NPF Tribute CD Thread

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

Happy new year to everyone!

Quick question - what is VST, and what are the uses of it?

David
Danielj
Axe
Axe

Post by Danielj »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Danielj wrote:If I could record Id do Astronomy Domine
How do you guys do it? Record that is........ I have an output for my amp to plugin "Cd/Tape, but how do I do that?
Not quite sure what you mean here, are you talking about an output on a guitar amp or do you mean an input on a regular hi-fi amp? if you mean the latter then what is it you want to plug into it?

Sorry, it says CD/Tape Input, so is that just for background music or can I record using that somehow? How do you guys record your music?
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

i use a four track tape recorder (a crap one at that )tascam porta 2
if you dont know what one is look it up on the internet.?
or you could use a program on your computer like cubase or acid pro 4 or reason etc or try and find a easy one have a look on some software sites for multi tracking software for free downloads and then it's trial and error or you could read the instructions :wink:
email me and i'll try and sort you out
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Stick me down for Lucifer Sam please.

Just checking in briefly today, but I'll be fully firing as of Tuesday.

I'll be using Cubase with plenty of VST synths, rendered output to Cool Edit for normalisation and reverb then onto DD Clip because it is the least fussy way to record and sequence audio. Possibly back to Cubase for sequencing and final render, depending on disc space.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

db_intheflesh wrote:Quick question - what is VST, and what are the uses of it?

David
VST = Virtual Studio Technology.

VST plug ins can be a number of things but most commonly effects and instrument emulators (VSTi's). I'll use your Shine On cover as an example, it sounds like you were trying to recreate the keyboard sound at the beginning, if you had VST support you could use a handy plug in called ''Crazy Diamonds'' which is essentially a very small synthesizer programme that works with your host sequencer. You'll find that these small emulator programmes will give you just about any synth sound you want but also drums, strings, piano and some great samplers too!

Effects plug-ins are pretty much endless too, if you want a delay or any other effect you can just download one and there you have it, an excellent site for downlolading VST plugins from is http://www.vstcentral.com which will give you links to loads of freeware ones. A somewhat less rushed explaination of VST software can be found on the industry bible's site here...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec00/articles/vst.asp

OK, now for the incredibly cliche'd part but 100% true - You'll find that once you move onto a sequencer with VST support you'll never turn back (or something like that :) )
Danielj wrote:Sorry, it says CD/Tape Input, so is that just for background music or can I record using that somehow?
OK if its an input then you cant record using it, however you still havent told us what actually has this input and without knowing what equipment you are using its impossible to tell you how to set it up so you can record.
Norbert Wilkins wrote:Stick me down for Lucifer Sam please.

Just checking in briefly today, but I'll be fully firing as of Tuesday.

I'll be using Cubase with plenty of VST synths, rendered output to Cool Edit for normalisation and reverb then onto DD Clip because it is the least fussy way to record and sequence audio. Possibly back to Cubase for sequencing and final render, depending on disc space.
Yay, another electronic cover from the Piper album! Im doing Chapter 24 with loads of VSTi's too! Which version of Cubase are you using? I only ask as Im not sure why you want to use Cool Edit and DD Clip as well as all those functions are doable in Cubase so it seems like you are making work for yourself there.
ryansmells
Axe
Axe

Post by ryansmells »

Danielj wrote:If I could record Id do Astronomy Domine
How do you guys do it? Record that is........ I have an output for my amp to plugin "Cd/Tape, but how do I do that?
If your just trying to record from your guitar to your computer I'd recommend getting Audacity. It supports all of that VST stuff and best of all its free.

I'd also recommend miking your amp instead of using a lineout if you can. In my experience using a lineout usually sounds like garbage.

You might want to get your hands on a POD or another line-level device that you can use directly with your soundcard.
fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

wow!!!! after the first session of recording, you can definatly put me and simpledumbpilot down for ATOM HEART MOTHER...

yes... ATOM HEART MOTHER!!!!!

i think i wana call it "the moo of Lulubell IV" :D :wink: :roll: :twisted:
Danielj
Axe
Axe

Post by Danielj »

Er sorry simple dumb pilot,

40 watt Peavey Rage 158 Amplifier. Not that much, but enough.

If I do it Ill probably mic the amp like buddy said. Oh, you know what would work even easier, I realize its a bit primitive, but videotaping it and just removing the video and doing audio. That way I have it on the computer and I dont have to bug you guys so much ;). Ill have to decide which song though, I dont think I like astronomy domine, I just cant pull off the style.
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

I've got my basic piano backing track done for my strange mix of two songs. I'll build up a basic mix within the next week or so and it can be decided if it works or not.

I also "got" Cubase this afternoon - I'll have a play about with it tomorrow. I'm not a MIDI or sequencer type of musician. Everything I record is either a guitar, vocal, some other real instrument, or my recently acquired organ (as on SOYCD intro and outro). I've had to use MIDI drums a lot, so perhaps Cubase will help a bit there. I'll see how it goes...

David
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

hey great idea folks! Ill record a song now... hmm what should i do?
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

The Gnome! The Gnome! :wink:
fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

the "E.V.P....???? GHOSTIES?" thread gave me an idea. in the very slow and quiet section of atom heart mother, i wanted to include some voices and it seems the "flash card" thing that Mosepa is doing would fit in just great!!! it would be so cool to have voices fading in and out and going from left to right. i've always found this bit of the song rather freaky, freaky but cool. what u think guys?
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

After our jam the other night Ive decided I dont want to do shine on because basically we cant come up with anything that sounds special.

So Ive got a list of a few tracks we decided we could do and change around a bit.

Fearless
Whats.. uh the deal
Stay
Welcome to the machine
The Final Cut
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Lost for words
Coming Back to life

Basically what I want to know is which one of these would suit the album most. Which track would you all perfer?
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Norbert Wilkins wrote:Stick me down for Lucifer Sam please.
Yay, another electronic cover from the Piper album! Im doing Chapter 24 with loads of VSTi's too! Which version of Cubase are you using? I only ask as Im not sure why you want to use Cool Edit and DD Clip as well as all those functions are doable in Cubase so it seems like you are making work for yourself there.
Cubase VST/32 V5.0 R3. Can't say I'm hugely fond of the program, and find it more than a little fiddly to use, but it does work on the antiquated PC I am saddled with and is still the easiest way I know of rendering VST soft-synths. Latency is a joke though, so I usually have to find good patches outside Cubase followed by a long period of trial and error while I render sections to see what works. I find the lag when recording audio is so gaping that Cubase is abosolutely unusable for sync sound, which is why I use the free version of DD Clip. It's designed for syncing audio to video, and the free version only has one video timeline and four audio tracks, but it's a breeze to use as a standalone digital four-track (4 x stereo tracks,) simple operation with incredibly low CPU usage, and has a full virtual graded LED level meter which is absolutely essential when recording directly from microphones or effects pedals.

I use Cool Edit 2000 because it is nice and quick and intuitive. Mostly to strip the dead channel from the stereo tracks recorded in DD Clip, but also to add reverb (Cubase usually crashes when I try to audition reverb) and occasionally more daring effects, eg. gated metal reverb, dub delay, etc. etc. etc.

I guess I'm not entirely up to speed on Cubase because I find creating and adjusting volume and pan points to be a doddle in DD Clip and haven't quite worked out how to do this in Cubase. However Cubase is the only way I know to do sampling (one of the plug-ins, forget which) and brilliant for mapping a single VL-Tone note across the audio spectrum.

An aside: Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap USB 2 or Firewire audio I/O box that offers at least four inputs? I want to get some of my old four-track cassette recordings dumped onto a mate's laptop for cleaning and polishing. My Fostex X-15 is horrendously hissy and not my favourite home studio friend.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Norbert Wilkins wrote:An aside: Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap USB 2 or Firewire audio I/O box that offers at least four inputs? I want to get some of my old four-track cassette recordings dumped onto a mate's laptop for cleaning and polishing. My Fostex X-15 is horrendously hissy and not my favourite home studio friend.
I've always found that a simple stereo cable with RCA plugs at one end and an 1/8" plug at the other end works just fine. Simply connect the four track to the line input on the computer and mix just like you would to any other format.