Richard Wright at Live 8 - your thoughts?

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Richard Wright at Live 8 - your thoughts?

Post by Wolfpack »

Annoying Twit wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:52 amI support the theory that the director didn't know that Rick was a core member of the band. I don't think Rick made a decision not to be in the spotlight.
The director should have known that all members are core members of the ("classic") Pink Floyd.
The point of the whole performance, other than its good cause, was having Pink Floyd together again.
Maybe most attention went to Gilmour and Waters being together, because they were the two front men?
It's a mistake, anyhow!
Annoying Twit wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:52 amWhile I would prefer that Rick be featured more, or that Roger sang better, I don't let those details get in the way of enjoying the footage for what it is.
Same for me! :D

Seems to me that Waters was terribly nervous, which can cause a voice to fail. On top of the aging.
My guess is that he ruined his voice with all the "mad" singing on for example 'The Wall' and 'The Final Cut'. If that could be enough to ruin a voice forever.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Wolfpack wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:15 amMy guess is that he ruined his voice with all the "mad" singing on for example 'The Wall' and 'The Final Cut'. If that could be enough to ruin a voice forever.
My guess is that Waters ruined his voice with all 'Careful With That Axe Eugene' screams.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Wolfpack wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:15 am Seems to me that Waters was terribly nervous, which can cause a voice to fail. On top of the aging.
My guess is that he ruined his voice with all the "mad" singing on for example 'The Wall' and 'The Final Cut'. If that could be enough to ruin a voice forever.
space triangle wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:40 pm My guess is that Waters ruined his voice with all 'Careful With That Axe Eugene' screams.
Actually, from all I've heard, his voice was fine until the late 80s. On Amused to Death you can hear a clear decline - I still can't get over how he sings the first high part on "What God Wants", you can barely understand the words! ](*,)
I'm pretty sure smoking ruined his voice, as it has done for a lot of other singers.

Of course he was never the most consistent singer, having issues recording SOYCD (which was basically pieced together), The Wall (one reason why David sings quite a lot of parts) and The Final Cut (the infamous "I must not fuck Sheep" moment)...
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 amand The Final Cut (the infamous "I must not fuck Sheep" moment)...
What moment do you mean?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Wolfpack wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:26 pm
DarkSideFreak wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 amand The Final Cut (the infamous "I must not fuck Sheep" moment)...
What moment do you mean?
Michael Kamen writing that phrase over and over to ask what he'd done in a past life to deserve Roger trying to sing. Roger saw him writing it and was annoyed and demanded to know what it was. Bet you he never kept the tapes running for that!
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:38 pm
Wolfpack wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:26 pm
What moment do you mean?
Michael Kamen writing that phrase over and over to ask what he'd done in a past life to deserve Roger trying to sing. Roger saw him writing it and was annoyed and demanded to know what it was. Bet you he never kept the tapes running for that!
Exactly.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Tim Renwick and Jon Carin were also playing - Carin from backstage - so there could easily be confusion as to where to point the cameras. It reminds me of The Waltz, where Richard Manuel trades verses with Bob Dylan on "I Shall Be Released", the climax of the event, and no one had a camera pointed at him.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Rick may be to some extent out of a camera focus during Live 8. But, I'v never seen him 'rocking' so hard as during the CB's solo that night. Just take a look at 5.18 - 5. 23 min. :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZCXnzZMJ1c