literally had physical brain damage after that which explains his sudden in ability to talk properly to others, eyes always dilated etc.

Their may have been some other underlying conditions but they never surfaced until the summer of 67 and they did so very very suddenly. Just watch the look of the week interview, Syd is crisp looking, sharp talking, totally together and very much a leader in his body language and his ability to talk with others. Then watch the American bandstand video and he is completely gone simply not the same person at all.

To me it was a very sudden incident that caused him permanent brain damage.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

swanlee wrote:One problem I have with theories about him having other conditions is the fact the dramatic change that everyone describes literally happened over a weekend. Rick Wright told a story how he literally changed over a 48hr period after having a bad trip. We can all see in the pics that during the summer and or fall of 67 his eyes changed completely he stayed in a permanent state of shock after that short period of time his eyes were completely dilated after that where his eyes were normal before.

Sorry I still think a horribly bad trip literally fried his brain and he literally had physical brain damage after that which explains his sudden in ability to talk properly to others, eyes always dilated etc.

Their may have been some other underlying conditions but they never surfaced until the summer of 67 and they did so very very suddenly. Just watch the look of the week interview, Syd is crisp looking, sharp talking, totally together and very much a leader in his body language and his ability to talk with others. Then watch the American bandstand video and he is completely gone simply not the same person at all.

To me it was a very sudden incident that caused him permanent brain damage.
I think it's a given that the drugs caused physical damage and permanently destroyed his brain, but the article is suggesting that he might have had other deep-rooted psychological disorders that probably contributed to Syd's drug habit.

But a theory is a theory. It's something you can take with a grain of salt. I was actually unaware of the fact that Syd's overall mental state changed within a matter of days, so I'm glad you shared that bit of info. :)
PCM72
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PCM72 »

All shareable observations, though I would say "caused permanent physical damage" more than "caused physical damage and permanently destroyed his brain". It's for that we still admire the Colosseum. With the due "assistance" a man without legs may win a running world championship (the will is important too, but we don't know almost nothing about the real Syd's wills).
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

swanlee wrote:Sorry I still think a horribly bad trip literally fried his brain and he literally had physical brain damage after that which explains his sudden in ability to talk properly to others, eyes always dilated etc.
Show me the money.

"Literally fried his brain". You mean LSD took out a skillet, filled it with oil, applied heat and braised chunks of his brain?

You need to start citing actual medical journals if you are going to make such stupid statements. Bring me the journal articles that mention anywhere that a single LSD trip can cause lasting brain damage and I will let this one slide. Perhaps it is because I (losely) study science that I get annoyed at such baseless claims. Perhaps you have a personal grudge against LSD, or you are one of the usual thick-heads who never 'got' hallucinogens and decided it was all "poofy artschool nonesense" or whatever, but you need to back up your claims.