2010 mixes

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Re: 2010 mixes

Post by RonToon »

my breakfast. wrote:...they are the dodgy lyrics thieved directly from somebody else's poetry.
Do you feel the same way about Syd's "Chapter 24"?
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

my breakfast. wrote:
Chris Moise wrote:Of course it is an original recording.
Yeah but it has been remixed. The guitar has been subtly re-EQ-ed (is that even a word?) and has had a slight shimmering chorus added. Telecasters are only 6 string guitars, so the slightly hazy detuning sound is a 2010 digital effect, not a 1967 analogue one (long before Roland put the first chorus pedal on the market).
Of course, it's still the "original unused recordings" though which was your question.
goodiesguy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by goodiesguy »

That remix combines peices from the original album version, and the alternate version from the 2007 piper release.

Also, does anyone notice the really bad edit on the original version when it goes "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" then an abrupt edit to "For all the time, spent in that room".
PemmicanHoosh
Axe
Axe

Post by PemmicanHoosh »

Well in my alternate universe we think that people are nuts who think the older mixes sound better. The 2010 Matilda Mother shows just how great Piper would sound if those cupid stunts at EMI hadn’t wiped all the 4-track tapes because they took up too much space. Perhaps the custodians of Leonardo Da Vinci’s archive should burn all his sketches because all that paper hanging around is a bit of a fire hazard.

Anyway, as for chorus guitars, no, not in my opinion. What you are hearing is how the guitar originally sounded, double tracked as it was. It also shares a track with the bass, which means both are locked together and what you do to one you do to the other. Clearly the bass is fine and double tracked (if you listen to just the left channel of either version you can hear it). So I think it always sounded that way, but you hear it more clearly defined now.

I do think that Nick Mason sings the first ‘wandering and dreaming, the words have different meanings, yes they do’, though I’m not sure.

Dominoes doesn’t have anything added, but you can hear that some beats have been moved a little to tighten up the drumming between the two drum tracks (they might even have moved the acoustic guitar a bit), but everything seems to be in place to me and it sounds better.
goodiesguy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by goodiesguy »

The only thing i dislike about the 2010 mix is that it has digital reverb on it.

I also dislike that changed one of the lines on "Octopus". on the 2010 mix, they used an inferior take of the line "Isn't it good to be lost in the woods, itsn't bad so quiet there, in the woods".