Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
10%
21%
28%
20%
1- Worst
21%

Total votes: 143

mosespa

Re: Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by mosespa »

battra wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:34 pm One thing I always wondered though, with Roger gone, why didn't Rick sing more? (For Reason, I mean, obviously...)
Because he wasn't in the band when the bulk of that album was recorded. IF he even plays on the original release, it was probably "afterthought" sort of stuff, just to make the band lineup look stronger or to make things sound more Floydian (a failure, if you ask me.)
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

mosespa wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:07 pm IF he even plays on the original release, it was probably "afterthought" sort of stuff, just to make the band lineup look stronger or to make things sound more Floydian (a failure, if you ask me.)
One of many reasons that album fares so much better on live recordings and the 2019 remix.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Last edited by azza200 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:13 pm
battra wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 pm Can you explain your analogy to me as I'm missing something here.
I don't believe I used any analogies; you're the one making irrelevant references to Star Trek and professional sports.

Again, full performances of Dark Side of the Moon on the '94 tour were not in the original plan, and as far as I have read, were not advertised as such. Their setlist already included most of it, so they brought it all together by the end of the tour to finally have an official live recording of it. Roger even turned down an invitation to join them for those performances, while publicly criticizing them for playing old favorites. A decade later, he carried out a full-blown Dark Side of the Moon tour featuring no new material. He followed that with a full-blown Wall tour featuring no new material. Please see the Is This the Life and related threads where I shared his comments regarding his minimal involvement with the creation and production of that album and its "throwaway" songs.
Analogy, allegory, comparison, simile, metaphor, whatever term you'd like to use.

"Nothing Roger wrote after that point (which was mostly written years earlier) compares to his prior work, and while some of his later songs have great moments, they are few and far between."

What do you mean by the term "PRIOR" work. Let's be specific here, because I don't understand what you're saying.

Yes, I make allegories, analogies, etc to help folks understand what I'm saying, because I don't always know if I'm explaining what's in my head and colorful references are fun. :)
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:54 am
battra wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 pm As for Dave, I love his first solo record and I love his third. The second and fourth...eh...it's kind of like reverse Star Trek movies.
Strange analogy, though one I do understand. And this is something that is mostly down to personal taste so I'm not going to try and say you're objectively right or wrong. But I will personally maintain that I reckon About Face and Rattle That Lock are a little hard done by, just as I'll also say that for odd numbered Star Trek films (with the exception of The Final Frontier, which is just pretty terrible).
I like the odd numbered ones, save the first one...coz...ugh...boooorrrriiinnnggg....

No taste is objective, man.

And I'll be the first to tell you my taste is basically crazy town if you want a majority opinion. I tend to love the odder albums by bands.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 pm
battra wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 pmI buy albums. Give me those rough edged records. I'm going to listen to those way more than I'm going to spend at a concert.
Well according to Roger, you don't buy enough of his albums to make it worth his while to perform them. He considered touring Amused to Death after it was released, but only "if it sold between three to four million worldwide. I'd have to feel sure in my own mind that there was enough interest." Yes, he was in a bad place, and had been let down by fans, and had hemorrhaged money since leaving the band, but he never considered moving forward on a scale more proportionate to his fanbase - he just stopped making albums for the next quarter of a century. The timeline is interesting, because artists made less and less from album sales through the 1990s, and more and more from ticket sales. Gilmour repeatedly turned down huge amounts of money to continue touring after Pulse was released, with even Roger trying to get him onboard with a full tour after Live 8, which he promptly shot down.

"Well, sometime, like, two winters ago I thought of touring, you know doing a few gigs in Europe and I'd sort of decided not to, when Formula One, you know, the motor racing organization in France, decided they wanted a gig at the same time as the Grand Prix. They called up different agencies, asked if Pink Floyd would play Dark Side of the Moon, and they got told, "No, they won't." And so they said, "Well what about Roger Waters, would he come and play Dark Side of the Moon?" And so they approached me and I was very surprised and I thought about it for a bit and I thought "Well why not?" I think it's a great piece of music and I hadn't played it since 1974. So I thought about it and I said, well, you know, "What are the numbers?" And they came up with a big number and I said, "Well, maybe we could."
Yucateco wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:25 amI must have somehow missed those albums with enjoyable music.
Sorry about your luck. Even on Gilmour's last two tours, less than half of the show was Roger-era material, even though they could've fit several more songs in place of "Sorrow" and "High Hopes", but at the shows I attended, those two songs got the same reaction as "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".
Well of course I don't buy enough of them!

Though I did buy the first two solo records twice...but the second times each were used on vinyl.

In my most recent Podcast (Glacially Musical Pordcast which published today).... I took Roger to the woodshed for not playing his solo material enough actually.

(NOTE: It's not a Pink Floyd podcast, it just so happened this week's guest did a cover of In The Flesh?/One of These Days on their latest album.)
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

mosespa wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:07 pm
battra wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:34 pm One thing I always wondered though, with Roger gone, why didn't Rick sing more? (For Reason, I mean, obviously...)
Because he wasn't in the band when the bulk of that album was recorded. IF he even plays on the original release, it was probably "afterthought" sort of stuff, just to make the band lineup look stronger or to make things sound more Floydian (a failure, if you ask me.)

I realize, maybe only now, that this is AMLOR thread, but I was also referring to the next album.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

battra wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:19 pm I like the odd numbered ones, save the first one...coz...ugh...boooorrrriiinnnggg....

No taste is objective, man.

And I'll be the first to tell you my taste is basically crazy town if you want a majority opinion. I tend to love the odder albums by bands.
Entirely fair. And as entirely off topic as it is I sympathise with you on the first ST movie. Tried to be 2001, and failed.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:17 pm Analogy, allegory, comparison, simile, metaphor, whatever term you'd like to use.
Those words are not synonymous.
battra wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:17 pmWhat do you mean by the term "PRIOR" work. Let's be specific here, because I don't understand what you're saying.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:46 am ...this was really only true up to and including The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking.

Nothing Roger wrote after that point (which was mostly written years earlier) compares to his prior work, and while some of his later songs have great moments, they are few and far between.
I was trying to say that Pros and Cons was Roger's last consistent and complete album, and noted that it was mostly written (as far as we can know without hearing his home demos) in 1978. So when I say "prior work," I mean everything up to and including The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. If that was somehow not specific enough, I'm sorry.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:22 am
battra wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:17 pm Analogy, allegory, comparison, simile, metaphor, whatever term you'd like to use.
Those words are not synonymous.
battra wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:17 pmWhat do you mean by the term "PRIOR" work. Let's be specific here, because I don't understand what you're saying.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:46 am ...this was really only true up to and including The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking.

Nothing Roger wrote after that point (which was mostly written years earlier) compares to his prior work, and while some of his later songs have great moments, they are few and far between.
I was trying to say that Pros and Cons was Roger's last consistent and complete album, and noted that it was mostly written (as far as we can know without hearing his home demos) in 1978. So when I say "prior work," I mean everything up to and including The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. If that was somehow not specific enough, I'm sorry.
Thanks, Homie.

Also, I'd say man, don't take this so serious. :)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:29 pm Also, I'd say man, don't take this so serious. :)
I generally just assume English is the other person's second or third language, but you kept asking for clarification.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:34 pm
battra wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:29 pm Also, I'd say man, don't take this so serious. :)
I generally just assume English is the other person's second or third language, but you kept asking for clarification.
Nah, man.

Japanese is my third language. Written and spoken.

Yeah, I guess I was supposed to know that you felt prior work meant specifically a single album and not the plethora of previous albums. :)

Again, you're taking it too seriously, dude.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 pm Yeah, I guess I was supposed to know that you felt prior work meant specifically a single album and not the plethora of previous albums. :)
I truly hope you're kidding, because I absolutely meant all of Pink Floyd's albums as well. If not, someone needs an intervention.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:56 pm
battra wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 pm Yeah, I guess I was supposed to know that you felt prior work meant specifically a single album and not the plethora of previous albums. :)
I truly hope you're kidding, because I absolutely meant all of Pink Floyd's albums as well. If not, someone needs an intervention.
Oh, but when I stated the Pink Floyd albums that I felt were better...you said no not those....

Dude.

Are you ok, man?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:36 pm Oh, but when I stated the Pink Floyd albums that I felt were better...you said no not those....
One last time: I wasn't only comparing Roger's "later work" (post-Pros and Cons) to their classic albums...I was also comparing it to The Final Cut and Pros and Cons, because even though they were commercial duds, they are exponentially better than anything he's made since.
battra wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:36 pm Dude.

Are you ok, man?
You might wanna find an online support group for adults with limited reading comprehension skills, in the language of your choice. This is just the English-language online support group for people that take Pink Floyd too seriously.
Last edited by ZiggyZipgun on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.