smoking,,....anybody tried to give up?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

smoking,,....anybody tried to give up?

Post by bluedolphin »

hi....anybody tried and succeeded??any tips,???...wasnt meant to be a pun!!!have patches on at mo :( bin 50hrs now!!!any help would be gratefully appreciated!! :D
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

I've tried and failed quite a few times......think the best thing for it is good old willpower.

I've tried the patches...but couldn't get them to light :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I want to give up but I lack will power! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

I was off them for 3 years after reading Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking ... it does work , but alas 3 years later I went back on them on the lead up to my wedding ... pressures etc ... stupid reasons really
kagee
Judge!
Judge!

Post by kagee »

I'm in the same boat as you Keith.

I would love to give them up but its hard.

My wife smokes as well so it would have to be a family effort and I could see myself ending up in the divorce court to be honest.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

I tried once and it didnt work...i went quazzzy!!!

I'm gonna die young and be a nice corpse.
My wife is gonna die soon after me...out of grief...she said so...ask her...honest...
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

Post by bluedolphin »

yeh it is difficult.....glad to hear some other ppl found it as hard....bin nother hour now!!!having bin nurse 4 yrs i have seen the effects...not nice
radiowaves

Post by radiowaves »

I'm of them 17 years now. I just stopped. 15 cigs left in a packet, and i trew them in a bin. i said to myself ''Martin, that's it. no more yuk taste in your mouth and no horrible taste from a cup of tea''. i laso gave up drinking tea at the same time. havn't looked back since.

Basically, it's down to will power. You either want to give them up, or you don't. i never believed in patches or chewing gum, as nicotine is a reliant drug and a relaxant, in other words, those things just feed your craving. You give up smoking, but not nicotine. It's all down to you, and you alone.
henno

Post by henno »

i gave up smoking 20 a day by taking up smoking hash, i would have a splif in the morning and wouldnt have any urge to smoke cigarettes for the day... eventually i gave up my morning spliff and didnt suffer any kick back to ciggies.... this was about 10 years ago btw.......

i do smoke the odd cigarette now, (probably about 1 every 2 - 3 weeks) mainly for a social reason, ie mate going out for a cig if we're out for a pint, but i have no urge to start up smoking again.. i also would smoke the odd splif ie, same reason as above!!
henno

Post by henno »

BTW, a friend of mine who was a cronic smoker (no, not that 'cronic' :D )
gave up completely after reading allen carrs book..

see link..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 90-9323629
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

Post by bluedolphin »

thx for info henno.....may give that a read :D
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

henno wrote:BTW, a friend of mine who was a cronic smoker (no, not that 'cronic' :D )
gave up completely after reading allen carrs book..

see link..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 90-9323629
As I said up above , the book does work if you want it to ... it's doesn't set out to scare monger , or shock tactic you into giving up .... just pure common sence and logic with will power.

As for patches / chewing gum ... the book deals with those too ... basically , you don't get off the drug you're addicted to by replacing it with the same drug .... like heroine addicts being giving methadone - it doesn't work !!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

To tell you the truth...i like to smoke. It's...you know how it is...
I know the effects and all that...but still...i guess i'm waiting for that
red light...i only hope that then i'll be able to quit and continue to live...not quit as...die.
I didnt smoke for 9 months. Had a bet with my gf that if she passes one difficult uni test that i'll simply quit...and i did...damn...that ninth month whas hell on earth for me...i whas really loosing myself in mental sence...i couldnt think...it whas like a real addict chrises.
I said fook that...

Here i am... :smt025
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

Post by bluedolphin »

:smt084 and here ull be.....iff summat else dont get u first that is.....shame u started again
The Gil
Blade
Blade

Post by The Gil »

I gave up about 7 years ago. I can thoroughly recommend the Nicorette inhalator (sorry for the advertisment!). It gives you the 'kick' at the back of the throat that no other method I know of can do. Stick with that for a month or two and you should do OK!