Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
mosespa

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:32 pm
mosespa wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:55 amWell...technically
...he was forced to resign, agreed upon four months before the album was finished, and was allowed to return as a salaried musician for the tour.

He still kept his cut of the album sales, then got paid by the others to promote it while they lost money, and then got paid a bigger salary plus immunity from Roger's lawsuits. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal.
Exactly. I don't know of anyone who's ever been fired and received benefits.

Perhaps the topic needs to be reworded? Just a suggestion, since everyone's all pedantic nowadays. *shrug*
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

mosespa wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:47 pmExactly. I don't know of anyone who's ever been fired and received benefits.
Don Felder from The Eagles ??

''Felder was sacked in 2001 because he no longer fit in the band “creatively, chemistry-wise and performance-wise.” In response, Felder filed two lawsuits alleging wrongful termination, seeking $50 million in damages. After six years, the case was finally settled out of court in 2007 for an undisclosed amount.''
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

space triangle wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:31 pm
mosespa wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:47 pmExactly. I don't know of anyone who's ever been fired and received benefits.
Don Felder from The Eagles ??

''Felder was sacked in 2001 because he no longer fit in the band “creatively, chemistry-wise and performance-wise.” In response, Felder filed two lawsuits alleging wrongful termination, seeking $50 million in damages. After six years, the case was finally settled out of court in 2007 for an undisclosed amount.''
Having to go to court to get something is not the same thing as having it given to you.

I shouldn't have had to explain that.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I'm just reading Rick's interview from November 4, 1978. Very interesting:

https://kdarchive.wordpress.com/2013/02 ... nt-page-1/

''But still the foremost in my mind was working with the Floyd, and will be until I decide otherwise. If I wasn’t happy working with them, I would stop. It’s as simple as that. But I’m very happy working with the Floyd.”

Poor Rick, soon after this he will be fired!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

There's still a part of me that finds it funny that Pink Floyd lost money on The Wall tour, but Rick didn't because he was getting paid as a session musician. There's a certain element of karma to the whole thing that makes me chuckle.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Poor Rick should have reacted faster and fire Roger before Roger fired him! :-;
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:30 am Poor Rick should have reacted faster and fire Roger before Roger fired him! :-;
He and Dave should've collaborated on an album in '78, which would've put them in a position to turn down both of Roger's ideas.

"Possibly if we were not in this financial situation we might have said, 'Well, we dont like these songs,' and things might have been different."
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:44 am
"Possibly if we were not in this financial situation we might have said, 'Well, we dont like these songs,' and things might have been different."
Thank god that didn´t happen. Would have robbed us of The Wall and the brilliant master piece that is The Final Cut.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:44 am "Possibly if we were not in this financial situation we might have said, 'Well, we dont like these songs,' and things might have been different."
Yucateco wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:27 am Thank god that didn´t happen. Would have robbed us of The Wall and the brilliant master piece that is The Final Cut.
Meh...they're Roger's albums; he should've put them out under his name.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:30 am
Yucateco wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:27 am Thank god that didn´t happen. Would have robbed us of The Wall and the brilliant master piece that is The Final Cut.
Meh...they're Roger's albums; he should've put them out under his name.
'The Wall' just a Roger Waters solo album? :shock:

At the end of the 1970s, Pink Floyd mostly became Waters and Gilmour - with or without Wright and Mason.
Gilmour did impressive contributions to 'The Wall' and The Final Cut'. Pink Floyd enough for me.
Wright rather went sailing, Mason rather went racing... Wasn't that part of the problem?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Wolfpack wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:09 pm Gilmour did impressive contributions to 'The Wall' and The Final Cut'. Pink Floyd enough for me.
That is all true, and I'd even argue that Rick and Nick made wonderful contributions to The Wall. However, Dave doesn't care for either album, apart from the songs he co-wrote ("They are the musical high points of The Wall - but then I would think that, wouldn’t I?"), so I'd much rather hear what he and Rick would've come up with at that time on their own.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Then listen to both of their 1977 solo albums at the same time. *shrug*
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 am Then listen to both of their 1977 solo albums at the same time. *shrug*
It was 1978, and I do!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6qq ... FUL2DVjv91
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Wolfpack wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:09 pm
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:30 am Meh...they're Roger's albums; he should've put them out under his name.
'The Wall' just a Roger Waters solo album? :shock:

At the end of the 1970s, Pink Floyd mostly became Waters and Gilmour - with or without Wright and Mason.
Gilmour did impressive contributions to 'The Wall' and The Final Cut'. Pink Floyd enough for me.
Wright rather went sailing, Mason rather went racing... Wasn't that part of the problem?
Rogers ego at the time wasn't helping matters either
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

mosespa wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:13 pm "Nobody Home" was, according to Ezrin, the last song written for the album, VERY late in the game. They were already mixing and getting ready to master, if I remember correctly.

So, yes...there WAS room for additional music.
True but given that Rick's status in the band was already considerably weakened at this point, I don't see how he could've still chipped in at that point. Roger decided early on that Rick wasn't a producer and all that. ](*,)