Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
19%
36%
19%
18%
1 - Worst
8%

Total votes: 120

ZiggyZipgun
Knife
Knife

Re: Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I don't think any of those bands compare to any incarnation of Pink Floyd. I'm pretty sure a lot of the synth-pad ballad stuff that came out in the '80s was directly influenced by things like "Us and Them", "Shine On", "Wish You Were Here", and "Comfortably Numb" - of course they don't sound anything like those, because synthesizers changed so much from '75 to '85. Some have said that the theme of A Momentary Lapse of Reason was that new technology, which they dove into in the absence of Roger's input. So really, Pink Floyd's sparse instrumentation and relatively primitive technology influenced younger bands that immediately grasped the digital delays and polyphonic synths, who then made that the norm, and it wasn't until the late '80s that Pink Floyd caught up. The Division Bell was less about experimenting with new gear and production methods, and more about using it in the way they would have if it had been available in the '70s. It sounds different, but I think the songs would hold up very well if they were to reissue it using the more vintage approach that Gilmour's been working with since On An Island. And similarly, I think songs from David Gilmour would fit in nicely with the Division Bell material, if they were revamped in that same early '90s style. The guitar solo on "Poles Apart" is one of his best, and "Marooned" is one of my favorite pieces of music ever recorded (I'd like to think Roger soiled himself when it won a Grammy). Maybe Polly's lyrics aren't on the same level as Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here, but neither are any of Roger's since he quit.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I think Polly's lyrics are better on RtL. Like pretty much any other lyricist, including Waters, she is taking time to learn her craft. It's a bit unfair, I think, to compare her on TDB to peak Roger Waters.
ZiggyZipgun
Knife
Knife

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:49 pm I think Polly's lyrics are better on RtL. Like pretty much any other lyricist, including Waters, she is taking time to learn her craft. It's a bit unfair, I think, to compare her on TDB to peak Roger Waters.
Rattle That Lock was when she stopped writing from David's point of view, and just wrote whatever she wanted. He did write "Faces of Stone" and "Dancing Right in Front of Me" himself - both of which feature particularly good guitar solos (I mean, they all do, really).