Random Precision

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
BlondeonBlonde
Axe
Axe

Random Precision

Post by BlondeonBlonde »

I ordered this book on Syd's recordings. Have any of you read it? I have heard that it is quite good and provides good information on Syd's recording sessions.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

it?s a gem ! :lol:

peace
zag
mikenyc
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mikenyc »

Reading this book, and going through "Crazy Diamonds", the various Syd Barrett bootleg cd collections, and especially the "Games for May" bootleg box, you can really appreciate the book's eye for detail and insight, that has REALLY never been given Syd before.

Essential reading, even if you're not a Syd Barrett fan.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Random Precision

Post by Wolfpack »

On page 255, under 'Complete Unreleased Outtakes 1970', the unreleased song 'Living Alone' is not mentioned anywhere.
(It does mention the then lost 'Dylan Blues'.)

Also strange that the book does list missing Syd Floyd tapes, but no missing Syd solo tapes (including the one with 'Living Alone').
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

An error concerning tape number E68336. On pages 128 and 132, 'Rhamadan' is mentioned as being recorded on 4track. On page 243, it is mentioned as being recorded on 8track. I guess the latter is wrong.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Page 186 mentions: "David Gilmour overdubbed a complete new backing track onto 'Winded & Dined' comprising acoustic guitar, bass and percussion (which, judging by the note on the tape box, is a sophisticated way of describing a tambourine!). The original LP sleeve confirms that all of these instruments were played by Mr Gilmour himself."
The phrase "complete new backing track" is confusing at least. The sleeve of the vinyl LP mentions: "All instruments - D. Gilmour, except Lead Guitar".
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Wolfpack wrote:An error concerning tape number E68336. On pages 128 and 132, 'Rhamadan' is mentioned as being recorded on 4track. On page 243, it is mentioned as being recorded on 8track. I guess the latter is wrong.
Didn't Malcolm and Syd tranferred some 4 track recordings to 8 track tapes for possible future overdubbs while doing the early 69 sessions for Madcap Laughs? Wasn't Rhamadan one of those?

I was reading Malcolm Jones' Making of Madcap recently. Amazing how Syd recorded almost half, and possibly the best, songs of the album in only 5 hours of the first day of recording: Opel, Terrapin, Love You, Here I Go, two complete early versions of Golden Hair, the vocals and guitar overdubbs of Late Night, and the solo version of No Good Trying! Compare that to the lazy asses of the Floyd recording Ummagumma! :)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:Didn't Malcolm and Syd tranferred some 4 track recordings to 8 track tapes for possible future overdubbs while doing the early 69 sessions for Madcap Laughs? Wasn't Rhamadan one of those?
Don't know if Rhamadan was among them. But if it would be an 8 track transfer, the tape number should be different. (So, it's still an error.)
danielcaux wrote:I was reading Malcolm Jones' Making of Madcap recently. Amazing how Syd recorded almost half, and possibly the best, songs of the album in only 5 hours of the first day of recording: Opel, Terrapin, Love You, Here I Go, two complete early versions of Golden Hair, the vocals and guitar overdubbs of Late Night, and the solo version of No Good Trying! Compare that to the lazy asses of the Floyd recording Ummagumma! :)
Most recordings are only backing tracks: guitar and vocals simultaneously. Taking hours for that is a long time.
What do you mean with "the solo version of No Good Trying"?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I meant the just Syd with guitar version, no overdubs done by Soft Machine. Yes, I know most of his songs recorded that day were just voice and guitar, but I still think is pretty amazing to record the voice and guitar masters for half an album in just 5 hours of studio time, and Terrapin in one take! Specially for a person that, by his bandmates accounts, was supposely completely out of his mind and not able to function in the music biz.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:Yes, I know most of his songs recorded that day were just voice and guitar, but I still think is pretty amazing to record the voice and guitar masters for half an album in just 5 hours of studio time, and Terrapin in one take! Specially for a person that, by his bandmates accounts, was supposely completely out of his mind and not able to function in the music biz.
For a person who is out of his mind, it's a miracle that anything got on tape.
A "normal" person would be able to record almost in real-time, as in a live concert.