Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
28%
14%
28%
9%
1 - Worst
20%

Total votes: 74

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pros and Cons

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:21 pmBut something doesn't have to compare to other songs in order to be considered "very good" by someone. All that needs to happen is that the chord progression and melody be something that appeals strongly to the listener. Art CAN be subjective, y'know.
I agree! There are no real quantifiable qualities in art, so if we're trying to be objective and say something is "good" or "very good", I just try to view it from a historical perspective, and within the context of the artist's body of work. Even Roger would agree that KAOS is his weakest effort. Musically, the melodies and chord progressions in "Late Home Tonight" and "Too Much Rope" may possibly be more sophisticated than in anything else Roger has done as a solo artist; each of his other albums feature one or two melodies as recurring motifs that carry the rest of the album, which is typically simple and sparse. One of the prominent melodies on KAOS is note-for-note identical to the chorus of Leonard Cohen's "Famous Blue Raincoat", while "Radio Waves" borrows heavily from Johnny Cash's "Five Feet High and Rising". Roger insists that the only thing that matters is the strength of the lyrics, and could not care less about melody or harmony. Most of KAOS was clearly written in his favorite 4/4 finger-picking pattern and could be mistaken for "Brain Damage" if you stripped away the synth-heavy production. Without Michael Kamen's clever arrangements on "Paranoid Eyes" and "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert", they would both sound exactly like "Your Possible Pasts". He always uses the same chord progressions, but with KAOS's spoken-word/sing-talking/attempted rap, there's very little melodic content. The sound effects on his prior work were all peripheral, but here they're front and center, with the music just keeping the beat and chiming in with an occasional chorus.
mosespa

Re: Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

Post by mosespa »

*meh*

There are only eight or so songs, anyway. *shrug*
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I recall I read somewhere that this album is offically the most wordy album off all time.
Eclipse
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Eclipse »

i just remembered now that i can't stand the title track.
but i really like the rest