Neutrinos possibly move faster than the speed of light...

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Devil man 665
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Neutrinos possibly move faster than the speed of light..

Post by Devil man 665 »

justabagofatoms wrote:
Are you by any chance referring to subatomic tachyon particles?
well according to science

when nobodies looking at particles they don't exist in any particular sense (easiest way to think about it) and you cannot measure them correctly

when u look at them: poof! hello here I am and you can now measure me

if two particles are entangled and shot in seperate directions if you look at one of them

the other pops into existence at the same time!

making it seem like theres some spooky communication going on that moves faster than the speed of light
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Devil man 665 wrote: poof! hello here I am
Hello. No thanks :D
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

That was quick! :lol:
admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

Are we building a nuclear warhead here? Never can be too safe.Keep up the good posting folks, thanks.
Devil man 665
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Devil man 665 »

admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

Oh I'm there ya!!!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

If the Periodic Table is only partially completed, and these scientists (and others) do manage to unlock the secrets that reside in the Universe, such as the nature of time; the understanding and manipulation of gravity; or a knowledge of the meaning of dark matter...will the planet be prepared for such discoveries?

I understand that knowledge is the goal, but it seems that on a planet of seven-billion people, the majority of whom live in poverty and without clean water...our scientific priorities are skewed. I don't think that we are ready for such knowledge, when we ignore the needs of so many on such basic levels. Perhaps finding out the answers to the questions that are being asked will lead to a new "Golden Age"...but that seems unlikely, given science's propensity to sell it's secrets to the warmongering billionaires that run the planet.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Appearently the people at CERN found the Higgs Boson! <.8.>

...and yet life goes on.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

It was careless of them to lose it in the first place.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

At some point science will develope so far that you won't actually be able to get a good grasp of the whole deal within one lifetime and we will start to forget stuff we know currently.

I sort of wish the neutrinos had been going above the speed of light as it would humble us as a species. I get ignored both when people claim such science has an existential basis and, also, that such research is futile as it fails to give us an existential answer. Perhaps people aren't pure scientists in the main and want big sweeping answers derived from the most tiny and detailed of studies. I guess that is why middle-aged housewives who have never set foot inside a scientific research faculty can have the same weight of opinion, apparently, on climate change as research scientists.

One thing that annoys me is the idea that the scientific community is 1) in the pocket of big spooky industries, 2) a massive colluding singular organisation and 3) a mass of inhumane individuals dropping bleach into the eyes of monkeys and mocking the religious the next.

From my brief time carrying out scientific work it was more a case of who owed who a favour and who had access to what piece of (usually woefully outdated) machinery. There was a total 'make do and mend' vibe about the whole thing, and this was with a pretty major Scottish scientific institution famed for the sort of research I was doing, though I was only doing a basic version of it.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I suspect scientific research can be a bit of all of the above, depending on where the money's coming from. When I was a naive young student many moons ago, I did a Medical Geography module and it was an eye-opener in that regard. It makes sense of course.
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

It has been announced by a group of really drunken French physicists (trying saying "physicist" three times really quickly) that they have found the "GOD PARTICLE".

I bet God didn't even realize he had misplaced it. tsk.

I don't know what they intend to do with it, now that they have located it. Hopefully they won't be attempting their only version of the Big Bang, because I just don't think that would be good for the planet. If it helps mankind in some way, however, with some spectacular new way to kill ourselves, well then, it can't be all bad.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Well, there is a lot to be said for putting us all out of our misery
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

justabagofatoms wrote:I don't know what they intend to do with it, now that they have located it. Hopefully they won't be attempting their only version of the Big Bang, because I just don't think that would be good for the planet.
Ehhhh... didn't you know? That's exactly what they have been doing all these years, recreating the initial conditions of the big bang. That's mainly what a large hadron collider is used for, creating thousands of mini-bangs per day.