Rick Wright, RIP - 1943 - 2008

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
GoRinNosho
Axe
Axe

Re: Rick Wright, RIP - 1943 - 2008

Post by GoRinNosho »

Rick Wright, RIP. An excellent musician with brilliant brainwaves has left our dimension. May his return after 49 days be a musical one <you'll shine on forever>

Another reason to fight cancer... for those interested in joining: http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... start=6600

Regards & health to all of us, Musashi

"Internet, ain't it all about communication?"
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Richard Wright Dies Age 65 - 1943 - 2008 - Pay Respects Here

Post by Beowulf »

justabagofatoms wrote:Grief really doesn't need any translation. The French was beautiful to look at, even though I couldn't understand it, I think we get the gist. 8)
My stab at it's translation is something like this:

"This is dreadful news, I am very very sad, I had not envisaged this brutal departure and words cannot express the sorrow that is engendered by the loss. I listened to DSotM on headphones this Saturday and rediscovered its richness, its power, and the singularly complex and incredible subtle nuances of the compositions; in particular Richard's keyboard playing and the resulting completeness of the melodies. It is thanks to his contribution that this work was such a musical landmark ... and then there is Richard's voice, the delicate emotional nature of which reaches you over the years … It is an immense loss, the mourning of which haunts me. It is a blow to end all blows, and touches me deeply. It also brings a halt to all thoughts of seeing new musical jewels from Richard either as a solo artist or in the company of David and Nick; and, after the sad death of Syd, this is a further page that has closed. Only the music remains for us, and we can not now re-visit it in Richard's company, it now remains only alive forever within us. My thoughts are with Richard's family, may he rest in peace. Richard, you brought us so much."

I hope I have done Christophe's original justice (apologies for the slight poetic licence I have used to retain the sense beyond a literal translation)
yantoian
Embryo
Embryo

Post by yantoian »

Sitting here still tearful on and off after nearly a week. I now realise Floyd represent my youth. Dark Side of the Moon was one of the first albums I bought with all its high tech stereo sound! (Awesome in mid 70s!)

Animals and WYWH Still represent for me the carefree days of childhood...........

I never saw them live, and like many convinced myself they would tour again.-Not now.

'......running over the same old ground, or have we found the same old fears....

RIP
Yownas
Blade
Blade

Post by Yownas »

When I heard the news I felt a bit ashamed of myself over how little credit I've given him for all the great music that came from PF.

I wept when Syd died, for all the playfulness and fun that was his contribution. I love how Gilmour play guitar, and how Waters plays with words.

But almost never thought of little Rick and his piano. (Shame on me.)

I listend to DSOTM at work and wondered how it would sound without Richard ... tried to mentally filter out his sound...it was very, very empty.

Rick: Sorry I didn't listen more careful. You really were the base all the PF sound stood on.
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

Beowulf wrote:
justabagofatoms wrote:Grief really doesn't need any translation. The French was beautiful to look at, even though I couldn't understand it, I think we get the gist. 8)
My stab at it's translation is something like this:

"This is dreadful news, I am very very sad, I had not envisaged this brutal departure and words cannot express the sorrow that is engendered by the loss. I listened to DSotM on headphones this Saturday and rediscovered its richness, its power, and the singularly complex and incredible subtle nuances of the compositions; in particular Richard's keyboard playing and the resulting completeness of the melodies. It is thanks to his contribution that this work was such a musical landmark ... and then there is Richard's voice, the delicate emotional nature of which reaches you over the years … It is an immense loss, the mourning of which haunts me. It is a blow to end all blows, and touches me deeply. It also brings a halt to all thoughts of seeing new musical jewels from Richard either as a solo artist or in the company of David and Nick; and, after the sad death of Syd, this is a further page that has closed. Only the music remains for us, and we can not now re-visit it in Richard's company, it now remains only alive forever within us. My thoughts are with Richard's family, may he rest in peace. Richard, you brought us so much."

I hope I have done Christophe's original justice (apologies for the slight poetic licence I have used to retain the sense beyond a literal translation)
Thank you so much for the brilliant translation Beowulf. And such an elegant and beautiful homage, Christophe. :(
pf_junkie
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pf_junkie »

The more days pass since Ricks death, the more I feel upset.
Thank you for being in my life. Your music will always be with me.
RIP

PFJ
Frankymole
Axe
Axe

Post by Frankymole »

He is not gone for me, because his music has been a big part of my life for over 2 decades and it will live forever. It's very sad that there will be no more (save bootlegs or unreleased studio stuff), but that's a tiny and selfish thought; sadly, it's not the same for his friends and family, it must be a great loss for them because from all accounts he was a marvellous person.

I only saw him "in the flesh" once (1994) but I can bring myself close to the music again - I think I will give a version of "Live at Pompeii" a viewing this weekend or tonight.

Pink Floyd is dead, but it is also immortal, thanks in part to Rick Wright. Long may lovers of music continue to discover him, and gain as much enjoyment and expansion of horizons as he gave me.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I got the Live in Gdansk CD yesterday. There's something terribly sad about hearing Rick singing his lines in Time :(

Every year is getting shorter
Never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to nought
Or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

:(
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Russian news

http://www.newizv.ru/lenta/98037/

click play
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

moom wrote:Russian news

http://www.newizv.ru/lenta/98037/

click play
Probably interesting, but no thank you. I 've learned to avoid all links ending in .ru as far as possible!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Nonono, try it :)
Christophe
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Christophe »

Beowulf wrote:
justabagofatoms wrote:
Thanks a lot Beowulf for your translation ;-)
Cela me touche beaucoup :-)
But I stay very very sad...

Christophe
Christophe
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Christophe »

justabagofatoms wrote: Thank you so much for the brilliant translation Beowulf. And such an elegant and beautiful homage, Christophe. :(
Mille mercis justabagofatoms.

Christophe
Christophe
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Christophe »

For Beowulf :

Je dois ajouter que votre traduction me semble tout simplement parfaite Beowulf, merci d'avoir pris cette peine, vous semblez parfaitement comprendre le français, j'aimerais connaître autant des nuances de la langue anglaise mais votre traduction va m'aider à progresser !

Oh, I have to try to write in English, otherwise :lol:

Christophe