Must have comics

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
sherer
Axe
Axe

Re: Must have comics

Post by sherer »

PublicImage wrote:'The Brothers Karamazov' and 'Prufrock and Other Observations'.
Sorry to reply to a thread that is years old but is that a comic based on the Dostoyevsky book ? Read the book and would be interested in getting a comic if there is one.

Thinking of giving the Dark Tower comics a go
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I think that was just PI's trademark sarcasm.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I have heard goood things about Batman: The Long Halloween. So, I bought a used copy. Has anybody read it?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

The Infinity Gauntlet is pretty good. Just read it (collection of six issues).

I purchased Cerebus last week and plan on reading soon.

"This first story arc, uniquely in this series, consists of one to three-issue storylines with only occasional back-references. Cerebus is introduced as an amoral barbarian mercenary, fighting (and betraying) for money and drinking it away. During his adventures, he encounters the warrior Pigts (whose religion reveres aardvarks) and the insane wizard Necross, who turns himself into a giant stone Thrunk (visually similar to Marvel Comics' The Thing). Most of the series' prominent characters are introduced (or at least mentioned) in these issues, including Elrod of Melvinbone (a parodic representation of Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone), Lord Julius, a character based upon Groucho Marx, Artemis Roach (a.k.a. The Roach) and Jaka. The series takes a sharp change in direction with issue #20 which is the first of the "Mind Games" issues that are a feature of the comic and introduces the philosophical Suenteus Po and the ultra-matriarchial Cirinists."
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I finally read V for Vendetta. Not bad at all. I saw the movie when it came out.

I also read Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., a collection written and drawn by Jim Steranko, between 1966-1968 I think. The last two stories have awesome artwork!!!: http://www.amazon.com/Nick-Fury-Agent-S ... 0785107479

Read another called Jinx, which was cool too (no super heroes!!)
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I've been reading the various recent Planet of the Apes graphic novels. They are set in the universe of the original movies and detail events that happened 1000 years, 20 years, 18 years and 10 years before Taylor's ship crash landed. Not sure if those are the exact amount of years, but it's something like that. Anyway, if you're a fan of the original Apes movies, these are really great enjoyable, and fill in some of the details of how things came to be where they are at when the first movie begins.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Picked up Michael Moorcock's Multiverse this weekend. The art work looks really nice. I have heard it is quite an exciting read.
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Got to mention Jhonen Vasquez here. Sure it's not for everyone, but for those with a really dark & sick sense of humour it hits the mark.

A lot of his early work stems from the 'Johnny the Homicidal Maniac' series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_the ... dal_Maniac

Apart from the shock value of the antihero, there's elements of social satire (especially regarding the goth scene).
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »