A rare screening of Pink Floyd: London 66-67

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
SuperCool Cinema
Embryo
Embryo

A rare screening of Pink Floyd: London 66-67

Post by SuperCool Cinema »

Hi everyone

I’ve just joined the forum so that I can let people know that we are screening Peter Whitehead’s 30 minute film Pink Floyd: London 66-67 (along with Easy Rider) in Winchester (Hampshire) in July. This is a rare chance to see it BIG and LOUD.

It was Peter who paid for the still unsigned Pink Floyd's first session in a studio in order to record Interstella Overdrive to use as the opening music of his film Tonight Let’s All Make Love in London.

Pink Floyd: London 66-67 comprises of this sixteen minute take of Interstella Overdrive, regarded by many as the definitive version, along with the improvised Nick’s Boogie. This wonderful music is accompanied with fantastically intimate footage of the band in the studio, on stage at the UFO Club and then at the 14 Hour Technicolour Dream.

You can get details of our screening and read all about how Peter Whitehead’s and Syd Barrett’s short but brilliant careers ran in parallel during the mid-60s in my blog post here – http://supercoolcinema.co.uk/pink_floyd_london_66-67/

If you can’t make it along then it’s also on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVrembZ7dVE

And whilst I'm at it, here is a priceless clip of Pink Floyd playing Astronomy Dominie and then being grilled by the BBC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTfDUyUkVYE
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Re: A rare screening of Pink Floyd: London 66-67

Post by rememberaday »

Well these vids are old and there have been threads about it but let me say (im my richest baritone voice :D )

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Now that that's done- London 66-67 really captures the mood that was present during psychedelic London. It's really great to see all the Floyd members in UFO as that was where they came to the limelight.

That Astronomy Domine Look Of The Week show is great too, and that Hans Keller interview is one of my favourites (and Hans Keller was a true interviewer too, unlike today's interviewers who just suck up to the musicians :o ).

And it is good to know that you are screening it :D
SuperCool Cinema
Embryo
Embryo

Re: A rare screening of Pink Floyd: London 66-67

Post by SuperCool Cinema »

rememberaday wrote:WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
Thanking you kindly!
rememberaday wrote:it is good to know that you are screening it
Ta! We were thinking of screening Tonight Let’s All Make Love in London but whilst the opening section still looks remarkable, many of the interviews have aged quite badly. What was shocking back in the mid-60s now seems a quaint curiosity.

Even though London 66-67 was merely a promo for Tonight…, it’s aged far better and remains a fascinating insight into the psychedelic era. In my opinion anyway :D
rememberaday wrote:Hans Keller was a true interviewer
True, we could do with more fearless interviewers in the mould of Hans, and much less Fearne Cotton!