Any Windows 8 Users?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any Windows 8 Users?

Post by Keith Jordan »

I just bought Photoshop Lightroom 5 and then found out I need Windows 7 and above to use it, not Vista that I currently have!! Idiot!

Anyway... I am going to upgrade to Windows 8 so that it works.

ANybody using Windows 8? Any good? Any problems with it?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any Windows 8 Users?

Post by snifferdog »

I've used Windows 8 a little and it wouldn't be tempting me to update any time soon. The problem is that Microsoft decided to slap much the same interface onto a computer as they have on their tablets and it's not as intuitive. I'm sure with time you'd get used to it but it just irritated me. Can you still get an upgrade to Windows 7?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

There is still an upgrade to 7, but I went from Vista to 8. I did a clean install and just re-installing loads of programs now and downloading my files from Google Drive.

I can go into "Desktop Mode" by holding the windows key and pressing D so I can avoid all that new rubbish they put on the start screen. Not for me! 8)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

As it happens, I got into work today (I took yesterday off) to be told that a new Windows 8 machine had landed and guess who had to test it to make sure our software worked on it? :lol: After using it for an hour or so, all I can say is that it is the progeny of satan. It's like the desktop now is little more than a place to put shortcuts. To access anything of note you have to flip back to that godawful metro screen. I'm ancient enough to have used Windows 3.1. No version of Windows has ever had me wanting to hurl the computer through the window. Until now.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am getting used to it now. The most useful thing is pressing the windows button (between ALT and CTRL) and pressing D at the same time. This takes you to "desktop mode". Then to open a program, press windows key, start typing program name, then press enter when it appears! I actually quite like it now I am getting used to it.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I'm going to have to get used to it because "they" are going to install Windows 8 on all our computers within the next fortnight. I resent having to keep jumping between the Metro screen and the desktop. I don't actually mind typing to get the program I want because I do that in Windows 7 anyway. I just hate the way they've needlessly fecked up a perfectly good OS so they can flog tablets.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

snifferdog wrote:.... so they can flog tablets.
Dirty pill pushers! :lol:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I shouldn't mock. I might yet want those pills <.8.>
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Yeah, Windows 8 is clearly a tablet/phone oriented OS, that makes it very frustrating, using it on a PC. Runs smoothly though, is just the metro interface that's kinda annoying. I think they should have done two versions, a PC desktop oriented interface with the traditional home menu, and another one for tablets with the new metro interface. That way you would have the compatibility of having the same OS for both types of devices but with the benefit of it being customized in each one for better use.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Maybe they'll do something with that next time around. Microsoft seems to make a good operating system every second time now. We're getting our Windows 8 PCs in work tomorrow <.8.> I'm not entirely sure why your average Windows user would want a touchscreen monitor? It's bad enough having to keep fingermarks off handheld devices without having to start into that nonsense with your screen.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I use it and have grown used to it to the point where I actually prefer the new workflow, even though I don't have a touch screen. Sure, it would be better, but I think people have been way too harsh. If you give it the benefit of the doubt and learn how to use the new UI, it's actually a pretty good OS.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I got used to it surprisingly quickly. I really like it now. Only because I just go straight to desktop mode. :)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I got used to it pretty quickly too but that was once I'd got all my shortcuts onto the desktop. In other words, effectively returning it to Windows 7.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Apparently there is a newer version of windows 8 coming which restores the start button. There are also numerous software packages you can download to make windows 8 look like windows 7 - some also let you turn off the hot spots
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It'll be interesting to see what the new release does. In my job we don't have administrator privileges on our PCs so we're beholden to the I.T. overlords