Echoes and 2001: Space Odyssey

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Echoes and 2001: Space Odyssey

Post by JML »

I watched 2001 from telly yesterday (maybe one of the best movies ever). Have anybody tried that synchrinozation between Echoes and 2001: Space Odyssey's last chapter? I tried once and I don't know if it synchronized so well, at least I saw both masterpieces in a new light. It's worth trying.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Ok, what's 2001 space odessy about? I gather it's about a trip in space, but what else happens? i ask this cause everyone goes on about how great it is and most good films have a good story.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

David Smith wrote:Ok, what's 2001 space odessy about? I gather it's about a trip in space, but what else happens? i ask this cause everyone goes on about how great it is and most good films have a good story.
Nobody can explain what's 2001 all about? Spaceship is travelling to Jupiter and it's computer (HAL 9000) gets mad. It's about human race, travelling to unknown. Begins from Australopitecus Afarensis(?)...
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

Kubrick was interviewerd about it

Interviewer: So, Stanley, what exactly is 2001: A Space Odessy about?

Kubrick: I don't bloody know!

:P
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Does it not just follow a simple narrative style with a definable story and an obvious ending or what?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It starts with the dawn of man and strongly suggests that "our" development and evolution is helped out by extraterrestrials.

It then jumps to modern man's space exploration and suggests that the same extraterrestrials are waiting for us to be ready to take the next step...which they will help us take.

The sequel, "2010" answers a lot of questions that the original movie doesn't answer...and also raises some that are (presumably) answered in the third novel..."2030," is it? (I forget...I haven't read it.)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Ok, that sounds like quite a damn good film.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

generally i like Kubrick, but i think 2001 is a pile of dingoes kidneys to be quite honest. :)
Jintzey
Axe
Axe

Re: Echoes and 2001: Space Odyssey

Post by Jintzey »

JML wrote:I watched 2001 from telly yesterday (maybe one of the best movies ever). Have anybody tried that synchrinozation between Echoes and 2001: Space Odyssey's last chapter? I tried once and I don't know if it synchronized so well, at least I saw both masterpieces in a new light. It's worth trying.
I downloaded the movie clip of it with Echoes overlayed as the soundtrack and I noticed that it doesn't really "sync" like DSotM and Wizard of Oz seems to. It's more like what you see on the movie somewhat relates to the lyrics in the song. I don't know if you can even go so far as to call it a "sync", rather they just share similarities. Basically, people can find anything they want in something if they really want to see it. I wouldn't get all excited about this thinking that it's some great sync, it's mostly just an interesting thing to try out. Also, there are alternate lyrics to Echoes that are more about planets and whatnot, and I heard that those alternate lyrics sync up way better to the content in the movie. But that seems kindof obvious though, I mean how likely are you to see planets rising in a movie set in space while you hear some lyric about "planets emerging" or whatever in a song? Not very amazing really. I could probably turn the TV on to the NASA channel and play Echoes and get at least as cool of a sync effect. They don't call Pink Floyd "space rock" for nothing. :wink: