Barrett the painter. Thoughts and analysis?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Barrett the painter. Thoughts and analysis?

Post by moom »

That's the Syd I know :D
Even from those paintings, I think, anyone could already say he'd been living in a world of his own. And we only got to catch a fleeting glimpse of it. 8)

And no, sorry, never heard of that boot. Maybe he played well because he was really into the whole music thing.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

The bootleg came quite recently. I got it this year, so.. I guess its recent.

And yeah, Syd was in a world of his own. He had a wild imagination, and what we saw was only a small part of him.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

But at the same time - he sparked an imagination of my own :)
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Yep. I tell you, I owe Syd a LOT. Before listening to him, I was in a creative rut. His music, art and personality literally opened new spheres for me. And I'm not romantacizing.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

The day I found out that he died, I realized he didn't. He just flew back into the sun... he shone just like it, and still does. Call me a nut, but great people do not just die. I think...
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Great people live on forever. Actually people have stereotyped Death. Who knows, Death may even be more beautiful than Life? Syd the mortal may have passed on with several other people (be they loved or unloved) but his soul is immortal and he forever remains a muse to many people.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Amen to that. And that's why when my time comes, I'm so not going to neither Paradise (boring), nor Hell (more torture? Hell no), - I'll wait for the one I love to join me, and we will travel the Universe, see stuff, meet others, see how Universe works, etc :) Some Interstellar Overdrive, eh?
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

And I'll play Pow R Toc H. Boo Boo bchh chh :lol:
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Btw, unlike most other musicians, Syd was a painter-musician, and not a musician-painter like Bob Dylan. (Hope I could explain that, I just posted this for coming back to the topic).
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Roger sure does that raven (?) thing very well there, I think he might have been one in his previous life :lol:

I have a copy of Syd's notebooks on my PC, too. Treasured item :)

And let's just forget Macca. I have postal stamps with his "works" (and I'm a philatelist), and... as much as I love him, the only reason he got those "paintings" out is his name/legacy. Good for him that he does not consider himself a serious painter. ;)
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Roger Waters is a great screamer.

I have a treasurehold of Syd related things. You may say I'm a (peaceful) fanatic. 8)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Me too :D Well, I can't say I have much, but... when I do get my hands on stuff, I'm raving like a child :D

Also, one could say Syd's paintings is just fashion of the moment. Hah... True, there was lots of psychedelia, but... I think Syd not only embraced it, but also made it his own. He was one of those few who made difference, made any significant change.

Oh, sorry, I have to go now... I'll be back eventually :) Have a nice eve!
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Yeah, I'm going off too. Nice to get to know you and we'll perhaps talk again! :D
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

moom wrote:...And no, sorry, never heard of that boot. ....
it was discussed here: Gyllene Cirkeln and several other threads besides
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

scarecrow wrote: Wasn't Mason asked about this in a recent interview and had no recollection of recording it? Maybe I have just made that up. Also quite possible all of the surviving band have forgotten about this recording?
That's right, it was in a July 2010 Wire Magazine article concerning an exhibition of Latham's art. Nick says the following..."I simply don't remember this project at all. I'm certain there are no tapes gathering dust, someone would've bootleged them by now."

Understandable he wouldn't remember since the recording was completed in a single session. Of course, he's wrong about the tapes though.