Pink Floyd London ’66-‘67 DVD

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Video/DVD

5 - Best
67%
25%
8%
No votes
1 - Worst
No votes

Total votes: 12

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pink Floyd London ’66-‘67 DVD

Post by drafsack »

This thread is to discuss Pink Floyd's Pink Floyd London ’66-’67 DVD.

Feel free to discuss the DVD

Basic track listing
Interstellar Overdrive
Nick's Boogie
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Pink Floyd London ’66-‘67 DVD

Post by J Ed »

this ones got a rawther complicated history and itd probably be better to have separate threads for the soundtracks cd(s) (of which there have been numerous repackagings) and the film(s) (of which I think there are really two seperate but overlapping films)

first:
there was a feature length documentary called Tonite Lets All Make Love In London, made in 67 or so by Peter Whitehead, who was also doing Stones promo films at the time
its supposed to be about the psychedlic swinging London club scene of the day, centred around the Syds Floyd playing at the UFO Club, with lots of celebs in the crowd
Ive never seen it, has anybody else?

and there was a soundtrack lp released in the day, with snippets of the version of interstellar theyd performed in the film and other peoples music and interviews
Im not sure Ive ever seen a copy of this soundtrack lp, it must be very rare

then there was a cd that came out in the early 90s, featuring the fulllength Interstellar and Nicks Boogie, and a few minutes of annoying interviews at the end
I think this came out on something called the See For Miles label, it was one of the first CDs I ever bought

this has come out since then in many repackagings, with different titles, artworks, and tracklists
one more I bought, entitled In London 1966-1967, had a second cd-rom disc with film footage of the two songs, in some cheap annoying QuickTime type format I believe
(and I think thats the first time in a decade Ive typed the word "cd-rom")

this film footage consists of excellent shots of Syds Floyd jamming, with Syd seated while studiously manipulating his geetar, collaged with shots of young trendy folk dancing and abstract light patterns
question: does anybody know how this relates to the original Lets All Make Love film?
is it all footage from the film, reedited to emphasise the Floyd? outtakes? completely unrelated?
I gather it was billed as an extended promo, but its also more likely at this point in history many more people have seen (or care) about this version than the original

Ive never bought myself a copy of the London 66/67 DVD Drafs actually meaning for us to discuss, as Ive always assumed I had the same content elsewhere, but maybe if all I have is that cheap annoying QuickTime thing I better upgrade

one thing I did just buy however is the vinyl version of this that came out a few years back on no label Ive ever heard of
its very expensive, especially for < 20minutes of music, so Ive been waiting til I could find myself a decent deal
for those whove been thinking about buying this vinyl: the gatefold is just a blowup of the front cover image (same image as the dvd, identical fonts etc), but its got a sturdy inner sleeve, with yet another detail of that same image on one side, and a somewhat fuzzy portrait shot of SydsFloyd in full psychedelic regalia on the other, actually a better group shot of the band than appeared on any of their other albums
and the vinyl itself, at least my copy, is white!
looks mighty sleek for now, I'll have to see what white vinyl looks like once the dust gathers

anyway to (finally) get to the point:
the soundtrack is a much better example of the legendary freeform improvisotory style of the SydFloyd than is Piper or the singles
and the London 66/67 footage, at least the version Ive seen, is the most essential visual document of them playing together, as essential for its period as Pompeii is for the next phase
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

This is the version that I have always wanted, just because of the album's art. It looks more tasteful and classy than any of the other releases. That footage of Syd playing with his stripped purple and crimson t-shirt is really nice. I think even Waters used in his DSoTM tour when they played SOYCD. It's interesting to see how "non swing 60s" he looks on that movie. He looks more like an 80s or 90s indie rocker than a Sgt Pepper era psychedelic renegade.

Is that one the See For Miles Version?

Interesting, I didn't know that IO and Nick's Boogie were recorded during the same sessions of Arnold Layne and Candy And A Currant Bun. I think I'm going to homemade me that as a nice EP:

-Arnold Layne
-Candy And A Currant Bun
-Interstellar Overdrive
-Nick's Boogie

A perfect companion for Piper, that shows the other side of Syd's Floyd. The real side some might say.
Last edited by danielcaux on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

It would be good to know exactly what of that recording session was filmed. Syd uses his Danelectro on both Interstellar Overdrive AND Nick's Boogie though he starts off on the mirror disk Esquire guitar...

Its all confusing!

Those shots of him slumped over his Esquire with the cigarette smoke is quite cool.

However I quickly get bored of the club scenes and stuff, especially when everything has been slowed right down...
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:this ones got a rawther complicated history and itd probably be better to have separate threads for the soundtracks cd(s) (of which there have been numerous repackagings) and the film(s) (of which I think there are really two seperate but overlapping films)

first:
there was a feature length documentary called Tonite Lets All Make Love In London, made in 67 or so by Peter Whitehead, who was also doing Stones promo films at the time
its supposed to be about the psychedlic swinging London club scene of the day, centred around the Syds Floyd playing at the UFO Club, with lots of celebs in the crowd
Ive never seen it, has anybody else?

I have not seen it, nor have I ever seen it available...where can one purchase a copy? If it is unavailable, can one find it elsewhere (the notorious "gray market" of the UK, or perhaps "Y", or...?)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I had a 2 disk version. The 2nd disk was Interstellar Overdrive with the video and stuff, and some other interviews. You had to use some bogging ancient version of Quicktime to get it to work otherwise it would ruin my computer, so I don't use it any more.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

danielcaux wrote:Image
Is that one the See For Miles Version?
it looks like a See For Miles version
note the logo next to the barcode, and the SFMDP 3 number
it appears to be the same logo thats in the bottom left hand corner in the artwork I posted

Ive seen it many times, perhaps it came out after the one Ive got
as you say it emphasises Syd rather than the period piece documentary artwork, so it would make sense whoever holds the rights had realised why it was selling and repackaged it to appeal to the Floydian completist market that was buying it

AllMusic.com has an entry for this expanded reissue of the original soundtrack which supposedly came out in 1990
Ive never seen this one either, but the promo-ep version I posted above is obviously a modified version of this cover
Wikipedia shows detailed tracklists for three different versions of the original soundtrack
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The See for miles version SEACD3 was the first version released and used a reel of tape someone found in India. its very loosely linked to the 'lets make love' film in so much as the film features a snippet of the Floyd playing IO and the CD has a snippet of interview from the film. The 'lets make love' film is crap and it shows Yoko Ono doing one of her things where she got the audience to cut the clothes off a model. I watched the film once so some of the comments above might be complete bollox but the dvd of the Floyd in the studio is good although the music seemed dubbed on
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I got the See For Miles version when it came out. The version of Interstellar Overdrive on it is probably my favourite. But I was a little underwhelmed by the video content, other than some of the studio Floyd stuff. I've also seen the film, but as Drafsack said, it's crap. It's about an hour long and just features random stuff around "Swinging London". The Floyd content is quite minimal, as is any good music content.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I see that we can't add new topics on this thread so I'll have to tag it onto this one as it's somewhat related.

A Technicolor Dream [DVD]

I bought this some time back but can't find it now. Anyone remember whether it's worth the effort of me searching for it? I know that I sat through the purgatory of the beat poets at The Royal Albert Hall but I've forgotten what else was on it. Maybe this warrants a new topic on this thread?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Stephen wrote:I see that we can't add new topics on this thread so I'll have to tag it onto this one as it's somewhat related.

I bought this some time back but can't find it now. Anyone remember whether it's worth the effort of me searching for it? I know that I sat through the purgatory of the beat poets at The Royal Albert Hall but I've forgotten what else was on it. Maybe this warrants a new topic on this thread?
Going to start a whole new tread on all the other DVD's you can buy
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I found that one ^ so I'll have to watch it again now (not the beat poets though).
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Stephen wrote:I see that we can't add new topics on this thread so I'll have to tag it onto this one as it's somewhat related.

I like it. I watched a few months ago for the first time since I bought it. It is a great companion piece to the Syd Barret and Pink Floyd story...in fact, these two dvds could be combined to make one excellent film with Pink Floyd London ’66-‘67 DVD...another strange thing about A Technicolor Dream, is that it is really Nick and Roger who participate...no Gilmour.

Anyway, on topic. I have had three different versions of the album to this. I finally settled on the cd/dvd with the cover that appears in the original post. So, yeah, I have in effect bought this three times on cd and once on dvd...the version with the quicktime thingy added on didn't last long...ha, ha, it is 2011 and CD ROMs are a thing that seem so ancient... ](*,)
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

There's an E.P on Itunes with the soundtrack to this. It's just got a 16 mins version of IO & NB. Anyone know if it's worth getting?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by J Ed »

Flying pig437 wrote:There's an E.P on Itunes with the soundtrack to this. It's just got a 16 mins version of IO & NB. Anyone know if it's worth getting?
Yes.
I myself in the 2nd post wrote:the soundtrack is a much better example of the legendary freeform improvisotory style of the SydFloyd than is Piper or the singles