Careful With That Axe Eugene in Oakland, May 9, 1977

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Mystek
Embryo
Embryo

Careful With That Axe Eugene in Oakland, May 9, 1977

Post by Mystek »

Hi
Does anyone know how it was possible that they played Careful in Oakland 77 (May 9). Why they played it? Every concert from In The Flesh Tour was almost the same (all tracks from Animals, WYWH and Money plus Us & Them sometimes). Only two times they played more. Drift Away in Montreal and Careful... in Oakland (May 9). Why ? Maybe someone was on this show ?
cheers
fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

i have no idea. i've had the song for a while and only recently got the whole show and to be brutilly honest, all 77 shows suck cos of the stupid crowd!!!! but Careful was nowhere near as good as how they used to do it. especially on the 72 tour. when roger does that pict accent on the 15th Nov, 1972 its just so awesome.
dukem
Blade
Blade

Post by dukem »

i agree fat old sun, i have heard some 77 shows and the quality is rubbish and the performances arent that great.
I can see why roger got infuriated at the crowd, but at least the wall came out of them shows from his experiences.
fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

dukem wrote: but at least the wall came out of them shows from his experiences.
exactly. the good comes with the bad, but god, the set lists for the animals tour was fantastic. stupid party animals. but do u noticed that only a few years later for the wall tour the crowd are soooooo much mature than the kids at the stadiums lol. but i cant pay out the kids that much as it was where my gf's parents met at lol Chicago 77 :P
mister_knobbs
Blade
Blade

Post by mister_knobbs »

I only have the 1977 Montreal RoIO and to be brutally honest too, that show was a total mess. the crowd went stupid, the band was out of humour and care in every way, Roger's behavior is well-known, but the songs were also boring, I mean not the songs themselves - they are fantastic! - but the way they were played. The concert was too long, and the crowd really sounded like if they wanted the show to finish, and not for more and more encores. The second half of SOYCD was laughably long and boring for example.
snodgrass
Embryo
Embryo

Post by snodgrass »

I think that the 77 performances are great - Gilmour's playing on the Montreal show especially.

If the crowd were that keen for the show to finish they could always have gone home.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

mister_knobbs wrote:I only have the 1977 Montreal RoIO and to be brutally honest too, that show was a total mess. the crowd went stupid, the band was out of humour and care in every way, Roger's behavior is well-known, but the songs were also boring, I mean not the songs themselves - they are fantastic! - but the way they were played. The concert was too long, and the crowd really sounded like if they wanted the show to finish, and not for more and more encores. The second half of SOYCD was laughably long and boring for example.
out of humour? boring? Have you listened to Shine on II? The best performance ever! Gilmour is absoulutely brilliant here, same for Pigs 3DO. And Gilmour and Waters are changing the lyrics of Shine on II and nearly can?t sing because they have to laugh so hard does not look tom me like they were out of humour....
DarkWallMother88
Axe
Axe

Post by DarkWallMother88 »

I have two awsome shows from the 77 tour. Montreal and Oakland. The oakland show has carful with that axe eugene on it. If you would like a copy, pm me.

Edit--
Mite i add, that the oakland show i have has little crowd noise. I would go as far as to say its a sound board, but its not. So to those of you who think all In The Flesh shows sound like shit, your wrong if you listen to this..
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

DarkWallMother88 wrote:I have two awsome shows from the 77 tour. Montreal and Oakland. The oakland show has carful with that axe eugene on it.
I agree those two shows are awesome Oakland is the better of the two. Careful is a pretty ok version (By PF standards), but the rest of th concert is great especially shine on, money and pigs with the extra solos. Dave and Snowy are great.
DarkWallMother88
Axe
Axe

Alternative 4 wrote:
DarkWallMother88 wrote:I have two awsome shows from the 77 tour. Montreal and Oakland. The oakland show has carful with that axe eugene on it.
I agree those two shows are awesome Oakland is the better of the two. Careful is a pretty ok version (By PF standards), but the rest of th concert is great especially shine on, money and pigs with the extra solos. Dave and Snowy are great.
Yeah the extra solo's are awsome. Snowy is a very good guitarist and has to be to have worked with the masters.
animal77
Axe
Axe

Post by animal77 »

strange to me how any one can slag down montreal 77, oakland 77, evn fortworth 77, or boston77.
Guys these tapes are amonst the very best recordings avalible of live floyd from any period. look for the masters of all of these. Check out the master tape of oakland for eg:...,it sounds like a soundboard in places. the very best sounding aud recording to me there is of floyd.
fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

animal77 wrote:strange to me how any one can slag down montreal 77, oakland 77, evn fortworth 77, or boston77.
Guys these tapes are amonst the very best recordings avalible of live floyd from any period. look for the masters of all of these. Check out the master tape of oakland for eg:...,it sounds like a soundboard in places. the very best sounding aud recording to me there is of floyd.
have you got these masters????????????
DarkWallMother88
Axe
Axe

animal77 wrote:strange to me how any one can slag down montreal 77, oakland 77, evn fortworth 77, or boston77.
Yeah they all sound very good if u have the master tape. I do. I love it, i listen to it live more then the studio just becaues the songs are much more longer and the solos are better.
Lumiere
Knife
Knife

Post by Lumiere »

The 1977 shows are some of my favourite live Pink recordings, if only for the brilliant setlists - WYWH material, ANIMALS in its entirety (this an exceedingly whacky but interesting new trackorder).
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Lumiere wrote:...ANIMALS in its entirety (this an exceedingly whacky but interesting new trackorder).

wacky compard to the album
but not compared to the 74 set list from which both WYWH and Animals evolved!

compare:
British Winter Tour 74
set1:
Raving & Drooling
You Gotta Be Crazy
Shine On
set2:
Dark Side
encore:
Echoes

in 75 Have a Cigar is added in the middle of Shine On

In The Flesh Tour