NPF Tribute CD Thread

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

db_intheflesh wrote:I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2.0.
Ah, then Im afraid you probably know more about the programme than I do, we use Cubase and Pro-Tools at work and tend to use VST effects and instruments a lot so we dont have Cool Edit, do Syntrillium have much by way of plug-ins and updates available? I know there was a Cool Edit Pro2 recently but that still didnt have VST support so I never looked any further into it Im afraid so Im not really sure what options you have available.
db_intheflesh wrote:
simpledumbpilot wrote:If its any help I do know someone who can do a belting Great Gig In The Sky, I'll have an ask if they want to have a bash if you like?
I'd really appreciate that!! Would be great! I'll try to find webspace to upload the backing track to.
OK Cool, I'll have an ask, it might be a week away before I see her next but I'll try ringing after New Years day.
db_intheflesh wrote:About an hour ago I had an idea for an amalgamation of two totally unrelated songs, in terms of their origins - and I mean totally unrelated! I'm going to try to work up an arrangement tonight and try it out tomorrow. I'll spill the beans if all works well!
Sounds intriguing!
Useful Idiot wrote:I've decided to sticky this post.
Good call, as this thread seems to have turned into an NPF tribute CD thread, if Jonesy doesnt mind, how about a slight alteration in the thread title? Just something small like adding ''tribute'' or ''Floyd covers'' between the ''NPF'' and ''CD'' that are in brackets? it might gain a little more interest.
jonesy wrote:its breath that we did yesterday in a jam
I really like the idea with the intro, and nice touch leaving the first couple of seconds of (sort of) fumbling in, you should keep that bit for the finished version, it would make a neat segue, I also liked the addition of the reprise as well, I dont think I've ever heard the 2 parts played as 1 piece before, should be good to hear a finished version. Whats your role in the band Jonesy? I looked at both your sites but couldnt find any lineup information.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

im playing the bass

thats the first time we tried playing it and things clicked (sort of) but the tune its self was upside down inside out hahaha the intro just happend so we thought we'd try and make it sound like something off animals but with the beat still representing the heart beat then kick in with breath kind of thing. we'll see what happens when we try and 4 track it but were gonna do both the 1st and 2nd parts together (reprise)

we also had a go at brain damage but we was a bit pissed by then hahaha(drunk) :lol:
and arnold lane
and great gig (acoustic gtar) which sounds pretty good but quite difficult ??
anyways well probably do some more and see what happens

good idea to change the title
Vegetable-Man
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable-Man »

My band has recently broken up. :(

Though I'd love to contribute in some way. I might pull off Terrapin or Dark Globe by Syd solo. Too late tonight, but I'll start tomorow.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

I recorded a guitar part for Wish You Were Here, but then I decided that there are probably tons of you guys who could do it better than I did. So I'm dropping out of this project. Good luck to the rest of you though.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Sounds interesting...
Have to dig up some of my demo tapes with my band where everyone is trying to play something else, and i am the one who is kicking it off into Floyd direction...and everybody would then go like; ah f..k off with that Floyd stuff, we are trying to play something original. And then i would be the one who is leaving the room. :(
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

This seems like a really good idea. If you were to plan it to happen over the next 4-5 months, I would advertise it in the site newsletter. We would have to decide who is doing what though... collecting people's material, mastering it, making the master SHN/Audio disc, doing the artwork etc. Shall we put a package together and get it done with some organisation?
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

Keith Jordan wrote:Shall we put a package together and get it done with some organisation?
Hey, do you call EMI or should I do it?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Powderfinger wrote:Hey, do you call EMI or should I do it?
Not that sort of organisation! Time frame, deadlines, roles and responsibilities etc. to make it all run smoothly.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Excellent ideas, Keith.

Not attempting to speak for everyone involved in the project, but I think a time frame of four to five months (or longer if we need, but we should set a DEFINITE time frame for completion) is a great idea. As is advertising it in the newsletter.

The question of how to distribute comes to mind...weeding seems like a natural choice. But also, if Keith wanted to include it among the downloads, that would be pretty keen, as well.

Keith Jordan wrote:This seems like a really good idea. If you were to plan it to happen over the next 4-5 months, I would advertise it in the site newsletter. We would have to decide who is doing what though... collecting people's material, mastering it, making the master SHN/Audio disc, doing the artwork etc. Shall we put a package together and get it done with some organisation?
I sense a "Volunteers" thread in the works.
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

Useful Idiot wrote:I recorded a guitar part for Wish You Were Here, but then I decided that there are probably tons of you guys who could do it better than I did. So I'm dropping out of this project. Good luck to the rest of you though.
Its a tribute so it doesnt matter how good you are. If people want to hear the song they will buy the album besides you have time to practice!
fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

i'm looking but i cant find it. i'm looking for a download for Cool Edit Pro 2.0

could anyone put me in the right direction please. thankx in advance.
Danielj
Axe
Axe

Post by Danielj »

If I could record Id do Astronomy Domine
How do you guys do it? Record that is........ I have an output for my amp to plugin "Cd/Tape, but how do I do that?
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

fat_old_sun wrote:i'm looking but i cant find it. i'm looking for a download for Cool Edit Pro 2.0

could anyone put me in the right direction please. thankx in advance.
Get Cubase instead, or if you can afford it, Pro-Tools. Cool Edit doesnt support VST plug ins, if you get a sequencer with VST support then your only limitation is your imagination!
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

Me and my band are having a jam tonight so we'll try a few things I was going to do shine on but im also thinking about time which no one is doing yet.

Ill let you all know tomorrow
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Danielj wrote:If I could record Id do Astronomy Domine
How do you guys do it? Record that is........ I have an output for my amp to plugin "Cd/Tape, but how do I do that?
Not quite sure what you mean here, are you talking about an output on a guitar amp or do you mean an input on a regular hi-fi amp? if you mean the latter then what is it you want to plug into it?