Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S (KAOS)

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
15%
22%
20%
16%
1 - Worst
27%

Total votes: 74

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S (KAOS)

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:23 pmAnd one of these days I'm going to get a copy of Wet Dream.
I don't collect vinyl or even own turntable at the moment, but if I ever come across one of the 12" French promos of "Drop In From the Top"/"No Way", I'll probably snatch it up.

Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Over the years, this album has really grown on me and now it's easily among my top 5 floyd solo albums. I think it was a bold move after Pros and Cons, which must have sounded awfully dated in 1984. The album is very musical and dramatic. You can't beat the chorus in Who Needs Information and The Powers That Be. And Home/Four Minutes has a brilliant atmosphere. I also think the tour must have been a great spectacle. The rearrangements of Pink Floyd tracks are brave to say the least... and fun to listen to. Jay Stapley was an interesting guitarist who could imitate Gilmour, but also had that 80s-alternative-rock leanings. Too bad there's no official live album.
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

I do like the album, but the cd has a really "dry" sound. Did it ever get a remastering? For sure some tracks were remastered for the Flickering Flame compilation, almost twenty years ago (!). Maybe Waters should care more for his past output, instead of focusing on unfocused political crusades.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Luca wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:13 pmMaybe Waters should care more for his past output, instead of focusing on unfocused political crusades.
I really think he should be concerned about how his unfocused political crusades will affect the perception of his past output in the years to come. He's not too famous to be forgotten.

"My manager actually told me that Roger was looking for a guitarist. He'd been contacted by Snowy White, who he kind of knew. So Snowy had contacted my manager. He didn't know about me, he just wondered if Martin knew any guitarists. So he came into the studio - he was already excited and he said, 'I've just heard that Roger Waters is looking for a guitarist.' And my first question was, 'Who's Roger Waters?' I had no idea...I mean, I obviously knew who Pink Floyd were, but I didn't know the names. Other than Dave Gilmour, obviously." - Dave Kilminster
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:40 pm
Luca wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:13 pmMaybe Waters should care more for his past output, instead of focusing on unfocused political crusades.
I really think he should be concerned about how his unfocused political crusades will affect the perception of his past output in the years to come. He's not too famous to be forgotten.

"My manager actually told me that Roger was looking for a guitarist. He'd been contacted by Snowy White, who he kind of knew. So Snowy had contacted my manager. He didn't know about me, he just wondered if Martin knew any guitarists. So he came into the studio - he was already excited and he said, 'I've just heard that Roger Waters is looking for a guitarist.' And my first question was, 'Who's Roger Waters?' I had no idea...I mean, I obviously knew who Pink Floyd were, but I didn't know the names. Other than Dave Gilmour, obviously." - Dave Kilminster
Mh, I think it's a recurring, narcissistic joke :) Scott Page used to tell quite a similar story back in the late 80s ("never listened to Pink Floyd before joining the band..."). Musicians want to retain their own one-of-a-kind appeal, even if they work as hired guns.

Anyway, although I usually agree with Waters' harsh criticisms, especially against Trump, I also think that his political thought lacks depth: it is still stuck in the early 90s, i.e. in that Neil Postman book. But in the meantime the world and its problems moved on... Maybe that's why I seldom listen to his latest album past the first - aptly titled - song: Deja vu.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I once saw a brief interview with Guy Pratt where he was asked what he did before playing with Pink Floyd and his response was something along the lines of "I played in some punk bands. Which is a complete waste of time because you wind up playing with Pink Floyd, anyway." :lol: :lol:
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Luca wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:31 pmMh, I think it's a recurring, narcissistic joke :)
That might be part of it, though Snowy White was completely unfamiliar with Pink Floyd when they hired him, since he considered himself a "blues purist". Even in mid-'80s, a most people didn't know who Waters and Gilmour were. But Kilminster has told this story several times, adding that his manager had to "calm himself" before explaining who Roger was...and this was immediately following Live 8, which is probably the most publicity Roger's ever enjoyed. His previous job was...transcribing famous guitar solos for Guitar Techniques magazine. ](*,)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:24 pm
Luca wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:31 pmMh, I think it's a recurring, narcissistic joke :)
That might be part of it, though Snowy White was completely unfamiliar with Pink Floyd when they hired him, since he considered himself a "blues purist". Even in mid-'80s, a most people didn't know who Waters and Gilmour were. But Kilminster has told this story several times, adding that his manager had to "calm himself" before explaining who Roger was...and this was immediately following Live 8, which is probably the most publicity Roger's ever enjoyed. His previous job was...transcribing famous guitar solos for Guitar Techniques magazine. ](*,)
Never knew that about Dave K but then surely people in the office would of mentioned David Gilmour and Floyd guitar solos all the time or if they had a radio on music playing classic rock he would of heard some Floyd like Money, Brick 2, Wish and even Comfortably Numb on Planet Rock for example. And the press Floyd got around Live 8 he surely would of seen the articles in the office and watching their set as you can bet everyone at Guitar Techniques was talking about the reunion and Gilmours ending solo to CN that night was big news. Snowy White's story i believe different era
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

azza200 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:58 pm Snowy White's story i believe different era
I read that interview, too: really nice one, but again Snowy's story seems to me a bit embellished for artistic integrity. The same goes with Guy Pratt, who said he got drunk or whatever before the audition, or Carin turning down Steve O'Rouke's offer to tour with the band... Venial sins, anyway.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Flame-Sky Diver wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:35 pm Over the years, this album has really grown on me and now it's easily among my top 5 floyd solo albums. I think it was a bold move after Pros and Cons, which must have sounded awfully dated in 1984. The album is very musical and dramatic. You can't beat the chorus in Who Needs Information and The Powers That Be. And Home/Four Minutes has a brilliant atmosphere. I also think the tour must have been a great spectacle. The rearrangements of Pink Floyd tracks are brave to say the least... and fun to listen to. Jay Stapley was an interesting guitarist who could imitate Gilmour, but also had that 80s-alternative-rock leanings. Too bad there's no official live album.
I have the Radio Quebec Boot....yeah...it's not official...

But it sounds as good as most live albums from the 80's.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

battra wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 pm I have the Radio Quebec Boot....yeah...it's not official...

I agree, it sounds very well for a bootleg - it's a radio recording I think. But it's incomplete. It misses most of the KAOS songs. Fortunately, there is another bootleg from Wembley, which fills in most of the gaps, so you can get an idea how the whole concert went. But I imagine there was a strong visual part as well.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Flame-Sky Diver wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:39 am
battra wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 pm I have the Radio Quebec Boot....yeah...it's not official...

I agree, it sounds very well for a bootleg - it's a radio recording I think. But it's incomplete. It misses most of the KAOS songs. Fortunately, there is another bootleg from Wembley, which fills in most of the gaps, so you can get an idea how the whole concert went. But I imagine there was a strong visual part as well.
All true...there's a lot missing and only ONE song from the KAOS tour made it to the abbreviated LP....

An old friend of mine, who wasn't a big fan of this record, always said the Quebec Show, on video boot, was what he played for his friends to introduce them to Waters. Described it as the perfect moment for Roger as solo artist.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

mosespa wrote: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pmThere is something of a "time of my life" story that goes along with KAOS..
Same to me as well. Some of the best, and the most memorable time of my life was arund the time when 'The KAOS' was issued.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

David Smith wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:36 pm Got one of the live bootlegs and thought the tour sounded amazing! Really innovative
I agree 100%

Roger was never better than on KAOS tour.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »