Problems with Windows XP updates

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Problems with Windows XP updates

Post by moom »

Has anyone recently had problems with Windows XP updates? I did, and thought I have found something that looks like a solution, it could be temporary. Having a quite old computer (it'll celebrate 5 years this year, though otherwise it works well) may contribute to that :( .
About a week ago XP offered me 8 updates (and I didn't see what those were, I usually let them install as I turn off the computer). But on the next boot, the computer started up very-very slowly. Everything worked, but the loading was painfully long, a couple of minutes for sure. Luckily I had just made a restore point and using it helped. Of course in a short while XP offered me those updates again, and I think maybe I should let install only some of them but I don't know which ones (should I try trial-and-error just to see what works better and what not?). I know I can turn off automatic updates and that I can turn the computer off without installing updates because I've read that most of the updates aren't really essential, but I don't want to miss out the important ones and I've got no idea what those are, besides I'm not the only one using this computer and explaining the problem to the other person (my dad) isn't really easy.
Thanks for your attention.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Problems with Windows XP updates

Post by rememberaday »

I may not really be able to help you since I use Windows 7 (been two years now), but being a former user of XP, I'll give it a go. It's good, anyway, that you made a restore point because basically that's what you need especially when dealing with shit features like updates. Anyways, you haven't stated what updates they are, so to be frank, I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

rememberaday wrote:Anyways, you haven't stated what updates they are, so to be frank, I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. :lol:
:lol: I wish I knew what those were, but must be the most recent ones.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Isn't XP pretty much obsolete? I thought they stopped supporting it...
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Works okay to me, I'm not needy.

Okay, so it seems the problems are with NET Framework, because I let install its one update with same problems occurring again. I've turned automatic updates off.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It must be full of security bugs by now since everyone has moved on from it. Upgrade, boy!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Oh well, I guess. Thanks.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Microsoft still support Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 SP3 with security updates, but that support will be terminated on April 8, 2014, so it's probably a good idea to start thinking about an upgrade path to Windows 7 or 8 some time soon.

Has your Windows XP been updated to Service Pack 3? That might help if not. If it has, maybe try looking up each security update on the Microsoft Knowledge Base. Each update will have a code of letters and numbers (e.g. KB2533623) and these correspond to entries in the Knowledge Base. If you can find the corresponding entries they may list issues that can occur and possible fixes.

You could also try downloading the updates individually in case they were somehow corrupted or incorrectly downloaded through Windows Update.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

jambo wrote:1. Microsoft still support Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 SP3 with security updates, but that support will be terminated on April 8, 2014, so it's probably a good idea to start thinking about an upgrade path to Windows 7 or 8 some time soon.

2. Has your Windows XP been updated to Service Pack 3? That might help if not. If it has, maybe try looking up each security update on the Microsoft Knowledge Base. Each update will have a code of letters and numbers (e.g. KB2533623) and these correspond to entries in the Knowledge Base. If you can find the corresponding entries they may list issues that can occur and possible fixes.

3. You could also try downloading the updates individually in case they were somehow corrupted or incorrectly downloaded through Windows Update.
1. Yes, we all need to move on sooner or later.
2. Yes.
3. My thoughts exactly. I'll download updates one by one and see how they work.