Oasis - Lyla - Download - MP3

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Make your own mind up here.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I don't understand how they can be so maddeningly popular when it's fairly plain to me, at least, that they're a pile of total, steaming rubbish.

Apologies to everyone who adores them - I've thought they were the Emperor's new clothes since day one. The music is still and has always been sewn together from other people's tunes, which wouldn't be a problem if they did anything interesting with it, but they don't. They play out their borrowed riffs with little sense of dynamics other than extremely loud. And lyrically they are the pits. I cringe a little every time I hear each pre-school rhyming couplet that monobrained/monobrowed neanderthal comes up with. Only these days he's trying desperately to be profound, which comes across as waaaaaaaay more depressingly incompetent than ever before. I fear for the future of Rock 'n' Roll, and I pray they stay too stoned to breed.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The first song I ever heard from Oasis was "Live Forever." I remember thinking to myself, "how is it that I'm struggling in obscurity when someone who sings like THAT can get a label deal?" I don't think I'd ever quite heard THAT combination of sneer/whine before. It really didn't do anything for me.

Then...Wonderwall. Same first immediate thought, only now, they seemed to be getting bigger. And naming a song after a George Harrison financed movie...could it be any more OBVIOUS that The Beatles were an influence? Of course, who HAVEN'T The Beatles influenced...but still...

Champagne Supernova was released as a single during a tranitional period of my life. My first marriage was pretty much over...only the paperwork was left. I had been kind of seeing one woman and wasn't sure where that was going. The song seemed like an even bigger rip-off of something The Beatles might have done.

I first saw the video in a motel room a couple of weeks later with another woman whom I had just fallen in love with, as they say. The imagery of the video was even MORE Faux-Beatlesque (if that's possible,) than the song itself...but this time, it moved me.

Maybe it was just the moment in time that I saw it.

I ended up buying Morning Glory and liking the album in spite of its derivativeness.

I like "D'ya Know What I Mean" enough to still play it at the club several times a week...but I didn't buy that album.

From what I can gather, Oasis have succumbed to what I call "The Def Leppard Syndrome." They are, essentially, trying to recapture the success of their breakthrough album by continually repeating the things that seemed to make that album work.

There's one important element that they're missing out on, though. One of the things that made that album work was the TIME in which it was released.

It's not that time anymore.

I have six words for the Gallagher Brothers:

Even The Beatles tried different things.
paddyt007
Embryo
Embryo

Oasis

Post by paddyt007 »

ok i do realise that the style of oasis albums hasnt changed that much over the years. BUt every time they realese a new single or album they always go in to at least the top 10. I have never heard of an oasis concert that wasnt sold out. So based on this if they are constantly doing well, why change.

And on the subject of oasis music being from the britpop era, i have been an oasis fan for the last 3-4 years basiclly because i was too young to have always been a fan and i think they are a great band and i like to think i have good taste in music.
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Oasis

Post by Slambient Expressway »

paddyt007 wrote:ok i do realise that the style of oasis albums hasnt changed that much over the years. BUt every time they realese a new single or album they always go in to at least the top 10. I have never heard of an oasis concert that wasnt sold out. So based on this if they are constantly doing well, why change.
becuase it's about what the musician wants, not what the fan wants. you shouldn't compromise your music tastes or ambitions just because doing the same thing over is making you rich
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

Althought I never liked Oasis so much, I think Noel Gallagher's kind of cool. I didn't know that he had a contact with Roger because of that issue about DSoTM. Poor Rog :cry: if Noel refused his offer.
I heard only one album from Oasis, it's called be here now, but I didn't like it. Anyway, if they want to go on as a band, they will probably do, althought they make bad albums. Each one of us can choose whatever we want to listen to.
Any colour you like! :wink: