Merry Christmas

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Merry Christmas

Post by Keith Jordan »

For those of you whose religion enables you to celebrate the birth of the good Lord I wish you a merry christmas and a happy New Year!! :!: :!: :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Thank You and same to you :D
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Happy holidays!

mosespa

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by mosespa »

kjnpf wrote:For those of you whose religion enables you to celebrate the birth of the good Lord I wish you a merry christmas and a happy New Year!! :!: :!: :D :D :D :D
The following is taken from The Ayn Rand Lexicon, Objectivism A to Z.
Ayn Rand speaks in answer to the question of whether it is appropriate for an atheist to celebrate Christmas.

"...The secular meaning of the Christmas holiday is wider than the tenets of any particular religion: it is good will toward men--a frame of mind which is not the exclusivce property (though it is supposed to be a part, but is a largely unobserved part) of the Christian religion.
The charming aspect of Christmas is the fact that it expresses good will in a cheerful, happy, benevolent, non-sacrificial way. One says: "Merry Christmas"--not "Weep and Repent."
"...The best aspect of Christmas is the aspect usually decried by the mystics: the fact that Christmas has been commercialized The gift-buying...stimulates an enormous outpouring of ingenuity in the creation of products devoted to a single purpose: to give men pleasure. And the street decorations put up by department stores and other institutions--the Christmas trees, the winking lights, the glittering colors--provide the city with a spectacular display, which only "commercial greed" could affort to give us. One would have to be terribly depressed to resist the wonderful gaiety of that spectacle."

Not to be an ass, Keith, and I apologize if I'm coming off that way, but when I read your message above tying Christmas exclusively to Christianity, I had to come back with this.

After all, Xmas used to be a pagan celebration of the winter solstice until the Europeans (no offense, you guys) stole it for their religion and used it to try to convert the pagans.

Anyway, Happy Holidays to all of you.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Easter was also a pagen festival. That's where the egg and rabbit come from, true stuff.

Pagan rituals are mostly about multiplying (aka, sex) and easter is no excpetion. The egg represents life and the creation of it while rabbits represent multiplying - if you've enver watched a rabbit doumentry you will know why- This is true stuff, look it up on the net if you don't beleive me, and next time i post i'll include a quote from the book i read it in.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Mosespa wrote: " After all, Xmas used to be a pagan celebration of the winter solstice until the Europeans (no offense, you guys) stole it for their religion and used it to try to convert the pagans"

Europeans stole it from the pagans ?? And those pagans, what were they ?? Aboriginals ??? No, Europeans too.
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

Jesus was a bastard. His father (GOD) and mother(mary) weren't married therefore he is a bastard.
Next, if God didn't ask mary if he could impregnate her, then he is a RAPIST.
And if Mary did allow god to impregnate her then she is an ADULTERESS since she was already married to joseph.
All of those things go against most christian religions. That is why I don't believe in any type of religion.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Spinoza wrote:Mosespa wrote: " After all, Xmas used to be a pagan celebration of the winter solstice until the Europeans (no offense, you guys) stole it for their religion and used it to try to convert the pagans"

Europeans stole it from the pagans ?? And those pagans, what were they ?? Aboriginals ??? No, Europeans too.

Well...I figure that since the population of Europe is smaller in number than followers of Christianity, it would be better to risk ticking off the smallest number of people.

Good point, though. Surely, the pagans were Europeans, as well...being based in Europe and all.
GalileoProximo
Embryo
Embryo

ta much

Post by GalileoProximo »

:D :D may i take this opportunity to thank you Keith for the brilliant
job your doing on this site. keep up the sterling work.

david
GalileoProximo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by GalileoProximo »

oh and have a merry xmas and a boozed up new year

david
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

No problem David and thank you very much indeed!! :D
GalileoProximo
Embryo
Embryo

Congratulations!!!

Post by GalileoProximo »

Dear Keith:

I like to wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year, I also want to thank you for the labour you've been doing spreading the massage of Pink Floyd. Let me tell that your site is the best I´ve ever seen and I obviously mark it as my default internet page.

Regards,
Mauricio Avila Vaugier

:lol:
Furious
Knife
Knife

Re: Congratulations!!!

Post by Furious »

doves wrote:, I also want to thank you for the labour you've been doing spreading the massage of Pink Floyd.
i would like a sample of this Pink Floyd Massage :D
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Yeah!
Very merry Christmas and a happy New Year! (First of all, my english still sucks)

I watched today from telly It's a Wonderful Life (Capra) and now it's really CHRISTMAS!!

And remember tha Santa does not live in North Pole, he lives in Korvatunturi, but hes office is in Rovaniemi.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Happy Holidays!

A reason for so many of these holidays being at the same time (Christmas, Hanukah, Ramadan, Solstice, etc) is they are all of the same origin. It is easier to get people to celebrate something new in a similar way they were use to before.

This is not always a popular view, but there can only be one creator, so the others are wrong, or everyone is wrong (see aethiest).

I choose to respect everyone beliefs, and know that I can't know everything. God is the concept that we use to show respect for life and our fellow man. Just with different names, stories, and rituals.

I hope everyone has a great new year, peace in their life, and the world around them.

Dave