14 Hour Technicolour Dream - April 1967

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

14 Hour Technicolour Dream - April 1967

Post by rememberaday »

Hi guys!

Any known footage or audio of the famous all-night 14 Hour Technicolour Dream?

Sources state that Floyd arrived at the set exhausted after having arrived from Holland that very night.

So:

1) Anyone knows the set-list?
2) Known footage or audio ?
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Re: 14 Hour Technicolour Dream - April 1967

Post by rememberaday »

I checked Youtube and all they've got is the audio of Interstellar Overdrive (the london 66-67 version) plus footage of John F***ing High Lennon roaming round, stoned as shit and giggling at everything so Youtube doesn't help in this case.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Wikipedia's word on this : "Pink Floyd appeared right at the end of the show, just as the sun was beginning to rise at around five o'clock in the morning. The details of the set-list are rather sketchy; however, one source suggests that they played "Astronomy Domine", "Arnold Layne", "Interstellar Overdrive", "Nick's Boogie", and other material from their then unreleased debut album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn."

Wikipedia has improved in the past few years, but how reliable can it be in this case?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Footage exists in the briefest form imaginable. There is a promo for With a Little Help From My Friends by Joe Cocker that used recycled footage from the gig. Quite a few of the bands are there (including one where the guitarist throws his guitar in the air a few times) but Floyd appear only briefly.

You have to trust me on this one, Floyd appear briefly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR0xMR-1z2U

Tomorrow (featuring Steve Howe) had their set recorded and it made an official release a few years back. Hendrix was recorded too, though this has been released in a scattered form. Two tracks from his performance exist in a single-cam edit but it seems he was also filmed from infront of the stage. I think The Who were meant to perform but they chickened out or something.

Mitch Mitchell fell off an inflatable object during rehearsals and badly hit his head. I think he said it was one of the worst gigs of his career as his head hurt so badly.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

my breakfast. wrote:Footage exists in the briefest form imaginable. There is a promo for With a Little Help From My Friends by Joe Cocker that used recycled footage from the gig. Quite a few of the bands are there (including one where the guitarist throws his guitar in the air a few times) but Floyd appear only briefly.

You have to trust me on this one, Floyd appear briefly.
That footage is from the Christmas On Earth Continued, nothing to do with the 14 Hour Technicolour Dream.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Shiiiite.

Syd getting filmed at the 14 hour Technicolour Dream;

Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

my breakfast. wrote:Shiiiite.

Syd getting filmed at the 14 hour Technicolour Dream
Heh, you're going to hate me but that is from the July 29 Alexandra Palace "Love-In Festival" - often mis-labeled as 14 Hour Technicolor Dream though. Below is a snap of Syd at the 14 Hour Technicolor Dream from IT. Note Syd is wearing the same glasses he wore earlier that day during the Amsterdam photo shoot and Dutch 'Fan Club' TV appearance.

rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Syd looks very 8) un-Sydish in that photo !
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

It's quite funny this thread, uptill now it seems like my breakfast is desperate to uncover footage or audio while Chris is rejecting every such theory :)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

No I just had my wires crossed. As Chris said I got the Technicolour Dream and Christmas On Earth mixed up. Not enough coffee yesterday. It is good he is keeping me on the straight and narrow! I think enough bullshit was/is propogated in the Barrett fan community without me spreading further disinfo!
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

my breakfast wrote: think enough bullshit was/is propogated in the Barrett fan community.....
Only too true.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I think we can blame Pink Floyd co for that. It seems that there was so little news during the '70s on Barrett that the fanzines made up stuff as they went along. People tend to believe these things have inside information when usually they are just making stuff up to get copies sold.....
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

And so the 14 Hour Technicolour remains a Dream........ :-({|=
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Pink Floyd's early years are mesmerizing for these reason - they were shrouded in mystery.