What software did you use?

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

What software did you use?

Post by floydboy75 »

First let me say Bravo! :smt038 You all did a wonderful job! (I must admit that Cymbaline is my favorite though. What a voice!)
Now, my question is what recording software did you guys use? I've been looking at some guitar recording software lately but there are alot of choices. It needs to be something easy to use as I'm fairly new to this. It would be mostly used to record my progress, and to eventually record a few covers of FLoyd.
By the way, I've got a Pod XT that I use now for practice with headphones. I'd like to be able to use this while recording.
Thanks!
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

acid pro 4 i used that after we used a four track tape recorder (tascam porta 2 not the best in the world but cheap and does the job) i bounced it down to the comp with my mix of the tracks then just stuck abit of reverb eq etc over the top..
but you could use acid as a track recorder an put effects on the tracks individually and chop them up volume in out etc
you can download a free trial one just type sony acid pro 4 in your search..?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I used cool edit pro for the track i submitted but usually use cubase sx 2 with lexicon external sound module and effects. 8)
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

I've been looking at GuitarPort RiffTracker lately only because I've already got the PodXT, and it's a simple USB connection to record. Most of what I've seen you have to mic your amp to record it to pc. I want something to plug and play direct in my pc.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I used Cakewalk Home Studio 2004. For reverb and eq'ing and effects, I have a number of Waves plugin's (which are far better than the ones that come with Home Studio). I've recorded with ProTools as well, but not for the track I did for the tribute.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Cool Edit pro with studio plug ins...basically that's about it.
dswain81
Blade
Blade

Post by dswain81 »

I used Madtracker http://www.madtracker.org ..it is free. I also used SoundForge. I have Cubase, but I did not use it on this track.
IainS
Blade
Blade

Post by IainS »

Cubase SL3, impOscar and Absynth 2.....
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

I used Cool Edit Pro. I've tried using other ones, but I'm far too familiar with CEP and don't fancy re-learning the whole interface for some other software.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

db_intheflesh wrote:I used Cool Edit Pro. I've tried using other ones, but I'm far too familiar with CEP and don't fancy re-learning the whole interface for some other software.
Adobe Audition is the same software, rebadged and updated. If you want a newer version, that's it.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

It was Cool Edit and Fruity Loops. Very cheap, eh...
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Cakewalk Version 9 and a butt-load of plug-ins.
missbee
Axe
Axe

Post by missbee »

we used protools. he probably used reason for the keyboards, which is integrated right into protools so it's pretty seamless. protools fricken rocks.
studio_chuck
Embryo
Embryo

Post by studio_chuck »

I used a Johnson J-Station for guitar sounds. Main recording was done with SONAR 4 Studio, various WAVES reverbs and effects, SR16 drum machine, HALion drum machine (soft), a fender strat and a ROLAND JV1010 module for keyboard sounds and synths.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

"sorrow" was originally recorded back in '92 during a reheasal session on good old magnetic tape. at the time i think i was using a tascam 4 track. unfortunately the tape ran out before we had finished recording so it remained an incomplete take. several years later i took that tape and loaded it on my computer using "saw plus" and did some overdubs at that time and did a little looping and pasting to complete the track. a few year after that i used "cool edit pro" to clean it up a bit and remastered it to burn to cd. i was never really happy with either the fidelity or performance on the track, but it's the only time we recorded it, so it is what it is. and now after 13 years, it finally sees the light of day!