Drum machines

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
ryansmells
Axe
Axe

Drum machines

Post by ryansmells »

As it seems we have a need for drummers around here I am curious on people's experience with drum machines as an alternative. What I've heard about the newer software based ones is that they sound reasonably close to the real thing (when simulating acoustic drums).

Are there any recommendations for making a fairly realistic drum track that could be used for the tribute cd.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

It depends on which sequencing software you are using, if you have VST support then I recommend visiting http://www.vstcentral.com where you will find a variety of freeware kits.
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

Fruity loops is another great program. you can also do many other instruments with it.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

ironbaden wrote:Fruity loops is another great program. you can also do many other instruments with it.
Well. its not bad and it does have VST support but there are a few too many manipulation restrictions for my liking Im afraid
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

Good point.....It can be a bit of a pain.
Any Colour
Blade
Blade

Post by Any Colour »

Drum machines are basically shit unless you hammer them them like a bastard. Even then they are still shit. Soft drums-well who can be arsed with them. Only the right and side of my zoom rythem track functions (the left hand side is enveloped in a red wine sticky substance after recording fire on the Mountain in a drug and alcohol induced saturday morning). Has anybody got Nick Masons phone number :?:
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

In fact, I recorded one of my tracks with FL drum kit. I just played the loop over and over and, using Cool Edit, I recorded the drum kit and guitar at the same time.
mooninjune
Axe
Axe

Post by mooninjune »

Im doing a cover of saucerful, which is pretty drum intensive so im going to have a problem cos i dont have a drummer...

I use a reason refill called...you guessed it reason drum kit refill and its really good, has its limitiations of course but the way i program drums is quite simple....draw in your pattern...then to get that 'human' feel play in a snare, then a hi-hat, then toms, then bass drum....doesnt matter what order as long as you focus on one part at a time.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I use the drum patches on my keyboard.

It's a little time consuming...and it can be a bit of a headache, but for this project, I've been recording one drum at a time.

I used to record kick and snare drums at the same time onto one track, then all the cymbals on another track, then the toms on a third track.

For this, the kick went to it's own track, the snare to it's own track, each cymbal to it's own track, etc. etc...only the tom's are multiple drums on a single track. It was the only sensible way to do the fills.

The snare still gives everything away...but I'm working with it. I've actually found ways to make the phony cymbals sound more real...likewise the kick.

Still working on that snare, though.
ryansmells
Axe
Axe

Post by ryansmells »

Instead of using a drum machine I ended up using a program called Skale Tracker. Used in combination with samples taken from actual drums it ended up sounding pretty good.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I've been using midi sequencing and just started experimenting with sound fonts. All sounds pretty good. You can get some pretty realistic sounding drums if you're willing to put in the time. I often quantize the hi-hat track to randomize it a little, to give it more of an organic live feel.

However, I'm covering Cirrus Minor, which has no drums (at least not in the PF version), but I'm thinking of adding in some light hand drumming on doumbek or bongos. The album I recorded last year (yet to be released, but should be soon) has a lot of doumbek and shakers and things, but also used sequenced acoustic drum samples.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Hey mooninjune...I was actually working on a cover of Saucer until I saw you had one in progress..no biggie for me...I was flip flopping between Saucer and Cirrus Minor, and it helped me make my decision. :) I'll be looking forward to hearing your version.

When I was working on it, I started by trying to create it on hand drums, but it didn't have that deep, pounding sound I was looking for. So I then started by drawing out the basic rhythm in midi using tom hits, applied generous reverb and an analog delay to the track, and ended up with something that sounded pretty cool. I also laid down a basic kick track, which I ran through an FX filter to get it to sound very squonky and electronic, then bounced it back and forth in the mix for a panning ping pong effect, which went quit nicely with the rhythm loop.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

A real drummer would be best 8)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I've finally gotten a convincing snare drum sound, I think. It requires a great deal of time spent with eq's and compressors and stuff...I don't know if I'll do it ofr this project or not.

I just don't know if I have it in me :D
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

With software like Cubase, a VST plugin like Battery2, a few good "live-in-the-studio" drum samples, and some time on your hands for eq-ing and mastering a lot can be done...
It takes some time to get the drill, but once you're there you can create very realistic drum tracks.

The software isn't cheap however, so unless you're into downloading some illegal try-before-buy version of the mentioned software (which i do NOT recommend), this info probably won't help you much further.

I'm sure there are freeware programs which can do the job, although they will not be as versatile. But I wouldn't know which ones are good.