Pink Floyd - The Wall

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
54%
23%
14%
3%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 147

PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Post by PooF »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:A great album, although the 4th side does tend to wallow too much in bombast and dreariness for me.
I was going to be unkinder about that Side 4, but I think that is fair comment.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Each side of "The Wall" has it's ups and downs. I sometimes skip most of Side 3.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Its good - its the end of an era - its the forth side of the trilogy :D upto and including Animals the music was more important than the words on this album its 50/50 and on the final cut the words are now more important than the music
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yeah...then you get to AMLOR and TDB and neither one is particularly important anymore. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

mosespa wrote:Yeah...then you get to AMLOR and TDB and neither one is particularly important anymore. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah yeah :lol:
marksman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by marksman »

Because of this album I really started listening to Pink Floyd. I mean, before that I was listening a lot to WYWH and DSOTM, but only after the Wall I really got into it.
Now I don't play it a lot, I prefer other albums and pieces, but the Wall sits somewhere inside me.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Never liked The Wall. I was in high school when it came out the same month as Duke by Genesis. I bought Duke. I still have that. I've never owned The Wall but lots of my friends and roomates have. I've only listened to it all the way through once and that was enough torture.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

well, it´s better than Final Cut. I rather listen Luther Wright & The Wrongs covers, they can play country/bluegrass music with a right attitude !
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

5/5

Floyd remains relevant into the 80's. Very relevant for some. Millions, actually.
This album is mysterious and incredible when you first hear it. Before you over-analyze it. Before you read the Waters interview where he explains it track by track. It was better before I over analyzed it and read the interview, for sure. But still, it's Pink Floyd The Wall.
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

To quite loosely paraphrase critic Robert Christgau's comment on the Stones' Exile.

"The Wall is the most disjointed, incoherent, whiny, self-indulgent narcissistic train wreck ever wedded to vinyl. A+"

Quite simply, there's nothing else like it. May not be my favorite album ever, but it's certainly the double album I've listened to straight through more than any other.

True story: one of my college buddies always liked to record the B sides of his vinyl albums onto cassette first for some reason, then do the A side second. So one day he puts on The Wall, and out comes Goodbye Blue Sky . . .

"What the fuck?" I say. "Oh, the side B thing. But this is The Wall. You can't do that."

"Sure I can," he says. "Why not?"

"Because it's The fucking Wall," I fume. "You'll ruin it."

He laughs, and snickers.

Enraged, I jumped up, ripped out the tape, flung it out the dorm window, and ran out the door. I return with another cassette.

"Here take mine," I said. "I have two more. And listen to it right from now on, asshole."
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Was that room mate named Quentin Tarantino? :lol:
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

I think that if you have an understanding of the post war mentality of The Wall it helps to enjoy the depth of the despair that so apparent throughout the entire work.

I had a friend who had never heard it, we were sitting on the patio when the part with the helicopter came on, he jumped out of his chair and dashed off into the woods. It gave me some new insight into his character, to say the least.

I love The Wall. Especially when bad things are happening in my life, it always seems to comfort me. 8)
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

mosespa wrote:Was that room mate named Quentin Tarantino? :lol:
Reference lost on me. The only of his movies I saw was Pulp Fiction.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

what was the chronological sequence of events in Pulp Fiction?
actually The Wall is kind of like that, even if you play the sides in the right order
flashbacks within flashbacks with perhaps only two or three songs set in "the present"
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

Oh right. I remember now. Carry on.