NPF Tribute CD Thread

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

mosespa wrote:
Norbert Wilkins wrote:An aside: Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap USB 2 or Firewire audio I/O box that offers at least four inputs? I want to get some of my old four-track cassette recordings dumped onto a mate's laptop for cleaning and polishing. My Fostex X-15 is horrendously hissy and not my favourite home studio friend.
I've always found that a simple stereo cable with RCA plugs at one end and an 1/8" plug at the other end works just fine. Simply connect the four track to the line input on the computer and mix just like you would to any other format.
That's all fine, and back in the mists of time when my DAT machine was working that's exactly what I did. The issue now is how to get my old four track masters dumped onto a laptop in one go so I can play with the tracks independently without spending hours nudging stereo pairs back and forth until they line up.

Edirol do a USB mixer (the M100FX) that allows external effects sends. Although I already have a pretty good mixer this might be a good way to go. 200 quid though. All I really need is a full duplex multichannel in/out box that will plug into a laptop.
eoin5
Axe
Axe

Post by eoin5 »

If anyone wants a bassist for some collaboration email me at [email protected], well up for some PF tunes, can do a lot of the effect ridden stuff as well as the normal stuff.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

This post no longer meets the stated requirements.

Last edited by Vlad The Impaler on Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

I think I've found the answer. The Maya 44 USB doesn't do anything flash, just 4 in, 4 out plus SPDIF out. The audio ins appear in the computer as 2x stereo pairs, but I can deal with that. Turnkey in London have quoted ?95, but I've seen it on the web for ?67, so I guess I'll just have to shop around a little before committing myself. All the really nice expensive units with built in bells and whistles will just have to wait until I'm nice and rich, I think.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Norbert Wilkins wrote:Latency is a joke though
Have you tried switching ASIO drivers?

As you say you are using an ''antiquated pc'' thats probably where the trouble lies, I have no latency problems and have always been able to do everything Ive ever wanted to do with Cubase, altho admittedly I do have the same setup that Ralf Hutter uses live, just a different midi-controller. Is anyone else having problems with the programme?

Also Norbert, are you sure your PC will be fast enough to deal with the Maya 44 if you are having problems with just adding reverb in Cubase?
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

A suggestion: As some of the members here compose their own stuff I was thinking if it's a good idea to have a double CD album. One with Floyd covers and the other with your original material. Possible?

Also I was thinking of starting a thread where people can suggest a name for the album. Don't get me wrong Mosespa, I like your suggestion 'A Collection Of Great Cover Songs'. It's a bit generic if you know what I mean.

Also my ISP has started a new package for hosting files and websites. It's dirt cheap. And the 'production team' WILL need some online space to host it AND I was thinking of getting me some online space for some personal use. So if it's a good idea and if you guys think you're going to need some online space, please let me know.
Card Thread could record the ''lord is my shepherd'' speech thus getting another member involved, it would require a bit of planning but I think its doable,
I'm not very musically talented so heres another potentially stupid suggestion. :oops: If you're going to do a cover of Sheep at all it might, (emphasis on MIGHT :wink: ) be a good idea to get a kid to say the 'lord is my shepherd' part. Not with a lot of effects like the original one but low in volume as compared to the music that will surround it. You know like in Enter Sandman - Metallica. It's kind of scary but cool. It might be a lot of work but it will be cool and different.

Here's hoping the kid wont sue us when he grows up. :lol:
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

simpledumbpilot wrote:Have you tried switching ASIO drivers?
I mostly use the 500MHz office PC - I have a lot of free time at work - but didn't see the point in installing a proper soundcard so I got the cheapest generic whitebox 16bit soundcard that Maplin offered. No ASIO drivers, naturally. However, earlier today I spotted in the latest issue of SOS mention of a generic ASIO driver that will work with anything. I've just downloaded it (http://www.asio4all.com/) and will try it out in a mo.
simpledumbpilot wrote:Also Norbert, are you sure your PC will be fast enough to deal with the Maya 44 if you are having problems with just adding reverb in Cubase?
I will hopefully soon have access to a relatively high-spec laptop, all things being well. The Maya 44 will be used with that. Didn't get a great review in SOS, but I'll only be using it for inputting old 4-track tapes, so latency isn't really an issue, and I'll be needing to run a fair bit of hiss reduction anyway so I don't really need a high-quality audiophile unit right now. The M-Audio Audiophile Firewire unit looks pretty decent though, and will cater for all future requirements that I can think of. I'll just have to magic up a bit of cash from somewhere.

Incidentally the Latency article in the current issue of Sound on Sound recommends PCI or PCMCIA interfaces over USB or Firewire. However the PCMCIA options that allow recording and not just playback are all ridiculously expensive (?450+) so I don't think I have much choice in the matter.
ryansmells
Axe
Axe

Post by ryansmells »

eoin5 wrote:If anyone wants a bassist for some collaboration email me at [email protected], well up for some PF tunes, can do a lot of the effect ridden stuff as well as the normal stuff.
Sounds like we'll be doing Comfortably Numb together!
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Quick note: Asio4all drivers only convert MME drivers to ASIO. My soundcard uses VxD drivers so Asio4all doesn't work. However my main problem with yawning record latency is apparently all down to Tape Type being selected in Audio System Setup rather than Global Disable, so hopefully my long-standing problems are at an end.

Cubase VST/32 v5 R3? That cat's something I can't explain.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Norbert, you should be able to solve your ASIO problem by switching the Direct X drivers that you have (or at least should have), start up Cubase and go...

Options>Audio Setup>System

...you will then see in the top right a pulldown next to ''asio device'', switch to ASIO Direct X FUll Duplex, latency may read 89 milliseconds which is unnoticeable. You may also want to set the file cache scheme in the same box to ''Virtual Tape Recorder'' in the pull down, also check ''Plug-In delay compensation'' too.

One last thing that might be worth a stab is...

Panels>VST True Tape>Activate True Tape

Hopefully that should solve your problems, let us know how you get on.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am going to record a version of See Emily Play for this CD. 8)
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Hey folks, been rushed off my feet this weekend with some unexpected extra work but judging from the PMs Ive received over the weekend it looks like we have everything in place for this to run smoothly now, I'll get all the details mapped out and reply to all the PMs tomorrow, gonna have an early night tonight but watch this space folks!
fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

simpledumbpilot wrote:Hey folks, been rushed off my feet this weekend with some unexpected extra work
yeah its hard for us studs to keep up with all the girls around :roll: :lol: :twisted:
Any Colour
Blade
Blade

covers

Post by Any Colour »

Hello all. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to all this icons and smiley stuff so i'll just get on with it. Will something recorded on cubase be acceptable if it sounds good enough :?: Is that a smiley thing i've just inseted?
Effektor
Embryo
Embryo

Us And Them

Post by Effektor »

Hello

I've done a cover of Us And Them which you can download along with my debut album here: http://www.effektor.no