Dream about Syd Barrett

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
jamey1977
Embryo
Embryo

Dream about Syd Barrett

Post by jamey1977 »

This is the dream I just had:

Without any frame of context of how I arrived at that place/time, I found myself sitting next to Syd on the bank of a rock quarry. We were among a small group of other young men and women, all in our early-twenties. Everyone else was swimming and splashing about, enjoying the virtues and vibrancy of youth. Syd and I had finished up early, and were sitting together on the bank, Syd lost in introspective thought.
I then put my arm around Syd and uttered some affirmation to him, something like, "You know, you've always been such a good friend to me".
He turned to me, his eyes so sparkling and blue, and said, "I really have to be going soon, I need to go hang out with "Beth", to make her fall in love with me before it's too late." [I do not know who "Beth" is]
The moral, the impetous of that last line was Syd telling me without telling me with the half-life of his fragile psyche looming, and his implicit awareness of it, that he'd better get done all of the important things done he possibly can while he still has his faculties (and looks) intact. The bottom line was his awareness that he would be spending the next several decades in a self-imposed, isolating shell, and to savor adult relations now while he was mentally still able to join in them.
But it was all very, very sad, like a man conceding his date with the firing squad was nearing, and that he better rush as many things into a short span of time as possible.
And as one anecdtote came to light where an ex-girlfriend from his functioning years visited him post-catatonia and was shocked by his awkward, strange advances toward her - making her leave in a rush after him asking "You going to drop your knickers or what" to her - thus showing he had little-to-no capacity for wooing or arousing the love of an adult woman after his breakdown.

My dream narrative tells me that Syd knew that, in just a few years he'd no longer be capable of participating in the dating scene.

Very, very sad.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Re: Dream about Syd Barrett

Post by Chris Moise »

jamey1977 wrote:This is the dream I just had:

Without any frame of context of how I arrived at that place/time, I found myself sitting next to Syd on the bank of a rock quarry. We were among a small group of other young men and women, all in our early-twenties. Everyone else was swimming and splashing about, enjoying the virtues and vibrancy of youth. Syd and I had finished up early, and were sitting together on the bank, Syd lost in introspective thought.
I then put my arm around Syd and uttered some affirmation to him, something like, "You know, you've always been such a good friend to me"..
I must say, I found that really touching. Especially the last last line. It's wonderfully evocative of how emotionally attached one can get to music and to those who created it. Thanks for sharing that.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

When you woke up, had you made a bit of a mess?
jamey1977
Embryo
Embryo

Post by jamey1977 »

"...bit of a mess"?

Like tears, perhaps? No, not exactly.

But as a previous poster suggested, it's odd how one can be so inspired by an artist he's never met to then partake in scenarios with them in their dreams.

It is a little odd, as I used to be quite fixated on the Syd mystique, and how his psychological plight paralelled my own, but I haven't thought alot of Him for quite along time.

But his fragility is very moving.
Insert_name_here
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Insert_name_here »

I once had a dream about Syd being at my parent's house. I was standing in the front door of the house and Syd comes in. He was bald on top, but still had wild hair on the sides and back. I said to him, "Syd, man, 'The Madcap Laughs' was fantastic!". Syd looked at me, rolled his eyes, stuck his hand in my face, then walked into the kitchen. I remember in the dream thinking, "Dammit... I meant to say 'Piper' was a great album!" My one chance and I blew it.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Erm... sweet dreams.