Prometheus

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Prometheus

Post by danielcaux »

I just watched it and although I did enjoy it I haven't quite made up my mind about it yet; right now I think it's a case of "good idea that got sloppily executed". Is that kind of movie that leaves you thinking a lot about it well after exiting the cinema, either because it's full of plot holes or because it purposely leaves some questions unanswered.

So they idea here is to disccuss those questions, plot holes, theories, impressions, feelings or opinions that you may have about the movie.

Did you like it?
What did you like about it?
What do you think the movie was about?
What's your take on the whole story?
What was really happening in that prologue?
What's the purpose/meaning of that gigantic head there?

Etc...
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Prometheus

Post by Damn!t »

I like it. Very much. Saw it twice in 3D.

Probably the best film I have seen in a while.
Without analising it, or hearing various dumb comments on stupid details that some idiot without real life noticed and posted on the internet, it's a masterpiece.
At least in my book. Some were expecting Aliens flying around the place, some didnt, but regardless of excpectations, it's really good.
I think that there were alot of people that wanted to see a combination of Alien, Avengers and Transformers.
When they got something else, it wasnt that great all of a sudden, for most people that I'v talked to and it pissed me off.

I mean, if this isnt a good film for todays crap/remake hollywood production, then what is? Ridley Scott is one of my fave directors.
Enjoyed it very much and I think that I'm gonna get meself a nice bluray of it when it comes out.

Interview with Arthur Max and some clips with the cast and crew...
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Damn!t wrote:I think that there were alot of people that wanted to see a combination of Alien, Avengers and Transformers. When they got something else, it wasnt that great all of a sudden, for most people that I'v talked to and it pissed me off.
Well, anyone expecting to see another "Transformers" when going to the movies deserves to be punished in my book.

My problem with Prometheus is that I was expecting it to be more "sci-fi" and less "space adventure", I wanted it to be more philosophical, to explore more interesting ideas and their implications, in the vein of Space Odissey and Blade Runner and AI, movies that were quite clearly used as "inspiration" for this one. But instead it turned out that the movie was not about exploring ideas at all, it was just a haunted house horror movie set in space, very much like the first Alien. It had a really interesting premise (aliens creating life on earth and visiting ancient civilizations as some sort of gods) but it didn't really develope that at all, once the two prologues were over it was pretty much just a regular "Oh! Let's run away from the mosters!" movie.

It had some redeeming features, David the android being the most notable. Apart from being a great perfomance from Fassbender I felt his was really the only character that went through some interesting developement. The movie was at its best when it focused on him and his ideas about humans and the overall irrelevance of their endeavor, that was really good, very Blade Runner-esque. Perhaps that's why I love that open ending, something most people that I have talked to seemed to hate, but I felt it ended the right way, showing how things had changed for him. The other characters were pretty much just placeholders: the captain, the pilot buddies, the two stupid "scientists", the scientist's boyfriend and the faithful scientist/heroine; nothing really memorable or interesting there, except perhaps for Vickers, the cold alpha bitch in charge of the mission; she reminded me a lot of Ripley, a compelling character, I wouldn't mind watching more of her in the future, crossing my fingers there!

Now there was the visual aspect, which was unquestionable the main forte of the movie. The H.G. Gigger inspired set designs were more impressive than ever, very immersive and creepy and haunting and nice to look at at the same time. The opening sequence with the aerial alien geography shots was quite beautiful, very reminiscent of the final space travel sequence of 2001 and also of The Shining opening. The hologram recordings, the dream scanning helmet, the probes, the interstellar orrery, all where nice and interesting touches.

But the plot! Oh boy why it had to be so thin? Oh why! With all the good elements this movie had going on the whole thing would have been really AWESOME if it had an interesting story to tell. Well, perhaps the sequel will correct this, IF they make a sequel out of it, so far there are no plans.

Now, on why it was called "Prometheus"...
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

danielcaux wrote:My problem with Prometheus is that I was expecting it to be more "sci-fi" and less "space adventure", I wanted it to be more philosophical, to explore more interesting ideas and their implications, in the vein of Space Odissey and Blade Runner and AI, movies that were quite clearly used as "inspiration" for this one. But instead it turned out that the movie was not about exploring ideas at all, it was just a haunted house horror movie set in space, very much like the first Alien.
This.

I don't if we're gonna ever get a movie which totally steps into new land. You see, we're talking money these days, because people want great special effects, and that's a lot of money. If you have a philosophical side to the movie, most won't get it and the movie flops. No one's gonna endure a flop, cause they want the money. So until we get a set of people who care more for the plot and not the money, it's gonna be the same story again and again.