Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
30%
31%
24%
14%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 88

MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Re: Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets

Post by MoreOrLess »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 pm Impossible to think of without Let There Be More Light! That is a radical reworking. Maybe there was a bridge between TPATGOD and ASOS, and maybe it would include the different versions of "Have You Got It Yet?" even. But there hasn't been.
But it was beautiful seeing this album back in the charts!

And with regards Wolfpack's observation about White Noise, not only is that my favourite album ever, it was stated in the 1969 album they were massively inspired by A Saucerful Of Secrets.
Honestly I'v never been a massive fan of Let There Be More Light, the intro is nice but the song as a whole feels like its playing to the bands space rock image in quite a clichéd way they otherwise avoided. Remember A Day also has a really nice mysterious intro which I think could work well for the album as a whole.

Really though I spose you could argue the bands biggest drive was just to get the album out ASAP to prove they were still a viable prospect so waiting a few months might not have been an option.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

I think it's one of the very most underrated PF albums. And certainly the best PF album between Piper and Meddle.

Also, interesting as Wright gets the most lead vocals on it, and all 5 members take lead vocals at least once, even Mason.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Just listening to this album, not listened to it for a long time. Let There Be More Light sounds absolutely epic! I had forgotten how good it was. 8)
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Keith Jordan wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:29 pm Just listening to this album, not listened to it for a long time. Let There Be More Light sounds absolutely epic! I had forgotten how good it was. 8)
Has to be one of Pink Floyd's best ever album openers. From the bassline opening to the space rock outro... brilliant stuff.
Arnold Lane
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Arnold Lane »

Very much like PATGOD its a bit wacky and messy but it has a similar charm about it , its a landmark album . Its the only album that has the short lived 5 piece in the studio together . Its Gilmours introduction and Syds swansong , and what a swansong it was. its a 5 from me
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

brilliant and epic album, with the band doing their psychedelic era in an amazing, and also their first experimental masterpieces (title track). Creativity in full force! Love this, especially Rick's songs! FIVE!
Mark Zampino
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Mark Zampino »

Does anyone know if a Compact Disc release of the MONO Saucerful of Secrets will happen ???

Thanks all!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Mark Zampino wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:27 pm Does anyone know if a Compact Disc release of the MONO Saucerful of Secrets will happen ???

Thanks all!
It appears to be just vinyl. Same with the Piper release too.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Keith Jordan wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:11 pm
Mark Zampino wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:27 pm Does anyone know if a Compact Disc release of the MONO Saucerful of Secrets will happen ???

Thanks all!
It appears to be just vinyl. Same with the Piper release too.
Well that's a little bit silly, isn't it? High quality CD rips of those mixes are in desperate need.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:09 am Well that's a little bit silly, isn't it? High quality CD rips of those mixes are in desperate need.
:lol: Backup copies are essential.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

So I've been listening to the title track in all its different forms, and it's really hard for me to pick a favourite version. Now the track has always fared better live, but the thing is different parts of it are better on different versions.
For example, "Something Else", "Storm Signal" and "Celestial Voices" sound pretty damn awesome to me on the Ummagumma version, but the rendition of "Syncopated Pandemonium" on the Pompeii recording is far and away one of the band's greatest musical achievements, if for no other reason than Nick Mason's accelerating drumming bringing it to an almost panic-inducing pitch.