Pink Floyd - Meddle

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
45%
46%
7%
No votes
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 126

Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - Meddle

Post by Stephen »

Come to think of it Meddle is one of only three Floyd albums I would play without skipping lots of tracks ( the others being DSOTM and Ummagumma)
SpeedIntensity
Embryo
Embryo

Post by SpeedIntensity »

Summer Sunday afternoon, sitting in the backyard, speakers in the window, baking in the sun, well toasted inside and out...that is Meddle to me. It's a moment in time captured til I close my eyes for good. And it's my favourite album overall, not just my fave PF album.

Who doesn't like the cheering in Fearless, it's brilliant! Back when people actually made some effort to make noise at a football match. Makes me think of flat caps, big buggers' grips sideburns, and old brown footballs that weigh about ten pounds when they're wet and give you brain damage when you head them...
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Meddle = yet another candidate for my 5th ever Floyd album
my schoolchums and I all rushed out to buy their early albums after I got Animals so I cant quite remember the exact sequence I heard them in, plus there might have been some doobage involved by this point

obviously two polished masterpieces sounding much like their better known concept albums, padded out by some some filler similar to that on Saucerful: uncharacteristic songs that they never performed live and never really revisited in style again
One of These Days however was obviously to my ears very similar to my beloved Shine On ptVI, even down to the blatant recycling of the wind effect

unlike a lot of yall, I actually like Seamus: its only two minutes long, and it may the be the only time they demonstrated a sense of humour in all the years since Syd left

it was decades before I learned what the cover was meant to be, I just assumed it was what you saw if you took enough acid to truly deserve to listen to this album

alright, we're still lacking a Live in Pompeii thread but first time I heard OotD and Echoes live was of course watching that film on latenight cable teevee, and that is most certainly a topic all in itself

but, thang is, I did get to genuinely hear both those songs live when the DaveFloyd played Toronto in september 1987
they opened with Echoes, and I was indeed powerfully stoned on good blotter as I melted my way into CNE Stadium
and I got to experience what the Azimuth Coordinator was all about as Daves guitar took a cicular stroll around the stadium walls, first during the pseudofunk "jam", then again during the disturbing whalenoises section

getting to see Dave and Rick perform it a second time, Massey Hall 2006, this time so close I could spit on them, makes me one very lucky FloydFan
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe

Post by Jack Wolf »

Meddle

1. One Of These Days: Excellent opening track, I love the intensity. - 9.0
2. A Pillow Of Winds: A dreamy, melodious song, very relaxing. 8.5
3. Fearless: A mostly mellow track. I don't think the ending fits well with the rest of the song. Still good overall. - 7.5
4. San Tropez: Another light, mellow song. I love the piano section in this, a very catchy melody. - 8.5
5. Seamus: I thought this little diddy was well done. Not just "filler" as some critics say. - 7.5
6. Echoes: Not much needs to be said. This is widely accepted as being one of Pink Floyd's greatest contributions to music, and I happen to agree! - 10

7. Album Artwork: This is the first piece of Pink Floyd album art that takes up both the front and back covers of the album. I have the mini LP replica that came with the 2007 box set, and it looks exceptional. One of the most beautiful album covers I've ever seen. - 10

Final Score: 8.7 (out of 10)

Final Word: A mostly magnificent album with a mid section that could have used a little more umph! Having three mellow songs in the middle was probably a mistake. Fearless should have been a more powerful song to balance out the mellow songs that come before and after it. Still one of Pink Floyd's best efforts.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

PublicImage wrote:
Stephen wrote: That's why I gave DSOTM four stars. It's a strong album but a few of the songs are lacking. .
Like what?
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

My 2nd fav. Floyd album. I'm not too keen on Fearless though. That weird rythm guitar work just irritates me but theres a sublime guitar break in the middle. I suppose you just have to learn to live with ST & Seamus. They'd have been good on Relics but no one in their right mind wouldn't have prefered something more suited to the rest of the album. The high point is David's guitar lines on Echoes which are just the epitome of how beautiful music can be.
progo
Axe
Axe

Post by progo »

Not a fan of the middle songs. Out of Meddle, 97 % of the time I listen to Echoes only. Because of the big E, this gets a raving fiver. I wish they did more of this sort.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

As I mentioned before, Meddle was the first Floyd music I ever heard back in the early '70's and one of the few that I like in its' entirety. The tracks that some people see as negatives, were the very things that attracted me to it in the first place and made me want investigate further. The fact that one album contained a wonderful 23 minute soundscape that took up an entire side and mixed it with a cool jazzy song and a slow blues featuring a howling dog is what gave it its' charm for me. My thoughts are the same regarding the inclusion of a ranting Scotsman on Ummagumma.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I don't mind the song with the howling dog. It's a bit throwaway but still... Could you imagine many of today's acts doing something like that?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Meddle
1. One Of These Days: Cunning use of then-current technology. Terry Riley's influence is all over this. 8/10
2. A Pillow Of Winds: Boring. Like an uninspired Gilmour solo track. Says nothing. 3/10
3. Fearless: Poor use of 'found sound' recording, boring track. Sounds like a shit version of Journey of the Sorcerer 3/10
4. San Tropez: Campy, dull, boring. 1/10
5. Seamus: Barely a track of barely music. 0/10
6. Echoes: Has an overly-long ambient section and the funk sections won't fool Bootsy Collins, but some genius remains. 8/10
SteveB
Embryo
Embryo

Post by SteveB »

I usually listen to the CD version of Echoes.
Though occasionally I treat myself and play my original vinyl version whilst lying down in a darkened room -
Transports you back, what, 40 years?? Brill. :)
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

SteveB wrote: Though occasionally I treat myself and play my original vinyl version whilst lying down in a darkened room -
Transports you back, what, 40 years?? Brill. :)

8)
I'm able to do this - even without putting on the vinyl, ha ha.
ricky66
Axe
Axe

Post by ricky66 »

I rarely play this album all the way thru but I really enjoy Fearless (chanting notwithstanding) can't understand why people are bagging it. I prefer the interplay between guitar and keys on live versions of echoes but I agree, it's a phenomenal piece.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

my breakfast. wrote:Meddle
1. One Of These Days: Cunning use of then-current technology. Terry Riley's influence is all over this. 8/10
In what way? I can't hear any T.R influence. Not in comparrison with The Who and the synth parts on Baba O'Reiley and WGFA.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I changed my vote from a 5 to a 4. I think Meddle is hyped to be underrated, but it's not so consistent with all of its songs. While Echoes is great and One of these Days is a great opener, A Pillow of Winds and San Tropez aren't all that special. That said, though, the true disappointing moments lie in Fearless and Seamus- maybe they were the first "nothings" to come out during the Meddle Sessions! :roll: