Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:54 am

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:40 pm I think you do have a problem with it, but you secretly want me to flood you with contemporaneous quotes from Roger saying no one knows who he is.
Suddenly you believe what Waters says? Ha! His quotes prove nothing. I have no problem with your beliefs concerning the history of pink Floyd. Only a fool would come to the conclusion that "no one" knows who Waters is. It's fine with me. Just sharing my own experience. As opposed to simply regurgitating shit I've read.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I love that you're defending Roger's public profile by saying that Pros and Cons isn't worth the time of day and that he's a liar.
User avatar
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:40 pm I think you do have a problem with it, but you secretly want me to flood you with contemporaneous quotes from Roger saying no one knows who he is.
And as we've established using Kerry's testimony and Waters' ego it's far more likely he just said that because his ego didn't like that nobody showed up to his tour. Again we can't prove that but plenty of people knew their names. Shit I knew their names at 12. You know how? I looked at the notes on my mum's copy of Dark Side of the Moon. That was before I was a Pink Floyd fan. Your point is very odd to me.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:54 am

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by Kerry King »

[
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:48 pm I love that you're defending Roger's public profile by saying that Pros and Cons isn't worth the time of day and that he's a liar.
Me? I'm not defending Roger's public profile. How absurd. I didn't call him a liar, either. He probably believes what he says. He wishes they didn't go see him because they didn't know who he was. i know people who didn't go see him because they knew who he was. The exact opposite of what you claim. But hey, that's real life experience. It's not in some book. it's not a stat on the internet. Don't discount the real world.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

The only possible explanation is that The Final Cut was so objectively bad that no one wanted to hear anything from Pink Floyd again unless that bore Roger was out of the band.
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:34 pm

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by penguinzzz »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:53 am
penguinzzz wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:48 am Having each member alongside their 'ghost' double was a big visual part of all this.
Wow I didn't know that was part of the show. That must have been fricken' awesome.
It was pretty good 8)

Now if only a certain 'someone' would release the film of the damn thing!
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:54 am

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:22 am The only possible explanation is that The Final Cut was so objectively bad that no one wanted to hear anything from Pink Floyd again unless that bore Roger was out of the band.
It's the only possible explanation if one is not open to other possible explanations.

Some people are very fond of Gilmour's voice and guitar playing. While it was limited on tfc it was still there and it sounded great. Pros and Cons had no Gilmour. I like tfc but I don't like Pros And Cons. I love Gilmour's guitar playing but Clapton does nothing for me. etc.

On the other hand, I don't care too much for pink floyd without Waters.

Enough of this moronic conversation.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

But you've heard both. A lot of Pink Floyd fans never bothered to listen to The Final Cut, and even more never heard of Pros and Cons. It is a remarkable anomaly in the music industry that an artist can have a string of record-breaking achievements and then fall off the radar while still being quite active. Most people did not know who Roger Waters back then.
User avatar
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:48 pm Most people did not know who Roger Waters back then.
Again... most band members do not get nearly as much success as solo artists as they did in the band. This is just a general fact. Ringo Starr puts out albums every so often but you don't see him shooting to No. 1. Are you going to suggest people don't know who he is?
You also act like nobody heard Waters' solo albums, so let's look at some numbers. All four of his solo albums have charted - no No. 1s mind you, but Pros and Cons got up to 13 at some point and is certified gold. So people definitely knew who he was back then. They just weren't as interested in him as they were in Pink Floyd as a unit.
Oh and you also said not a lot of Floyd fans bothered with The Final Cut, but that was a No. 1 charting album too. So make of that what you will.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:54 am

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by Kerry King »

Obviously Ziggy is not being serious. We were fools to take him seriously. Yes, it's true that most people didn't know who Waters was in 1980. However, most pink floyd fans did know. That's who I was talking about: Pink Floyd fans. Ziggy knows this but he's bored or something.

Moving on...
Rick Wright was more popular than The Bee Gees in 1978. FACT.
User avatar
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:22 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:41 am After the Grateful Dead thing, I'll just take your word for it. Brian Eno jokes about producing Coldplay and U2, and he does whatever he wants with their material because he doesn't particularly care. I can't imagine anyone taking Kiss seriously on any level.
Surprisingly, Steven Wilson (of all people!) did a new mix of Kiss' "Destroyer"! :shock:
Eclipse
Lord!!
Lord!!
Posts: 3587
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:30 pm
Location: your closet, listening to Genesis.

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by Eclipse »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:13 pm
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:41 am After the Grateful Dead thing, I'll just take your word for it. Brian Eno jokes about producing Coldplay and U2, and he does whatever he wants with their material because he doesn't particularly care. I can't imagine anyone taking Kiss seriously on any level.
Surprisingly, Steven Wilson (of all people!) did a new mix of Kiss' "Destroyer"! :shock:

why surprisingly? Steven Wilson, though certainly knows from his prog-related works, has a very broad musical taste.
User avatar
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:22 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Eclipse wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:28 pm
DarkSideFreak wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:13 pm
Surprisingly, Steven Wilson (of all people!) did a new mix of Kiss' "Destroyer"! :shock:
why surprisingly? Steven Wilson, though certainly knows from his prog-related works, has a very broad musical taste.
Because I took the band as seriously as ZiggyZipgun. I've always seen them as just a superficial money-making machine. For someone like SW to say "I'm remixing this album"... I just didn't see that one coming at all. I know he did Deep Purple (which wasn't released) and expressed interest in Led Zeppelin, but those are more 'credible' bands.
Eclipse
Lord!!
Lord!!
Posts: 3587
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:30 pm
Location: your closet, listening to Genesis.

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by Eclipse »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:41 pm
Eclipse wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:28 pm
why surprisingly? Steven Wilson, though certainly knows from his prog-related works, has a very broad musical taste.
Because I took the band as seriously as ZiggyZipgun. I've always seen them as just a superficial money-making machine. For someone like SW to say "I'm remixing this album"... I just didn't see that one coming at all. I know he did Deep Purple (which wasn't released) and expressed interest in Led Zeppelin, but those are more 'credible' bands.
Yeah I do think Kiss suck and are not credible at all either.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:54 am

Re: Richard Wright - Fired During Recording The Wall Album

Post by Kerry King »

Maybe Steven Wilson is a money making machine just like Kiss and that's why he took the Destroyer gig.

What did Ezrin see in Kiss? Dollar signs? They suck and Ezrin couldn't make 'em any better. Just as an SW remix can't change the quality of the songwriting.