What software did you use?

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

Thanks for all the replies!
I'm getting some great ideas on some software to get. I'm trying to go back and see what song each of you did to help me.
Thanks again! :D
Brian
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Not a problem, man.

Just keep in mind that the program used is really only a small part of how the finished product sounds.

There's also a lot to be said for microphone placement and how you use the program that you use, as far as EQ and Compression plug ins.

Also keep in mind that the project on the whole was mastered by Stu using...was it Cool Edit Pro? I forget.

Anyway, there are a myriad of factors to take into consideration...but good luck. I've no doubt you'll find one that'll work for you.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

davidjay wrote:i was never really happy with either the fidelity or performance on the track, but it's the only time we recorded it, so it is what it is. and now after 13 years, it finally sees the light of day!
I think thats part of the beauty of our tribute, by going with the ''by the fans for the fans'' route weve managed to throw recording quality issues out the window, I really dont mean to sound patronising here David, Im just glad we took this stance early in the project which hopefully has been able to let several Floyd fans live a dream or 2, and allow their music to be heard around the world in a situation where other compilations may not allow.
mosespa wrote:Also keep in mind that the project on the whole was mastered by Stu using...was it Cool Edit Pro? I forget.
Oh good lord no! I want nowt to do with Cool Edit, its the Fisher Price of sequencers!! I used Pro-Tools at work whenever we had bands in for rehearsal (which meant all I had to do was plug a few leads in and sit in a chair again afterwards) and then spent some waiting time with cans on working on the tunes, this however is my only regret because Ive only done a headphone mix, I never got the opportunity to do a dual monitor mix which would have been more precise but next time I'll do that, even if it means hanging around after work!
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Sounds great on my bedroom stereo, Stu. NAD 3020A amp and B&O Beovox 30 speakers (designed for small rooms.) I love 70s hi-fi equipment.
Any Colour
Blade
Blade

Post by Any Colour »

Cubase SL on a Carillon audio pc.
IainS
Blade
Blade

Post by IainS »

Any Colour wrote:Cubase SL on a Carillon audio pc.
:shock:
Snap!!
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

I used an old version of Vegas. For the vocals ...I recorded in vegas and then loaded the file into CEP and eq'd. put the file back into vegas.....this was a ton o' fun :lol:
Any Colour
Blade
Blade

Post by Any Colour »

IainS wrote:
Any Colour wrote:Cubase SL on a Carillon audio pc.
:shock:
Snap!!
What machine have you got and are you happy with it??
IainS
Blade
Blade

Post by IainS »

I bought my AC-1 about 3 years ago and have been happy with it ever since.....(although I have upgraded nearly everything inside it, but still.....)
Any Colour
Blade
Blade

Post by Any Colour »

IainS wrote:I bought my AC-1 about 3 years ago and have been happy with it ever since.....(although I have upgraded nearly everything inside it, but still.....)
yeah, i got an AC-1 LE and they put in aDVD player by mistake. It's a tasty machine.
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

Well smack my ass and call my Sally! I recorded myself last night just using Cool Edit Pro and my Pod XT! All I had to do was make my input my Pod and output my soundcard. I can only hear myself while recording with my headphones. But my pc plays it back through my speakers. Now if I can just learn to lay two tracks over one another...
Anywho, I've recorded about 2:30 mins. of my feeble attempt at being Gilmourish. I love it!
And I don't think it sounds too bad for only really been playing about 6 months. I'm so exited!!! The only thing better would be to have two tickets for Live 8 London!
Brian
Welcome to my machine
Blade
Blade

Post by Welcome to my machine »

our band tried to record music using a Boss mulitrack recorder...and we plugged everything in directly....

for people who want a good pure sound with LIFE to it...DONT DO WHAT WE DID....
mic ur amps....as this is where the essence and BEEF is at...ok
tobyhume
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tobyhume »

Tascam Porta2 for "live" bits to avoid the ventilator, then Nero Wave Editor to trim and normalize, XGWorks for midi tracks and Timidity to convert to Wave using soundfonts cobbled together with Awave, finally putting the bits together in Samplitude.