Syd Barrett - Barrett Album

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
53%
25%
12%
4%
1 - Worst
6%

Total votes: 51

oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Re: Syd Barrett - Barrett Album

Post by oldperfume »

"Gigilo Aunt, Baby Lemonade & Dominoes are all CLASSIC CUTS that should be put on the radio. This album is more electric than acoustic, but it's Syd. That's ALL that matters. Sounds like he's in better mental condition than he was on Madcap.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Actually I think it was quite the opposite. It seems like the production team on the first album had chosen to show him under the "madcap" light and then when he really was losing it they tried to disguise that situation with a more "conventional" sounding and polished album.
30yrsydfan
Axe
Axe

Post by 30yrsydfan »

Wined and Dined, Baby Lemonade, Dominoes, three amazing tunes. Wined and dined probably my favorite, the slide guitar is incredible and fits the song perfectly.
tebrookes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tebrookes »

"Wolfpack" sounds like nothing on else on Earth. Love that tune.
Mike Eder
Axe
Axe

Post by Mike Eder »

Great album! The songs are more polished and/or finished, but that doesn't mean they aren't good recordings or performances. Gigalo Aunt, Baby Lemonade, and Dominos really stick out as three of my favorite songs period. Perhaps this gives us the best idea of what a Syd lef Floyd would have sounded like at the time.
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

For me the best of the Barrett albums, with lovely tracks like Baby Lemonade, Dominoes, Maisie and Effervescing Elephant. Just so fresh and nice. I rate this a 5.
shoutinyoursleep
Axe
Axe

Post by shoutinyoursleep »

Love this album, I ripped the CD a while back into Itunes and Itunes the fecker mixed up the bonus stuff with the album, so you had three or four versions of each track to plough through to find the original one. A minor quibble but more so to Apple than the CD. I find when listening to Giglio Aunt both on this and the Peel Sessions that it typified what would become sort of Brit Pop. I can imagine it inspired the likes of Jarvis Cocker from Pulp and Damon Albarn from Blur. Waving my arms in the air and Dominoes, Wined and Dined are other supreme favourites from this ditty.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

I really can't get into this album.Any tips of a starting point for Syd's solo career?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Eclipse wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:32 pm I really can't get into this album.Any tips of a starting point for Syd's solo career?
1. Atom Heart Mother
2. Effervescing Elephant
3. If
4. Waving My Arms in the Air
5. I Never Lied to You
6. Summer '68
7. Dominoes
8. Fat Old Sun
9. Baby Lemonade
10. Explosion (from Zabriskie Point)*
11. Gigolo Aunt
12. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast

You'll be all set!

* The major-key rendition of "Careful With That Axe, Eugene", which features a few keyboard parts that Rick would work into "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" after they lost custody of the tapes from that session.

Barrett was recorded at the same time as Atom Heart Mother, with Rick and Dave playing most of the instruments, so they fit together quite well, while The Madcap Laughs has more in common with More.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

thanks a lot for this!
seems to be a great playlist, within the context of the years those songs were released!
Gonna try to warm up to his solo albums then.
cheers!