NPF Tribute CD Thread

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

I could do Wish You Were Here, but my singing is terrible and I can't play the second solo (although I could attempt to learn it). If the expectations aren't going to be too high, then I'll do it.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

As of now, it seems that my band (name's Pretorius, by the way) will be attempting to heavy up Not Now John.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Powderfinger wrote:I think it's a good idea, but I can't help you guys. First I am a very poor player, and I don't have any ways to record properly. I'll be intersested in the result, though.
Why not just have a play around and see what you can come up with, it doesnt have to sound like Floyd, just be one of their songs, it would be better if you put your own stamp on it anyway (Olzens post above pretty much sums it up) and I can clean up the recording here, and of course, no ones offered to cover Goodbye Cruel World yet :) but if you really dont feel able to record a song yourself then why not have a go at the suggestion I made earlier where members of the forum could record some of the speech parts on the Floyd tracks? that way you could still contribute, it would be good to have as many members on board as possible.
Yeah, I can do the Flash Card Thing, but the only thing is, I don't even have a proper microphone to record it. I do have some very old cheap thingy. I'll try to do some, let's see what it'll be. :)
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

I think id like to do Shine on you crazy diamond. Ive got a few ideas to change the song around a bit.

When do we have to have done it by?
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

I uploaded my Shine On last night. It's at http://www.enigmatism.pwp.blueyonder.co ... /soycd.mp3. I'm not neccesarily posting it as a contribution, rather following the original thread title and just posting my music!!

Comments welcome! :)

David
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Useful Idiot wrote:I could do Wish You Were Here, but my singing is terrible and I can't play the second solo (although I could attempt to learn it). If the expectations aren't going to be too high, then I'll do it.
If you are realy that uncomfortable with your singing then you could record the guitar part and then offer that up to someone on the forum that doesnt play but can sing to provide the vocals, that way 2 members can be involved at once and if the vocalist doesnt have the ability to dub on the vocals themselves then they could just record them and send them to me and I can piece the 2 together here. As for the second solo, why not just have a play around and see what you can come up with, I know it will sound a bit weird hearing something different there as we're all so used to it but it would be good if everyone could add there own individual stamp to the songs.
olzen wrote:As of now, it seems that my band (name's Pretorius, by the way) will be attempting to heavy up Not Now John.
Excellent choice sir! I've a feeling that the Final Cut album might be a little overlooked on this project (as with most Floyd tributes) so good on yer for choosing that, looking forward to hearing how it turns out!
Powderfinger wrote:Yeah, I can do the Flash Card Thing, but the only thing is, I don't even have a proper microphone to record it. I do have some very old cheap thingy. I'll try to do some, let's see what it'll be. :)
Thats not a problem, the speech stuff will be used as segues, perhaps over fade outs like on the end of Money or inbetween numbers like the Amused To Death LP, all depends on whats there when it comes to the final mix so dont worry about the quality, I can tweak it and maybe add some effects if necessary, just go for it and let us know what you have.
db_intheflesh wrote:I uploaded my Shine On last night. It's at http://www.enigmatism.pwp.blueyonder.co ... /soycd.mp3. I'm not neccesarily posting it as a contribution, rather following the original thread title and just posting my music!!

Comments welcome! :)

David
Very, very promising cover, I love the curveball when the stripped down vocals come in, most unexpected and the guitar sound 15 minutes in is to die for! The only thing that really lets it down is the drum sounds which sound like a standard GM kit, some of the levels need adjusting too (the lead vocal does tend to get drowned out quite a lot) but whats there does sound good and with a little tweaking could be something really special. If you fancy sending me the individual parts of your recording I wouldnt mind having a little play around.
pinknewbie wrote:I think id like to do Shine on you crazy diamond. Ive got a few ideas to change the song around a bit.
Go for it, db has done a version but he said in his post that its not necessarily for this project and of course if theres enough people contributing it could always go to 2 discs so they could be apart from each other anyway, failing that they could always bookend the disc.
pinknewbie wrote:When do we have to have done it by?
Good question, no ones actually come up with this yet, but I guess when theres enough material for 1 or 2 discs would be a good time but then again thats no reason to stop because we could always do a volume 2 and so on.

So, heres whos doing what so far...

simpledumbpilot - Chapter 24 (electronic cover as ''Payola Disco'')
simpledumbpilot - Let There Be More Light (faux orchestral cover as ''The Nothing'')
mosespa - Pigs 3DO (rocked up cover possibly as ''Keychain Logic''?)
pinknewbie (and possibly db_in_the_flesh) - Shine On
Olzen - Not Now John (rocked up cover as ''Pretorius'')
Useful Idiot - potential cover of Wish You Were Here
fat_old_sun - already has some Floyd covers recorded, time to offer one up old chap!
Jonesy - unknown at present but has offered, time to badger those band mates Jonesy!
Powderfinger - possible Roger The Hat stand in :)

also I think Keith Jordan should be made aware of this as he has already proved hes capable of knocking up a Floyd cover, and another person that should know about this is Woof (Jay) who makes very intersting (and very good!), experimental lo-fi stuff, I'll send him an e-mail.

Thats a good half a disc full at least there already so the potential really is there for this to happen.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Useful Idiot wrote:my singing is terrible
You can always throw in a crapload of FX and cover "A New Machine" :wink:
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

Many thanks on your kind comments! :)
simpledumbpilot wrote:The only thing that really lets it down is the drum sounds which sound like a standard GM kit
Yep - drums are the only thing I don't have access to, so for all my recordings I've had to rely on writing MIDIs. If anyone fancies drumming the whole part, there's a co-credit available! :-P
simpledumbpilot wrote:some of the levels need adjusting too (the lead vocal does tend to get drowned out quite a lot) but whats there does sound good and with a little tweaking could be something really special. If you fancy sending me the individual parts of your recording I wouldnt mind having a little play around.
The individual parts come to a whopping 1.75Gb!! Don't think even G-mail would allow that kind of attachment! I'd appreciate any tips for tweaking the sound - all I've learned has just been from playing about with things myself and to be honest don't know enough about EQing and dynamic processing to come up with a really tight mix.
simpledumbpilot wrote:
pinknewbie wrote:I think id like to do Shine on you crazy diamond. Ive got a few ideas to change the song around a bit.
Go for it, db has done a version but he said in his post that its not necessarily for this project and of course if theres enough people contributing it could always go to 2 discs so they could be apart from each other anyway, failing that they could always bookend the disc.
Don't think there's any point duplicating material where we don't need to, so go for it with your version, pinknewbie. I want to see how my DSOTM turns out once I get some backing singers - the problem is that the tracks are again recorded with GM drums, so a drummer's help might be required for a better sound. At the moment I feel Time/Breathe Reprise/Great Gig is my strongest section, but the latter depends on me getting a good vocalist. Any volunteers?! :)

So put me down for those for the time being.

Anyone know anywhere I can get some online storage space to up these to? My ISP has a limit of 30Mb and Shine On is taking that up!

Cheers
David
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Alright, I'll record a guitar part for WYWH as soon as possible. Any voulenteers to sing it?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Despite vocals being my weakest link, I'd love to try my hand at WYWH, Useful Idiot.

Stu, you're right...TFC will probably be MAJORLY overlooked...having said that, I may (notice I said "MAY") try my hand at seeing what I can do with...say, The Hero's Return and/or The Final Cut.

Also thinking about doing something with some other songs...Nobody Home, for example.

By the way...just because I'm saying that I want to do something with these songs doesn't mean that someone else can't, as well.

Hell, we could even call it "A Collection Of Great Cover Songs," or something.

Another potentially stupid question...do we want to keep these PF covers, or dare we venture into solo material territory? I only ask because I got to thinking last night that I could also do some really cool stuff with The Powers That Be.

Stu, you mentioned something about "bookending" the album...I think it would be cool to pick a definite song(s) to start and end the thing with. SOYCD would be ideal because the collection could start with Parts 1-5 and end with Parts 6-9...or even POTW or even two songs that aren't parts of each other.

Just some ideas.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

we have done breath as a jam yesterday and it was pretty good and we might do great gig in the sky acoustic ??
ill post the jam and tell me what you think ..
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

db_intheflesh wrote:The individual parts come to a whopping 1.75Gb!! Don't think even G-mail would allow that kind of attachment! I'd appreciate any tips for tweaking the sound - all I've learned has just been from playing about with things myself and to be honest don't know enough about EQing and dynamic processing to come up with a really tight mix.
You could always send them to me on CD but as you are doing DSotM tracks instead then no worries. As for tips, what sequencing software do you use? Id need to know that really before giving an advice otherwise any tips might be useless to you.

If its any help I do know someone who can do a belting Great Gig In The Sky, I'll have an ask if they want to have a bash if you like?
mosespa wrote:Despite vocals being my weakest link, I'd love to try my hand at WYWH, Useful Idiot.
Ah well there you go UE, Im sure Sean could probably handle the second solo as well if it proves a problem.
mosespa wrote:"A Collection Of Great Cover Songs"
I think we have ourselves a title folks! It seems so blindingly obvious seeing it written down that I had to do a quick Google search to make sure someone hadnt used it already and no one appears to have so I'll second that as the title.
mosespa wrote:do we want to keep these PF covers, or dare we venture into solo material territory?
I like the idea of doing solo material, Syd stuff aside theres a whole wealth of virtually untouched songs there, I think they should be fair game too.
mosespa wrote:Stu, you mentioned something about "bookending" the album...I think it would be cool to pick a definite song(s) to start and end the thing with. SOYCD would be ideal because the collection could start with Parts 1-5 and end with Parts 6-9...or even POTW or even two songs that aren't parts of each other.
Oh yeah, definitely, this might prove tricky but I really like the idea of splitting a song that isnt in 2 parts, I think that could give our CD something a little unique, one I thought about that could work would be Sheep, it could be split at the breakdown leading into the ''lord is my shepherd'' section, part 1 could end when the breakdown hits and part 2 could resume the track from the breakdown, I could easily add a chord rundown or something like to the end of my electronic cover which could segue nicely into the synths in that section of Sheep, also someone contributing to the Flash Card Thread could record the ''lord is my shepherd'' speech thus getting another member involved, it would require a bit of planning but I think its doable, alternatively Dogs (which might be a more popular choice) could work like that too if it was split after the first ''dragged down by the stone'' line, what would be really neat would be to have different members of the forum recording the 2 different parts too, Im probably having delusions of grandieur here arent I but if anyone wanted to try either of those or suggest another song that could work that would be ace!
jonesy wrote:we might do great gig in the sky acoustic ??
That would be cool! Id like to hear that!
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

simpledumbpilot wrote:As for tips, what sequencing software do you use? Id need to know that really before giving an advice otherwise any tips might be useless to you.
I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2.0.
simpledumbpilot wrote:If its any help I do know someone who can do a belting Great Gig In The Sky, I'll have an ask if they want to have a bash if you like?
I'd really appreciate that!! Would be great! I'll try to find webspace to upload the backing track to.

About an hour ago I had an idea for an amalgamation of two totally unrelated songs, in terms of their origins - and I mean totally unrelated! I'm going to try to work up an arrangement tonight and try it out tomorrow. I'll spill the beans if all works well!

David
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

I've decided to sticky this post.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

av a listen to this if it works
its breath that we did yesterday in a jam