Syd's views on Pink Floyd.

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Syd's views on Pink Floyd.

Post by rememberaday »

Thanks, Felix (I suppose you're in the Late Night Forum right?)

Syd was a loving soul, though he could be a bit violent at times. A complex personality, no doubt, and more danielcaux than the posers in today's music industry could ever be.
Last edited by rememberaday on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

Post by Felix Atagong »

rememberaday wrote:(I suppose you're in the Late Night Forum right?)
Right.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

rememberaday wrote:A complex personality, no doubt, and more rockstar than the posers in today's music industry could ever be.
You say "rockstar" as if it was somehow a good thing... :?
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

danielcaux wrote:
rememberaday wrote:A complex personality, no doubt, and more rockstar than the posers in today's music industry could ever be.
You say "rockstar" as if it was somehow a good thing... :?
Old chap, have you even read that post of mine, carefully? :D

(Ok, fine, I admit my mistake).
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

rememberaday wrote:There's also been stories of how Syd, after just having being booted out of the band, would appear at their gigs and glare at Gilmour, as if to say, "That's my band!"

Which is why I started the thread, because it sort of contradicted Syd's attitude towards Floyd in his solo albums (which, you've got to remember, though released in 1970, were recorded even in '68). Maybe he was both angry and bitter at the probable "betrayal" of his bandmates. Who knows?
Of the 1968 sessions, only two backing tracks have been used. The rest of the regular solo recordings are from 1969 and 1970.

I think that 1968 may have been a difficult year. In 1969, Barrett was in contact with Gilmour and Waters again. And I've understood from internet, that there was a jam session with Mason involved. A jam session to get Barrett into playing again. (Maybe this is from the 'Late Night Discussion Room'?)

I've read that Barrett visited the 'Atom Heart Mother' sessions, which must be in 1970. Sitting on his hands, smiling.
And I think I remember reading that Barrett visited a 'Dark Side' show in 1972.

Maybe the relation got difficult again in 1975, when Barrett visited the 'Wish You Were Here' sessions. The fact that Barrett even heard 'Shine On Your Crazy Diamond', as being a tribute to which he wasn't allowed to add his contribution, must be one of the biggest ironies in rock history. If only they would have recorded a snippet of him tuning or mumbling, the album would have been so much better as a tribute.
I've understood it that later this day, Gilmour had a party which Barrett visited. There, he was again not recognized. (I think that this is where the photo was taken, not in the studio.)
The fact that he wasn't recognized means a huge distance and maybe that's why he didn't bother contacting Pink Floyd anymore.

In 1979, 'The Wall' was released, containing a backwards message urging to contact "the Old Pink". Maybe Barrett got to know this and felt exploited? I mean, what professional interest does Pink Floyd have in Barrett, other than him being a "diamond" that nonetheless should stay outside of Pink Floyd?
rememberaday wrote:Most Syd fans will also know of David Sore, who was an attention seeker and spread a rumour (or maybe the truth??) about Barrett just after Syd's death. Well, Mr. Sore stated how Syd would scream "I'm gonna kill that fucking Roger Waters!". I think he also states that it was somewhere around '83-'85, which was when Roger Waters and the rest of Floyd were undergoing a tense part. Maybe Syd felt some sort of rage towards Waters for trying to disband his "Floyd"?
There are many, many "attention seekers". But because these people say that Barrett is great, they are not recognized as such. :)
My guess is that, if Barrett got angry towards Waters, it could have been around 1986, when Waters tried to stop Pink Floyd. As far as known, Barrett never tried to stop "his band" Pink Floyd. So, why would Waters?
In the mysterious booklet 'Fish Out of Water', Rosemary refers to Barrett being angry towards Waters. So, there seem to be two sources.

Barrett's own protests (in general) seem to have been, that he wanted to contribute. I think I read somewhere, that he tried to get on stage and that there was almost a violent situation of getting him off-stage, in 1968.
danielcaux wrote:I think there's an early 70s interview where he mentions something about the relationship between the rest of the Floyd and him. It was done around the time of his second solo album release or the Stars gigs, not sure.
I think that was in 1971. Barrett says something about being "off-hand" and driving around in car. (Possibly referring to him visiting Pink Floyd shows.)
danielcaux wrote:And those rumours about him screaming the Roger Waters thing... I really can't see him caring about the fate of the band in the 80s. I always thought those rumours where about his frustration right around the time he was sacked from the band. I don't know really, it's just rumours.
Even in 2001, Barrett showed interest in a BBC documentary about him and Pink Floyd. He watched that at his sister's house and enjoyed hearing 'See Emily Play'. And he seems to have always referred to Pink Floyd as "his band".

BTW. The Barrett song 'Here I Go' (1969) refers to being bothered about "that old band", hoping to forget it by starting a new life with a girl.