Pink Floyds - Pulse

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
27%
45%
11%
8%
1 - Worst
9%

Total votes: 64

thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyds - Pulse

Post by thefinalcut »

1/5 WHY? 'cause it seems to be a live solo album by David. The versions off The Wall sound pretty awful to me. This album has no soul, no spirit of Pink Floyd at all...
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

thefinalcut wrote:1/5 WHY? 'cause it seems to be a live solo album by David. The versions off The Wall sound pretty awful to me. This album has no soul, no spirit of Pink Floyd at all...
The Final Cut fan talking about no soul??? Yeah right...
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Where's the "0" option? This is where Floyd hits rock bottom, or even less.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

nosaj wrote:If they had included One Of These Days (which was released on a single and is available on the dvd) it would be improved. I will vote soon...probably a 2. At least Astronomy Domine is on it.

Actually, I still agree...Astronomy Domine is the only good thing on it. ONE!
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Decided to replace the batteries in my Pulse CD cases (have two copies for some reason)at the weekend, and whilst I was at it, thought it would be a good time to have a listen.

First thing that struck me was how good it still sounds, the immediate comparison is against DSoT and the difference is much bigger than the ~ 7 years between them.

I still think the running order of CD1 is just wrong, I don't think the song selections sit particularly well together. CD2 works much better as a true representation of being at a Floyd gig in 1994, or at least on a "dark side" night!

I think the audio release would have worked far better as a cohesive piece if they had released a live show as it was performed and added a few extra/bonus tracks.

I think the demand to see the band live in 1994 was big enough that they perhaps didn't have to smooth over any cracks from their live performance (would we notice?)by cutting and splicing from the whole European tour. Whilst the band were quick to say at the time that this a true live album with no studio work (clearly a lesson learnt from DSoT) it does lose some of its live feel as a result.

With that said Learning to Fly was taken from their show at Earls Court on the 14th October that I was lucky enough to be at!

I bought both the CD and vinyl version at the time of release (Vinyl sets becoming quite valuable) and bought the cassette much later when I realised it included the 20 minute ambient FX piece.

The video release is the full show from the 20th October 94 and in many respects offers a better live experience than the audio releases. I read somewhere that they aren't able to re-issue the DVD as a Blu-Ray which is a shame if that's true.

I think they played brilliantly on the 94 tour and whilst i think the audio release of Pulse would have worked better if it had been recorded from a single show overall it captures the sound and feel of the band. 4/5

As for the flashing LED's, back in 1995 I thought they were really cool....after replacing the batteries at the weekend, they are flashing away on the shelf........Sadly all these years later a pulsing red light reminds me to check my Blackberry for unread emails :-/
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

thefinalcut wrote:1/5 WHY? 'cause it seems to be a live solo album by David. The versions off The Wall sound pretty awful to me. This album has no soul, no spirit of Pink Floyd at all...
if you compare this too rogers DSOTM tour this is way better Rogers one is poooooooooooor and worse
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Nz9G8YuXc

excellent capture of the lasers used during 1994 this is the audio on the pulse live album uncut

one thing which is noticeable is that the quad sound on the European leg is vastly different to the sound on the usa leg of the tour and who ever thought of using the lasers in sync with the intro/outro guitar is awesome very powerful effect.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

azza200 wrote:excellent capture of the lasers used during 1994 this is the audio on the pulse live album uncut

one thing which is noticeable is that the quad sound on the European leg is vastly different to the sound on the usa leg of the tour and who ever thought of using the lasers in sync with the intro/outro guitar is awesome very powerful effect.
Pity about the song. It sounds ever more turgid with each passing year.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

It's a good album, but I prefer the atmosphere of DSoT. Although Sorrow on this one seems better. And I do like Coming Back to Life.

I do wish record labels would stop producing special packaged albums that can't fit in normal CD racks, though. This one just goes over the size of a regular jewel case.

Hopefully NA get a reissue that Europe got a few years back.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Sorrow is a tough one the live album version is good but seems like some intrustments are lost in the pic keyboards for example are loud at start then seem to get turned down in mix. As well as some of GW's drumming which adds to the song.

But on the DVD that mix is fine can hear all intstruments. I have to agree the version on DSOT as well as the Venice versions are killer
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

It's a tough one Pulse, there's some great renditions of some classic Floyd songs, like Hey You, Astronomy Domine, High Hopes, Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb and the whole of Dark Side. But, I think the production of the album let's it down for me really, it just sounds a bit too flat unlike DSOT, which is has a much better atmosphere compared to Pulse.

That's my thoughts on it anyways.

:)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

i agree. Pulse is to over produced, Brick p2 is a shite version you can tell the band is bored on that night same with Time very bland boring performance over produced loss of atmosphere mix

Lyon is just epic along its my fav version from 1994 :D along with Modena, Hannover, Torino, Rotterdam, Gelsenkirchen, Basel, Oslo to name a few

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lcoA04bDNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbVGIk3zqpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4uXSmwDzYk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mZrpGBodM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvRIdk5BYmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mq8_n7g-_k

Those are some of the best versions of Sorrrow from 1994 IMHO and are all well worth shows getting hold of for excellent performances which are alot better then found on Pulse's.

I listen to DSOT more then Pulse

I rate it 3 overall its good but not great great i have bootlegs from the tour which are better then the album and is what i go to for my fix from the tour be it video or audio
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Another 4 from me. I did see them live on this tour, and it might be one of the best experiences in my life. So it does have a nostalgic point for me, and as a live album it is pretty sweet.
ChickenStu
Axe
Axe

Post by ChickenStu »

Wow - surprised that a lot don't seem to dig. It all sounds pretty good to me. Especially the version of Comfortably Numb which I'd go as far as to call definitive.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

A lot of Waters fans haters here but I don't care, it's the best David's guitar ever sounded to me (that red strat!), except Pompeii and some songs in Gdansk.

The only thing that isn't better than the original here are DSOTM songs, all the rest is an upgrade vs studio version to my ears, especially Sorrow and the 3 encores.