Live 8 DVD out in November from EMI

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Live 8 DVD out in November from EMI

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/artic ... 00,00.html

EMI has scored a coup over rival music companies by securing the DVD rights to this weekend?s Live 8 concerts after agreeing to pay several million pounds upfront to the event?s organisers, The Times has learnt.

The British music group won a hotly contested bidding war for the rights to release a DVD of the event by offering the organisers a generous cut of the profits and a large advance that will go towards paying for staging the concerts.

The worldwide event will feature a reunion of the group Pink Floyd as well as performances by artists including Coldplay, Madonna, Green Day, 50 Cent, Paul McCartney and U2. The concerts on Saturday will take place simultaneously in Hyde Park in London and cities including Philadelphia, Paris and Toronto.

The Live 8 DVD is expected to generate greater sales than the original Live Aid videos, which were published by Warner Music Group and sold more than a million units.

The more recently issued Live Aid DVD was so popular that WMG released a shortened highlights disc, profits from which are also split with the charity.

Live 8 is likely to be released on DVD in November and is expected to comprise at least two discs. Details such as price have yet to be set.

Bob Geldof, one of the event?s organisers, said: ?I hope this will be the biggest selling DVD of all time. It deserves to be.?

The promoters of Live 8 will use their share of the profits from the DVDs to help to eradicate poverty and famine.

?It will help us achieve our goal of changing the lives of the extreme poor for the better and making our generation the one that helped end the disgrace of poverty,? Mr Geldof said.

The total cost of the concerts is forecast to be between ?20 million and ?25 million. Mr Geldof has secured a $5 million (?2.75 million) loan to underwrite the event and raised a further ?10 million from sponsors and broadcasters.

Nokia, the mobile phone handset company, has signed a ?5 million deal to become a global sponsor, while the BBC has paid about ?2 million for the British TV rights. AOL, the internet service provider, will pay about ?3 million as an official sponsor and will transmit the concerts over the internet.

The concerts are being held ahead of the G8 summit in Edinburgh, where Live 8 organisers will present world leaders with what they describe as ?workable plan to double aid, drop debt and make trade laws fair?.

Tony Wadsworth, chairman and chief executive of EMI Music in the UK and Ireland, said: ?The artists appearing at the Live 8 concerts represent the world?s biggest names in music and it?s a huge honour for EMI to be the company entrusted with the release of this unique project.?

More than 130,000 people are expected to attend the concert in Hyde Park, with similar numbers tipped for the Palais de Versailles in Paris and the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

What should we do about the torrent now Keith?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

simpledumbpilot wrote:What should we do about the torrent now Keith?
Mmmm. I dont think this website should have anything to do with it as EMI would be most displeased!! I can fully imagine someone putting it on the likes of http://www.torrentBox.com or somewhere like that!! :lol: Inevitably, a link would probably appear on this site! Some people! :? :roll: :D
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Looking at the report above there is a chance that the footage may be incomplete so what might be best then is to hang on and if theres any Floyd tracks or other footage of them missing we could always do a sort of Live 8 supplement disc with the Nick on the news interview and anything else that may turn up related to it.
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

In the end, and even though I'll definitely be first in line to download the RoIO, I'll certainly be first in line to buy the DVD too. Not only will it be 100% professionally made, but my bucks will be going to what's shaping up to be the most worthy cause of the 21st century.

See you all in the line-up :lol:
soda25
Embryo
Embryo

Post by soda25 »

I hope the DVD will be available here in Mexico.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Mooner wrote: what's shaping up to be the most worthy cause of the 21st century.
:
I think its more complicated than you make out.

I heard on the readaio they are going to make different editions of the dvd with different performances on them, possably choose your own.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

If a teensy weensy fifteen minute pf performance happened to slip out on this site, I'm sure EMI would see that as a brilliant means of encouraging all of us closet Maria Carey and Madonna fans to buy the DVD to get their performances too!
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Norbert Wilkins wrote:If a teensy weensy fifteen minute pf performance happened to slip out on this site, I'm sure EMI would see that as a brilliant means of encouraging all of us closet Maria Carey and Madonna fans to buy the DVD to get their performances too!
Closet Madonna and Mariah fans? I think it would be best, in that case, to stay in that closet. Just lock yourselves in and don't come out, please... :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Lock yourself in like Syd Barrett locked his bird in that closit that time! :lol: getting fed on biscuits!
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Keith Jordan wrote:Lock yourself in like Syd Barrett locked his bird in that closit that time! :lol: getting fed on biscuits!
....exactly..... :lol:
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Will Syd be on the DVD?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

bpmolder wrote:Closet Madonna and Mariah fans? I think it would be best, in that case, to stay in that closet. Just lock yourselves in and don't come out, please... :lol:
...and don't feel that you don't have to smother yourself with the pillows...
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

For some reason i dont think that we have to fear for the absence of the Pink Floyd tracks on any dvd that has anything at all to do with LIVE8. Basically the head-line act really.