Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There?

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
71%
19%
6%
3%
1 - Worst
No votes

Total votes: 31

Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There?

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Hudini wrote:
drafsack wrote:I can't remember where I saw it but there is a scene in my mind of a band blowing up their audience and every on clapping and cheering - might have been something floyd related
As far as I know, the audience blowing to pieces while cheering has been an original idea for the ending of "In The Flesh" in the film, but the idea has been abandoned because the results of the test shooting were considered hilarious by the production crew. I don't know if any of the shots survived though.
But surely you couldn't have footage of an audience being blown up and not make it funny? I always thought that was a good idea of Roger's. Pity it never made the flim. It needed the comedy!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

You know, I bought the long box version when it came out and was flipping through the booklet recently, and have to say it is nice to have all the photos and "essays" - too bad the discs get scratched easily.

I like this release. It completely took me by surprise, because I didn't expect it to be released and there it was - I just happened to walk into a "record" store on release day.
EarlsFloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by EarlsFloyd »

Kill me, put this is the best album of PF in my opinion
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

danielcaux wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:39 am This is the closest thing to a definitive version of The Wall concept IMO. The double appearance of the MC adds another layer of self-reflexivity and entropy to the whole thing. It really underlines the cyclic nature of whole work, together with that spoken part at the end and begin of the studio album. It also has the "misterious" missing song from the album, the kick-ass What Shall We Do Now? and adds a new instrumental, The Last Few Bricks, which works pretty much like a coda recapitulating all the major themes played so far in the piece. We also get to hear a little more of Rick Wright input on the keyboards, which is always really welcomed by fans of the WYWH/Animals sound, including an organ solo on ABITW2 and more funky playing on The Happiest Days Of Our Lives. Add points for longer and complete guitar solo at the end of Confortably Numb and the maniac intro to Run Like Hell, done by "Pink" himself insulting the audience and screeching like Eugene, and you get a release as essential as the studio album.
This is virtually my opinion! [-D-] I always thought ABITW 3 was disappointingly short. Imagine my delight when I heard Last Few Bricks <ii>
cigar73
Embryo
Embryo

Post by cigar73 »

This is my go to version of The Wall.

I’m not a huge fan of the studio version but this is warmer and more soulful (if The Wall could ever be considered to have a soul) and eminently more listenable than it. More Rick, which is always a good thing, and an extended solo on Comfortably Numb before it became a rock anthem. What Shall We Do Now and More Bricks complete a nice package.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

cigar73 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:51 am This is my go to version of The Wall.

I’m not a huge fan of the studio version but this is warmer and more soulful (if The Wall could ever be considered to have a soul) and eminently more listenable than it. More Rick, which is always a good thing, and an extended solo on Comfortably Numb before it became a rock anthem. What Shall We Do Now and More Bricks complete a nice package.
I agree, it's refreshing to hear Comfortably Numb live before it lasted almost 15 minutes. Not to belittle those versions either, but I always find it interesting hearing songs live before they became encore staples.

Another version of The Wall that I enjoy more than the original studio album is the movie soundtrack. The versions of Mother, When The Tigers Broke Free and of course Empty Spaces/What Shall We Do Now? I find much more enjoyable to listen to!
shoutinyoursleep
Axe
Axe

Post by shoutinyoursleep »

I also like how some of the tracks are expanded, the grand piano tinkling during Another Brick part 1 which you don't hear in the studio version and Rick's Hammond organ ambience added onto the end of Goodbye Blue Sky and leading to the Krautrock sounding intro of Empty Spaces.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

If there's anything this album demonstrates it's that "What Shall We Do Now?" really should have been on the original album. I know the official reason is it was cut for time but Side 2 is 18:45. Assuming they dumped "Empty Spaces" like they did on all the live shows instead, it would even out to really about a minute and a half added to the side. And that wouldn't even be 22 minutes. So this choice continues to baffle me to this day, and this album and others like it restoring it helps the album quite a bit.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:48 am If there's anything this album demonstrates it's that "What Shall We Do Now?" really should have been on the original album. I know the official reason is it was cut for time but Side 2 is 18:45. Assuming they dumped "Empty Spaces" like they did on all the live shows instead, it would even out to really about a minute and a half added to the side. And that wouldn't even be 22 minutes. So this choice continues to baffle me to this day, and this album and others like it restoring it helps the album quite a bit.
i don´t think they ever dumped Empty Spaces on any live show?
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:48 am If there's anything this album demonstrates it's that "What Shall We Do Now?" really should have been on the original album. I know the official reason is it was cut for time but Side 2 is 18:45. Assuming they dumped "Empty Spaces" like they did on all the live shows instead, it would even out to really about a minute and a half added to the side. And that wouldn't even be 22 minutes. So this choice continues to baffle me to this day, and this album and others like it restoring it helps the album quite a bit.
What Shall We Do Now is kind of redundant...

But it's the sort of redundancy I can get behind.

Truly great song.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I think it was mainly part of Bob Ezrin's push to make the album more linear and concise. The longer version comes to a complete stop before the next song, so they'd most likely want to add (or already had) at least another four bars to the beginning of "Young Lust" (or sixteen bars, like in the live versions). By merging them, they probably trimmed off close to two minutes. Also, "What Shall We Do Now?" answers its own question, while "Young Lust" is the answer to "Empty Spaces". For the show, they had to kill time for the actual wall to be completed by the end of the first half, which is fifteen minutes longer than the studio version.
Velve Jones
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Velve Jones »

I enjoy this live album a lot. It represents what they sounded like in the days of those shows. Huge musical and theatrical undertaking. I especially like the longer solo section of Mother and all of the extra bits in the live arrangements
Eclips
Axe
Axe

Post by Eclips »

I really love this complete vision of The Wall concept. Those added songs really make a difference to the overall experience!

An amazing live album, sadly I didn't like the rather passionless versions of Hey You and Comf Numb here, but nothing can be perfect right? Except for WYWH and Animals, of course....and 70's Genesis :lol:
Velve Jones
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Velve Jones »

Eclips wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:14 pm I really love this complete vision of The Wall concept. Those added songs really make a difference to the overall experience!

An amazing live album, sadly I didn't like the rather passionless versions of Hey You and Comf Numb here, but nothing can be perfect right? Except for WYWH and Animals, of course....and 70's Genesis :lol:
Indeed, Hope we get some live Animals and WYWH, Fingers crossed.
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

Even though The Wall is far from my favorite Pink Floyd album, I wish this was available to buy as a download, because I think I would prefer the live performance. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available.