Pink Floyd London ’66-‘67 DVD

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Video/DVD

5 - Best
67%
25%
8%
No votes
1 - Worst
No votes

Total votes: 12

Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd London ’66-‘67 DVD

Post by Flying pig437 »

It's too late now. I've started a boycot of Apple.
Mike Eder
Axe
Axe

Post by Mike Eder »

Great stuff even if I admit I like shorter Piper version of IO better. Watching them with Syd here is such good shape is fun.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I still watch this occasionally. Compared to contemporary free jazz musicians and other slightly more learned bands, the Emperor is at times approaching nudity with this performance. I'm not saying this is bad, it shows how green and roughshod Pink Floyd were back then. However at times they really are producing atrocious noise. I guess being in a cold January recording studio with a few dim lights and a camera crew running around didn't help matters. It would be difficult for them to unbottle their UFO spontaneity in such a contrived and 'academic' surroundings. Nick's Boogie is even more hesitant and dialed in, as the band don't even have a central theme to return to. It is good to hear Rick using some rarely used Farfisa organ settings (choir and string sounds come to mind) and Syd's guitar has rarely been as trebley and biting, but at times it sounds like a disconcerting mess.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

my breakfast. wrote:I still watch this occasionally. Compared to contemporary free jazz musicians and other slightly more learned bands, the Emperor is at times approaching nudity with this performance. I'm not saying this is bad, it shows how green and roughshod Pink Floyd were back then. However at times they really are producing atrocious noise. I guess being in a cold January recording studio with a few dim lights and a camera crew running around didn't help matters. It would be difficult for them to unbottle their UFO spontaneity in such a contrived and 'academic' surroundings. Nick's Boogie is even more hesitant and dialed in, as the band don't even have a central theme to return to. It is good to hear Rick using some rarely used Farfisa organ settings (choir and string sounds come to mind) and Syd's guitar has rarely been as trebley and biting, but at times it sounds like a disconcerting mess.
I'm not seeing the point of such a comparison. Free jazz is a totally different discipline requiring different skills than rock/pop. Sure, at their best PF paled next to, let's say, Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy and Ed Blackwell but that doesn't really tell the listner anything. Apples and oranges really (sorry for the band pun :) )
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Chris Moise wrote:I'm not seeing the point of such a comparison. Free jazz is a totally different discipline requiring different skills than rock/pop.
Interstellar Overdrive is much closer to free jazz though. The performance Pink Floyd gave for London '66-'67 is basically freeform composition. Interstellar has an opening and closing riff, but what happens in the middle is not contrived or rehearsed. It got that way when Gilmour joined the band, and recurring themes become obvious. Pink Floyd regarded their music as 'organic' during interviews from the Syd era, so it seems better to align the music with free jazz. I own a Sonny Sharrock album from 1969 that is even more free form and at times you have to question the whole point of the exercise.
Bubrucee
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Bubrucee »