smoking,,....anybody tried to give up?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: smoking,,....anybody tried to give up?

Post by Hudini »

It's been a year and a half since I gave up smoking, and I still don't call myself a non-smoker. It's a long road. Hang in there, Gina. A few kilos up is worth it.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Once you've finished your last cigarette you're a non-smoker! Enjoy not having to smoke, but don't try to compensate by eating. You are not giving something up; you are getting something back: a smokeless life! No more panic when your packet of smokes is empty, no more spending money on cigarettes, no more smelly breath, no more having to stand outside to smoke. Your longues start to work freely again, when you have a night of heavy drinking you recover more quickly when you haven't smoked... There's no loss, only gain! ENJOY IT ;-)
czgibson
Blade
Blade

Post by czgibson »

Here's the position I'm in:

"Giving up smoking is easy ... I've done it thousands of times." - Mark Twain
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

rosm wrote:Once you've finished your last cigarette you're a non-smoker! Enjoy not having to smoke, but don't try to compensate by eating. You are not giving something up; you are getting something back: a smokeless life! No more panic when your packet of smokes is empty, no more spending money on cigarettes, no more smelly breath, no more having to stand outside to smoke. Your longues start to work freely again, when you have a night of heavy drinking you recover more quickly when you haven't smoked... There's no loss, only gain! ENJOY IT ;-)
This is the ideal. In practice it may take some compromise.

The best cigarette is always and ever the one you are anticipating - once you light this one it is history, it will never be as good as the next. There is only way out: Don't worry about the fag - deal with / substitute for the anticipation.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

PooF wrote:The best cigarette is always and ever the one you are anticipating...
My best one was the last one.

I tried quiting 100 times. But the last time was easy. And I still enjoy being an ex-smoker or a non-smoker and of course I sometimes think of having a smoke, but once that second is gone, I can enjoy my cigaretteless life again.

The Alan Carr method/his book worked for me...
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

Thanks for the tips people. One thing I did notice was that I polished off a bottle of wine the other day when we were watching the AFL Grand Final. For the first time in YEARS I did not wake up with a hangover!! Does that mean I can now take up the booze on a more regular basis. Lol.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

kingfisher_flashing wrote:Does that mean I can now take up the booze on a more regular basis. Lol.
Actually no, but your hangovers will feel more comfortable. ;)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Well, anybody make a resolution for 2012?
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Finding a new job.
I quit smoking years ago...
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

rosm wrote:Finding a new job.
I quit smoking years ago...
There's a connection, somewhere.

I sometimes pass by places where I loved to smoke the most, and remember those fine times :)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Okay, I am in process...for the past 9 days I have smoked a couple of cigarettes a day. The last one could be today. So, I haven't quite quit, BUT, one or two a day instead of a pack is a pretty good start. last time I quit, it took a couple of weeks before I entirely stopped.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

nosaj wrote:Okay, I am in process...for the past 9 days I have smoked a couple of cigarettes a day. The last one could be today. So, I haven't quite quit, BUT, one or two a day instead of a pack is a pretty good start. last time I quit, it took a couple of weeks before I entirely stopped.
IMO, you never entirely stop, but as you said, are always 'in process'.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I have been a non-smoker for 1 year 1 month. Here are some tips/ideas.

Give up cold turkey. Nicotine addiction ends after 48 hours so don't use nicotine patches and gum as they reinforce the addiction not stop it!

The physical habit lasts about 30 days. Imagine inhaling the fumes from a bus during your cravings for these 30 days.

You will have "associations" for many months. I used to smoke as soon as I got in my car or when drinking. Over time, these associations will cease.

Do NOT replace the physical habit of smoking with another habit like chewing gum or some crap. BEAT the addiction, don't reinforce the addiction!

You are not missing out on anything whilst not smoking. You are gaining a great deal.

8)
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

I´m still feeling the consequences of about 20 years of smoking. Cigarette is one of the worst shites out there.
I got Asma due to my old habit. Damn! :mad:
Went to the doctor and he told me that, despite my young age (I´m 30), my lumps look like if I was 45.
Of course I gave up smoking, but the guilt for what I have done to my own body doesn´t go away just like that.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

That's nasty thefinalcut. That sucks. :(

Keith you'd make a great coach for people who want to quit!