Neutrinos possibly move faster than the speed of light...

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Neutrinos possibly move faster than the speed of light...

Post by cwta eugene »

So what does it all mean? My grandfather was a physics professor and I wish he was still here so I could pick his brain on this. Supposedly these Neutrinos can travel back in time as we use the speed of light as the authoritative "stamp mark" on time. What are the implications? Can anybody here shed some further light on this for me?
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Neutrinos possibly move faster than the speed of light..

Post by ddebil »

cwta eugene wrote: Can anybody here shed some further light on this for me?
Much as I am intrigued by this (and assuming it can be proven), the answer to your question is 'No'. :D
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

:lol:
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

In fairness, I must say that pensioners with zimmer frames can push the boundaries when it comes to lightspeed limitations, as soon as 9am is hit and they can use their free travel passes!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Yeah, I read about that experiment. But how did they know those were the same neutrinos?

Still , I don't even understand the theory of relativity, so I can't shed any light on this. There are a tons of things I don't understand at all: why light has to be the faster thing in the universe? Why it has to be always at a constant speed? How can space actually expand? How can gravity bend space AND time. What the hell does it mean that the universe is flat? How can the univerve be finite but boundless?

Guess my mind is still running under old euclidian firmware.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

As far as I'm familiar with Einstein's theory of relativity, it has a major hole. It states that all things are relative, while assumes that the speed of light is a constant. If everything is relative, how come there are constants at all?
henno

Post by henno »

ive known this for years.......

8-[
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Hudini wrote:As far as I'm familiar with Einstein's theory of relativity, it has a major hole.
What , like Adele ?

danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

And afterall isn't light just a bunch of photons? Neutrinos are much smaller particles than photons and can go through almost anything, so it kinda makes sense that they can be faster than light.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm afraid that my knowledge on this subject is limited to what I learned from repeated readings and viewings of Watchmen. *shrug*
Devil man 665
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Devil man 665 »

I wouldn't worry too much on those types of experiments

Because of the uncertainty principle and the lovely paradox of collapsing realities the only REAL fields in quantum physics that I see a future in involves entangled particles and their ability to create quantum computers.

Information between the entangled particles move at the speed of teleportation thus proving einstein wrong.

so yeah neutrinos can move faster than light...

If they wanted to ;3

davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

schrodinger will be relieved to see that his cat is alive!
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

[quote="Devil man 665"] "speed of teleportation"

Are you by any chance referring to subatomic tachyon particles?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I'm worried by all this. I am surrounded by smug semi-autistic academics all day creaming their jeans over this, but I'm not sure.

It possibly means an awful lot of 'known' physics is infact based on some now-disproven theories. How far back can anybody be bothered re-engineering this stuff?

We have a problem here.

Either 1) We accept that we are shaved apes who are now well and truely in over our heads in a universe not designed for us to be tinkering with the construction of.....

or 2) We rewrite all we know about physics, even if technology based on previous ideas seem to work anyway....

or 3) We begin to discredit new findings to preserve the scientific status quo, we inconise people like Einstein futher (academics who painted themselves into corners) and actually stop progressing and instead worship the image of dead scientists?
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

Wow. Breakfast.

Love the pouch.

"shaved apes"?

And me, without a razor.

How about a Blazer? Have any of you heard of these? Massive laser-like jets of really hot shit, or plasma, if you prefer, shooting randomly through the Universe (as we know it). These jets of plasma are conjectured to be large enough to snuff a planet the size of Jupiter without so much as breaking a plasma-sweat. They make the idea of space travel a bit more unnerving than it already is. If you want to worry about something, Alan, that's a good one. I was worried about the asteroid most of the day, because like you, I think scientists are not to be trusted. I mean...what if something was steering the damn thing?? Did they ever think of that, the dunderheads??

I am personally alarmed at the work being conducted at the Hadron Collider in France. Those people are trying to complete the periodic table, which they claim is only half-finished, as the dog ate the rest. And they are drinking a lot of wine, let's not forget that.
And nanotechnology. I'm really worried about that.
Thanks, Alan. I was feeling rather content until I read your post. Now I need a tranquilizer.