Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
21%
35%
18%
18%
1 - Worst
8%

Total votes: 133

El Vid
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Post by El Vid »

Love this album. No matter if Roger is not there, I love it, as I love PULSE and David's solo works.

BTW: Last saturday I found a PULSE copy with the flashing LED... SEALED <.8.> <ii> \:D/
And with an extra booklet in japanese [-D-] :smt003
MeanMrKetchup
Axe
Axe

Post by MeanMrKetchup »

Pink Floyd's final album, I gave this one a 4. It's definitely a dramatic improvement to their previous album, A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, as well as being more of a group effort, and even just from that fact, that this album is a Floyd album, instead of a Dave Gilmour with some other guys makes this a more enjoyable listen from the start.

Cluster One is mysterious and beautiful, the piano is perfect and the guitar which answers it is a wonderful compliment. The imagery is magnificent. From the beginning of the next song, What Do You Want From Me, there is a stark contrast, a funky and powerful beat kicks in and Dave's raspy voice begins the albums concept of lack of communication, in this case directed toward the fan base, a good song. Poles Apart has a simple acoustic guitar riff, which is actually quite beautiful in its repetition, David's vocals are done very well and the guitar solo is perfectly suited to the record. Marooned isn't my favorite but is well done, well, it should be, it won a Grammy I believe. A Great Day For Freedom is a great song, seems to be this albums equivalent to On The Turning Away, from Momentary Lapse... In my opinion, A Great Day For Freedom is superior.

I've noticed that Rick's contribution to the album, Wearing The Inside Out has received mixed reviews from fans. It seems that you either love it or hate it. I personally am somewhere in between, it's a little dull, but Rick's vocal performance is well done, in his soothing, soft tone. Take It Back is supposedly very much in the style of U2, I personally wouldn't know, but I like the song - it has a nice melody and a good rhythm to it. David shines on the following track, Coming Back To Life, his opening solo being one of his most beautiful (although I prefer it played slower, live) and gives me images of being marooned on a dessert island. Seems to work better for me than the piece of the same name. The rest of the song is nice, once again with a great melody. Keep Talking is well done, the backing singers do a nice job here but certainly don't overshadow the wash of clever work from the rest of the band; some people aren't to fond of the inclusion of Steven Hawking, doesn't bother me... Lost For Words is a nice song, reminiscent a little of Wish You Were Here, and once again with another nice melody, nice inclusion of the boxing match. Finally, High Hopes, with it's taunting bell sound and three-chord sequence on the piano at it's introduction, was a good choice to finish the album. A nice inclusion of Spanish guitar as well as the slide guitar in the climax of the song. High Hopes ends the album, and even the legacy of Pink Floyd perfectly.

Complete with an eye-catching cover from Storm Thorgerson and an intriguing so called "enigma" The Division Bell marks the end of Pink Floyd as the band deserves.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Kind of a snooze fest but I used to like pulling The Division Bell out to play so I could look at the pretty blue vinyl. My biggest complaint would be about the glossy production. I think it would have sounded better if it was "dryer" and more "present".
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

2066 wrote:Kind of a snooze fest but I used to like pulling The Division Bell out to play so I could look at the pretty blue vinyl. My biggest complaint would be about the glossy production. I think it would have sounded better if it was "dryer" and more "present".
... and if they had written a few decent songs.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Couldn't have hurt. :D
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

2066 wrote:I think it would have sounded better if it was "dryer" and more "present".
That was Roger's input in the past. That is what they lost when Roger left.
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

Once again I find myself astounded at the vast amount of knowledge my fellow forum members possess regarding Pink Floyd. Many of you are purists, which is a comendable thing. Many of you are musicians and it influences your opinions on the matter too. Very enlightening. 8)

I don't know anything about music except what my ears detect and my brain translates. I am ill-informed enough to know that I love the Division Bell, I think "Wearing The Inside Out" is one of the best songs on it. Forgive my ignorance. 8)
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

justabagofatoms wrote: I think "Wearing The Inside Out" is one of the best songs on it.
Certainly. Hi Rick!
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

TDB is a very under rated album. I often put it on and listen to the entire album. I think every song has it's merits. The intro Cluster one is classic Floyd, What do you want from me rocks, David Gilmour is right on in his guitar work. Marooned is a great instrumental, Keep talking is a great song. I could go on... Sure it isn't as lyrically strong as albums with Roger, but musically it stands up to them, IMHO of course. As a whole compared to Pink Floyd's entire works it is not their best. It's 3 for me
I still think that in the years to come it will be considered a Pink Floyd classic. Hey, middle of the road Pink Floyd is spectacular to me.

BTW, I got to see Pink Floyd on TDB tour, unfortunately it's the only one I got a chance to attend. It is the best concert I've seen in my life, and I've seen a lot. I wish I could have seen them touring with The Wall, or the concerts leading up to the release of the DSOTM.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I think it's something that grows on ya.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Better than AMLOR, but not near as good as Pink Floyd classic era albums.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I did play this a lot when it first got released, so at a particular stage I liked it all. Now I never bother with it I find it boring. It was interesting seeing them play some of it live. So for that I’ll give it 2
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

Ghastly.

It reaches its horrific climax with that scientist guy giving his little speech about how we need to keep talking. Holy crap is that weak. Trying soooooo hard to be creative and they think that covers it. It is awful.

And that album is why Echoes is not in any way shape or form Floyds best of or greatest hits or anything else.
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

Lost For Words, Keep Talking, and High Hopes all put this album near the top, if not at the top, of my favorite Floyd albums. :-)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

[quote="kitkat"]Ghastly.[quote]

i like it better then the Ghastly emmbrassing mongfest Berlin 1990 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt015