Any Windows 8 Users?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any Windows 8 Users?

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am not sure I like your sign!! :lol:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

no need to worry about it now :shock:
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

I think widows 8.1 pro is great on my laptop :)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

You've got widows on your laptop? :shock:

Since this thread started, I've gotten well used to Windows 8 because of having to use it in work. Although the lack of a start button is still a bit of a pain in the butt at times you do get used to it after a while. What I've come to learn as well is that it's a surprisingly fast operating system. I've got an old computer that I use for mucking about with and I installed a 90 day Windows 8 trial on it. I was pleasantly surprised at how fast Windows 8 ran on this creaking old PC - I'd go so far as to say it ran better than XP.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Windows 8 sucks. I also have it on my laptop computer.

Keep in mind it was basically designed for touch screen devices like tablets/Ipads, etc. The features don't really translate well over to traditional laptop or desktop style PC's. I do appreciate the increased security, but it seems clunky and overly complicated for me.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Windows 9 is out 30th Sept
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It'll be interesting to see what Windows 9 is like. These days every second Microsoft operating system is good or a turkey, depending on where in the cycle you fall.
I'm more intrigued by a line in this article
Finally, since Windows XP holdouts are still numbering more than Microsoft would like, despite the company ending support earlier this year, the firm is said to be planning an "awesome" incentive to get XP users to cave in to Windows 9.
I'd love to know what this "awesome" incentive is... At this stage I reckon the majority of home XP users are either people who are defiantly refusing to upgrade or have old machines that they don't want to spend any more money on.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

All of my kids have window 8 or 8.1 and I have put 'Classic Shell' on them so they have the speed of windows 8 but the usability and look of windows 7. can also be set up to look like xp
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I got Windows 8.1 a couple of months back when I bought an SSD for my PC. I've really been enjoying it, especially since it now boots to desktop and lets you use your desktop background for your Start Screen background.

I haven't really found myself wanting for the Start Menu. Most of the time I just hit the Start key and type the name of whatever program I want to launch, as it automatically searches when you do so.

Classic Shell does look interesting, but the only thing I'd really want from it is the bottom status bar. Not a huge fan of all that info getting moved to the right. It does lay everything out much better, but I'm just so used to looking down there for quick file info.

On the whole though Win 8.1 has been fantastic so far. It's super fast and mostly intuitive, although I am looking forward to the more desktop focused Windows 9.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

My work place got me a tablet (Surface) in the spring with windows 8...nice to have office suite on a tablet. Drove me nuts, so stopped using it by by June. However, I just started using it again, after the IT department bought me a keyboard for it, which is helpful when I ask other people to use it in certain situations and because of speed in typing that I need sometimes...toggling for letters and numbers was annoying.

Still getting used to it, but managing quite well. I might even like it. In fact, I may even get rid of my old tower at work and just use the tablet (hooked up to my two monitors of course).
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Seems pretty stable to me now, I was getting all kinds of errors and BSOD issues. I would recommend it now. 8)
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Windows 7 and 8/8.1 users will get Windows 10 for free!

(We don't talk about Windows 9 >_>)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

nosaj wrote:My work place got me a tablet (Surface) in the spring with windows 8...nice to have office suite on a tablet. Drove me nuts, so stopped using it by by June. However, I just started using it again, after the IT department bought me a keyboard for it, which is helpful when I ask other people to use it in certain situations and because of speed in typing that I need sometimes...toggling for letters and numbers was annoying.

Still getting used to it, but managing quite well. I might even like it. In fact, I may even get rid of my old tower at work and just use the tablet (hooked up to my two monitors of course).
Now I have a new tower at work with 8.1 on it. Thankfully I have used the work tablet for a while, so I am somewhat used to it...
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I tested out a preview version of Windows 10 on my "guinea pig" computer and it didn't work properly. Hopefully that's not an omen. At this stage I don't mind the lack of a Start button on Windows 8. I just hit the Windows key and type some letters. It's something that has spilled over into my Windows 7 usage here at home. The one thing that does annoy me is the Charms. Charmless more like.