Syd's views on Pink Floyd.

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Syd's views on Pink Floyd.

Post by rememberaday »

Did Syd actually care for Pink Floyd particularly after he was booted out? I think this is an interesting topic, if you count the fact that he was a painter at heart; maybe he just regarded Floyd as another thing. :?
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: Syd's views on Pink Floyd.

Post by Bigmanpigman »

From what I've read on this subject I'm not sure he did, who know's with such a mysterious character as Syd. I gather they all wanted to be rich pop stars when they started out and the irony is if he had held it together Syd had what it takes to be exactly that. Roger Rick and Nick could have been his backing band :lol: . With Syd's ability to write a 3 minute pop song what would Pink Floyd have become? Instead, Marc Bolan spotted a bit of Syd's gold-dust and took it for himself.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

All I know is he called SOYCD "A bit old" when he went along to the recording sessions. Imagine if Syd had Twitter? <.8.>
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Bigmanpigman wrote:Image
:lol: :lol:

On a side note, one has to remember that while Syd carved Floyd's destiny, he wasn't really a founder since they were already performing in various names such as The Screaming Abdabs and the Megadeaths and so on.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:All I know is he called SOYCD "A bit old" when he went along to the recording sessions. Imagine if Syd had Twitter? <.8.>

Yes, these sorts of quotes I have read.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

There's also been stories of how Syd, after just having being booted out of the band, would appear at their gigs and glare at Gilmour, as if to say, "That's my band!"

Which is why I started the thread, because it sort of contradicted Syd's attitude towards Floyd in his solo albums (which, you've got to remember, though released in 1970, were recorded even in '68). Maybe he was both angry and bitter at the probable "betrayal" of his bandmates. Who knows?

Most Syd fans will also know of David Sore, who was an attention seeker and spread a rumour (or maybe the truth??) about Barrett just after Syd's death. Well, Mr. Sore stated how Syd would scream "I'm gonna kill that fucking Roger Waters!". I think he also states that it was somewhere around '83-'85, which was when Roger Waters and the rest of Floyd were undergoing a tense part. Maybe Syd felt some sort of rage towards Waters for trying to disband his "Floyd"?

I know most of this is perhaps romantacized, but still!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I think there's an early 70s interview where he mentions something about the relationship between the rest of the Floyd and him. It was done around the time of his second solo album release or the Stars gigs, not sure.

And those rumours about him screaming the Roger Waters thing... I really can't see him caring about the fate of the band in the 80s. I always thought those rumours where about his frustration right around the time he was sacked from the band. I don't know really, it's just rumours.

It's only logical that Syd had conflicting emotions towards the Floyd though. On one hand he didn't feel confortable playing the pop star game, so in a way he didn't want to be there anymore doing that. But on the other, it was his band he was being sacked from, just as they where happily riding on the success achieved with his songs, and to add insult to injury they replaced him with a lookalike stand in, and it was the childhood friend that he had introduced to them! I guess that there could be some parallels to what happened emotionally to both Rogers when they left the band, both felt that Pink Floyd was their band and probably both felt kinda betrayed that the rest would continue without them.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Yes.

Mr Waters tried to (unsuccessfully) act like Syd. The reason he failed was because he tried to romantacize it and use it for his music whereas with Syd he was trying to escape from it.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

rememberaday wrote:Yes.

Mr Waters tried to (unsuccessfully) act like Syd. The reason he failed was because he tried to romantacize it and use it for his music whereas with Syd he was trying to escape from it.
I'm sorry, but exactly when did that happen? :lol:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I assume you're referring to the era circa Animals when Roger became very disillusioned/unhappy about the whole thing?
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

snifferdog wrote:

I assume you're referring to the era circa Animals when Roger became very disillusioned/unhappy about the whole thing?
Yea.
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

Post by Felix Atagong »

Somewhere early / mid 1969 Barrett was at Gilmour's apartment (only a few hundreds metres away from his) listening to an advanced copy the latest Floyd album (probably More).
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Felix Atagong wrote:Somewhere early / mid 1969 Barrett was at Gilmour's apartment (only a few hundreds metres away from his) listening to an advanced copy the latest Floyd album (probably More).
I didn't know that. Do you have any source or link which testifies to that statement?

We cannot really analyze Syd's case because when we do so, we are merely projecting our view of him.
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

Post by Felix Atagong »

Mark Blake wrote:In March '69, Barrett began recording The Madcap Laughs at Abbey Road, but his erratic behaviour in the studio resulted in Roger Waters and David Gilmour helping to oversee the sessions. Gilmour was now living in Richmond Mansions, a block so close to Wetherby Mansions that he could almost see into Syd and Duggie's kitchen window. One evening, Syd announced that he had to go out. Iggy wanted to go with him, but Barrett insisted she remain at the flat. "I think I thought he was seeing another woman," she says. "I got a bit jealous, a bit pouty - very silly. Duggie knew where Syd had gone but wouldn't tell me." With Syd gone, Iggy decided to pay a visit to David Gilmour instead. Fields helped Iggy back-comb her hair, plaster her face with make-up and paint her lips black. "I looked like Medusa. Like a banshee. Duggie then took me round to Dave's place. Dave was very beautiful and very cool, and his flat was nicer than Syd and Duggie's - it was warmer for a start. Dave opened the door, took one look at me, but didn't bat an eyelid."

When Iggy walked in, she saw Syd sat in Gilmour's living room. "I went in, shouting, 'OK, where is she?' thinking there was a woman hiding in one of the rooms. But, of course, the meeting had been with Dave about the record they were making together." Barrett left Iggy with Gilmour, but rather the worse for wear, she knocked the stylus on his record player accidentally scratching his copy of Pink Floyd's brand new album. "I have no idea what album it was, only that it was their new album," Iggy sighs. (The likely candidate seems to be Soundtrack From The Film More) "So Dave threw me out... If he ever reads this I would like to say sorry for scratching his record." Back at Wetherby Mansions, Barrett was unfazed by her planned defection: "Syd just said, 'Come in love, and I'll make you a cup of tea'. How sweet."
That's my girl! :lol:

Source: http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2011/01/ ... imo_2.html