What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Cluster One
Hammer
Hammer

What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Cluster One »

Inspired by the 'What Are You Listening To?' thread, I'm wondering what kind of reading material our forum users are cluttering up their brains with?

This is not meant to be a 'cerebral' thread, but rather one where we share our thoughts/recommendations of books, just as we do music. Often Floydians tend to be a little more 'well-read' than other music-lovers (or so I've experienced) if only because we tend to be a little more daring in experiencing new media/messages/experiences. Hey if that doesn't sound elitist, than what does!

What you read is just as often an indicator of what kind of a person you are as is how you speak, dress, or what kind of music you enjoy.

Anyway I look forward to some of the responses. You can write titles, authors, impressions of the book you've just read and/or reasons why you decided to read it.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am reading a really thought provoking and beautiful parable called "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" by Mitch Albom and I highly recommend it. It is about a man called Eddie who worked on "Ruby Pier" all his life who, without surprise, dies one day. He then goes on to meet 5 people in heaven whose lives he affected or who caused him discomfort in the living world. It is a deeply moving book if you apply the "rules he learns" to yourself. Wonderfulyl written. "A gift to the soul".

Heaven is when you understand all that happened on earth. Anger does not hurt the people you are angry with - just yourself!

Read this book! :D

P.S. Thanks to my friend Laura for recommending it to me! 8)
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cluster One
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cluster One »

My current fare is:

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad. Based on one man's journey into the heart of sub-saharan Africa. How one man eventually becomes seen as a God by the locals, and how he is corrupted by this. The movie Apocalypse Now is based on this 100-year old classic.

The Making of The Madcap Laughs - Malcolm Jones. The .pdf file 'book' posted just recently by Keith provided some pretty good 'behind-the-scenes' insights into Syd' s early solo recording sessions. A quick and enjoyable read. For Syd/Floyd obsessives only though.

Fields of Fire - Terry Copp. A narrative history of the Canadian Army in the Battle of Normandy 1944/45.
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

im reading that making of the madcap laughs pdf file like most members
sammy
Axe
Axe

Post by sammy »

i'm on reading Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce.i've just finished reading Random Precision,recording the music of Syd Barrett'65-'74 by David Parker,and also Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis.both superb reads.
Little Wing
Knife
Knife
Location: On the dark side of the moon with Animals watching the piper at the gates of dawn behind the wall

Post by Little Wing »

I am currently reading Stephen Kings epic series The Dark Tower I am currently on book V of VII called The Wolves of The Calla

The books are pure fantasy wich is different from his usual horror thrillers but still a great read and i highly recomend it.

A brief sumary:

A man named Roland from a place called Gilead is a gunslinger and the last one alive and is sent on a quest to find the "dark tower" wich he knows nothings about and is the only thing that is keeping him alive is his undieing urge to find the tower.
[Jon]
Knife
Knife

Post by [Jon] »

Keith Jordan wrote:I am reading a really thought provoking and beautiful parable called "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" by Mitch Albom and I highly recommend it.
I've seen half of that movie that they should on FOX here a while ago... It was Ok...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm reading the Outsiders... only for Language Arts in school. Otherwise, I wouldn't be reading at all! :D
riders of fury
Blade
Blade

Post by riders of fury »

Barron's How To Prepare For The GMAT :?
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

I've just finished reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss. It's a great read about the misuse of punctuation and how it seems to have fallen by the wayside in recent years. It comes with its fair share of laugh-out-loud moments as well as some genuinely interesting titbits. Plus there's always the chance it could teach someone how to use that bloody semicolon correctly, and not follow it with a dash and a bracket!! :wink:

I'm just about to start The Songs Of Distant Earth by Arthur C Clarke - the book upon which Mike Oldfield based his album of 1994.

David
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

The Teeth of The Tiger - Tom Clancey
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Recently read books (as from new year)

On The Road- Jack Kerouac
The Catcher In The Rye- J. D Salinger
The Trial - Franz Kafka
Naked Lunch- William S Burroughs
Junky- William S Burroughs

And now... Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

Would recomend any of the first 5 books to anyone, especially Naked Lunch which stands as being perhaps the best book i ever read (not counting a Poe volume)
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Finally i have time to read Inside Out 8)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Currently reading a book called Problems of Confederation, 12 essays about my country's constitution.

However, I consider myself a "citizen of the universe", you know, spacey star-dust freak.
Bublike
Axe
Axe

Post by Bublike »

J.R.R. Tolkien : The Book Of Lost Tales, I
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm going to have to go to the bookstore and get some new reading material soon. Recent reads have been:

From Hell by Alan Moore and some artist
Watchmen by Alan Moore and some other artist
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (no pictures, sorry...)
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (for the 16th time, I think)