Pink Floyd - Zabriskie Point soundtrack

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
3%
38%
25%
25%
1 - Worst
9%

Total votes: 32

crowman
Blade
Blade

Re: Pink Floyd - Zabriskie Point soundtrack

Post by crowman »

danielcaux wrote:Does any of you have alternate/personal running orders for an hypothetical Zabriskie Point Floyd only album?
Over the years I have, but I didn't arrive at my final version until after 370RY came out. I've only used songs that were on that album as I was satisfied with the analysis that these were the ones slated for release on a full album in 1970, but mine are in a different order. All versions from 370RY unless otherwise noted:

Heartbeat Pigmeat
Fingal's Cave
Crumbling Land (the officially released version, the extended car effects on 370RY get tedious for me)
Rain In The Country
---------hypothetical vinyl side break----------
Oenone
Alan's Blues
Country Song
Come In Number 51

I prefer this order to the one on 370RY. The two songs with lyrics are split to one on either side and the overall flow is better for a vinyl album.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

crowman wrote:
danielcaux wrote:Does any of you have alternate/personal running orders for an hypothetical Zabriskie Point Floyd only album?
Over the years I have, but I didn't arrive at my final version until after 370RY came out. I've only used songs that were on that album as I was satisfied with the analysis that these were the ones slated for release on a full album in 1970, but mine are in a different order. All versions from 370RY unless otherwise noted:

Heartbeat Pigmeat
Fingal's Cave
Crumbling Land (the officially released version, the extended car effects on 370RY get tedious for me)
Rain In The Country
Oenone
Alan's Blues
Country Song
Come In Number 51

I prefer this order to the one on 370RY. The two songs with lyrics are split to one on either side and the overall flow is better for a vinyl album.
Why Come In Number 51? I mean, Eugene was already a year old by that time. :?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Perhaps the title for Eugene was already held up by some sort of copyright and more money would need to be paid somewhere.

If nothing else, the Ummagumma cut might not have fitted the the film so they had to rewrite the song to fit the scenes better. From what I understand, the title is a reference to when you could go to your local park and rent a small boat to sail around the pond there. Usually there would be some cranky old man in a hut who would see that your allocated time had run out but that you were still over the other side of the boating pond, hence "Come in (boat number) 51, your time is up". It is a phrase my piano teacher used to use, though I cannot remember why.
central122
Embryo
Embryo

Post by central122 »

danielcaux wrote:
Does any of you have alternate/personal running orders for an hypothetical Zabriskie Point Floyd only album?

Hi all, i'm happy to have entered the forum.

Z-point is a collection of average pf songs, not great, but it isn't bad.

I have a personal vision of the album, and i spent time editing the tracks, so they have a consistent sound.

The list is as follows:

1. Love Scene - Version 2 (or Oneone) 7:35
2. Crumbling land 6:02 [i joined the rock intro (misnamed Rain in the country-suite on the off-takes bootleg) with the bootleg version of Crumbing land. This is faster, better sounding, with a bass solo at end, and without the truck noises]
3. The Violence Sequence 6:00
4. Unknown song (bootleg version w/piano) 6:43
5. Country song 5:15 (i worked hard whit this, because I wanted to mix the album version, which has a better sound, with the bootleg version that is longer. The problem was finding the right pitch, because the bootleg version is out of tune)
6. Fingal's Cave 6:21
7. Love Scene - Version 6 7:29
8. Love Scene - Version 4 6:46

I've uploaded this version to youtube.
wromanus
Embryo
Embryo

Post by wromanus »

crowman wrote:

Heartbeat Pigmeat
Fingal's Cave
Rain In The Country
Oenone
Alan's Blues
Country Song
Come In Number 51

Well, you know, everybody can make his set list of the Lost Album.....
Just the only right one is that I've made releasing the album with MQR.
Both my mates at MQR wanted this or that order.
It took a while to explain it all but in the end they agree with me.
That because i's not made on taste or feelings. It's made on a serious research with documents and witnesses.
my breakfast. wrote:But its 96 Roman Yards damnit! Can't you see! This information makes your life so much more complete!

Actually having a cursory glance at that new Z-point release it appears to be much the same as my old scratchy CD-R copies of the Z point stuff I got five years ago (at least). Pimpin' new artwork though.
My good Scottish breakfast!....
hehehe
Saw this and other posts from you about the topic.
Well, set up better your stereo and clean your glasses to read well all the notes of The Lost Album : 370 Roman Yards
Your posts will be a little better about this!
P.S. I really think you never been in Roma....
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

wromanus wrote:Well, you know, everybody can make his set list of the Lost Album.....
Just the only right one is that I've made releasing the album with MQR.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but MQR never presented any definitive proof of this. It was based on your research but in the end you ultimately assumed what the running order would be, right?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

nosaj wrote: 4. Fingal`s Cave (Take One) 6:43
10. Fingal`s Cave (Take Two) 6:21
danielcaux wrote:I really can't understand all the love for Country Song and Fingal's Cave in some fan circles either, the latter being basically just another weak attempt at writing a hard rock song like Ibiza Bar and The Nile Song, but not even having a good song structure, just the same riff played over and over.
I have heard 'Fingal's Cave', as said to be from ROIO 'Omay Yad' (1971), being 1:53 long. This recording matches your description "hard rock" and "same riff played over and over".
On internet I found a "Fingal's Cave", said to be from ROIO 'The Complete Zabriskie Point Sessions', being 6:43 long. And a "Fingal Cave Take One" of apparently the same ROIO, but lasting 6:57. (Apparently, the extra time is just silence.) The latter is identified by someone as being 'Oenone', a title which isn't listed on 'The Complete Zabriskie Point Sessions'.

Are "Fingal`s Cave (Take One)" and "Fingal`s Cave (Take Two)" in fact "Oenone (Take One)" and "Oenone (Take Two)"?

The 1:53 lasting "same hard rock riff played over and over" apparently is missing on 'The Complete Zabriskie Point Sessions'.
RonBaker2003
Axe
Axe

Post by RonBaker2003 »

I think (and thought at the time) that it was a pretty good album (if you just play the Pink Floyd tracks). "Crumbling Land" is a good song...the version of "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" is the best on record--at least studio wise...the rest may be filler, but it's good filler.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

ZP is Floyd at it's worst. Dragged their hung over asses into the studio for a few weeks, uninspired and constantly put down by the director. The only reason Antonioni asked the band to create the soundtrack was to secure a version of Eugene. That's all he ever wanted. And it's the lamest (lightest) version since the Peel sessions. Too fast, too short, and lacking all the atmosphere and tension of later versions. Crumbling Land is the only "okay" track on the album.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Interesting, I always thought THIS was Floyd at their worst! :D

I myself prefer this studio version of Eugene over the original one. Well, you know what they said about opinions...

IMO a lot of the ZP outtakes are way better than most of the stuff they did after The Wall.

Wolfpack, I believe that indeed those long takes of "Fingal Cave" are actually alt. takes of one of the "Love Scenes". And "Oenone" is in a way also an alternative name for one of those versions in particular.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

danielcaux wrote:Interesting, I always thought THIS was Floyd at their worst! :D.
Holy shit that should come with a warning. That mullet.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

danielcaux wrote:Interesting, I always thought THIS was Floyd at their worst! :D
That's pretty bad. God-awful. But not as bad as ZP. IMO.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Watched this last night - well that's two hours of my life I will never get back
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

I think all the material we now have across the Rhino release, Early years and bootlegs actually makes for a very interesting widow into the band's creative process in the studio we don't really have anywhere else.

As far as individual tracks go I think Crumbling Landing and Country Song are both nice little ballads plus Come In #51 and Explosion are very interesting alternate takes on Careful With That Axe plus of course the violent sequence is nice to hear in its original form. Actually though my favourite aspect of the sessions are the various layered Gilmour acoustic/electric layered guitar pieces, I'v always been a fan of this aspect of mid period Floyd and the various versions of Unknown Song are some of the best examples plus I think Love Scene version 7 is an improved version of the opening section of The Narrow Way with more soul to it.

Honestly I think the band would have been well served by releasing some of the above stuff much earlier than they did. I always felt that the CD version of Relics would have been better repurposed into a mix of early singles, ZP soundtrack and various early years outtakes from those sessions and elsewhere, basically the material people would actually have been buying it for in the first place.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Did you have any contact with Antonioni during the film?
"Constantly. Sixteen hours a day. It was too much."

Was "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" the only piece of music you did for the film?
"We did the whole soundtrack. He only used three pieces. He didn't like the rest of the stuff. He was afraid of Pink Floyd becoming part of the film, rather than it staying entirely Antonioni. So we were quite upset when he used all these other things. I mean if he had used things which we found better...there were only two pieces of music in the film that we did, really, and the other piece of music we did, was like, any other group could have done, really. A direct imitation really of Byrds, Crosby, Stills and Nash, or something."

"The drag is that MGM have a whole can of our music - enough to make an album," Gilmour said.